Kay is a young mother, amateur photographer and full-time working Canadian with many tricks and words of advice up her fleecy plaid sleeves.
Where to Start?
The first place to start is getting to know the person you are gifting for. I know it may sound silly for those who have been in long-term relationships or who’ve known the person for quite sometime, but for some people it may not be so obvious.
Ask the following questions below to get a better idea of who you are buying for. This will help you find inspiration or at the very least, a sense of direction of where to start your gift search!
Getting to Know Your Gift Receiver:
1. What are their hobbies or interests?
2. Who do they follow on Facebook or Instagram?
3. Do they participate in any sports or extra curriculars?
4. Where do they work?
5. What food or beverages do they enjoy?
Make sure to note if they have any allergies or food restrictions. Wouldn't that be the worst to receive a box of chocolate pecan turtles and be allergic to nuts!?
Size Doesn't Matter... the Heart Behind it Does!
Homemade Gifts are Special
You do not necessarily need money to provide the ultimate gift! Some gifts are homemade with love. Sometimes just seeing or knowing the time and effort put into the gift is what makes them more precious!
The best homemade gift ideas:
- Baked Goods (Cookies, Brownies, Cupcakes, Pie, etc.)
- Food (Meat pie, lasagna, perogies, etc.)
- Sewn/Knitted Clothing (Hats, Scarfs, Mittens, Socks, etc.)
- Beauty Products (Body Scrub, Lip balm, Bath Salts/Bombs, etc.)
- Candles (tealights, espresso cup candles, mason jar candles, etc.)
- Alcohol (beer, wine or spirits, etc.)
Build-up the Perfect Gift
Gift Basket Guide: Whether You Are Building or Buying
There are many places online and in-store where you can find a pre-made gift basket that meets your gift receiver's criteria. Another popular option is to put a more personal twist on the basket and build it yourself!
Best Gift Basket Ideas:
- The Coffee/Tea Basket- Include a variety of coffee and/or tea but make sure you know whether your gift receiver has a coffee machine to determine what form of coffee to buy (whole beans, ground, Nespresso pods or k-cups). You could even include a cute coffee mug or tea cup to add on-to this basket.
- The Beer & Nuts Basket- Include some of their favorite beers or some good local craft beer alongside a variety of nuts.
- The Wine & Cheese Basket- This is personally one of my favorites! Include their favorite bottle of wine or add a bottle you know personally is tasty. If you are not a wine drinker, ask one of your wine drinking friends/family for some suggestions. Pick out some nice cheeses to go with the wine (Brie, Camembert, swiss, extra old, etc). You could even add a cute wine opener or wine glass to this basket.
- The Netflix Junkie Basket- Since we are all streaming these days, why not provide a basket full of goodies to keep your Netflix streak rolling. Include popcorn (regular or caramel), popcorn seasoning, candy (skittle, starburst, sour keys, cherry blasters, etc.), chocolate (Kit Kats, Maltesers, Snickers, Mars Bars, etc.) and don't forget the chips (Doritos, Salt & Vinegar, Pringles, etc.)!
- The Beauty/Bathroom Basket- Can include shampoo, conditioner, luffa, bar of soap, soap dish, liquid hand soap, face masks, nail care kit (clippers, files, polish, etc.), black head strips, deodorant, poo pourri, air freshener, candle, moisturizer, make-up (eyeliner, lipstick, eye shadow, etc.), shaving supplies (razors, shaving cream, etc.), towel, wash cloths, bath robe, hair products (gel, hairspray, anti-frizz serum, etc.).
- The Great Canadian Basket- Include items that can only be found in Canada such as; Hickory Sticks, Ruffles All-dressed Chips, Lays Ketchup Chips, Real Canadian Maple Syrup, Caesar mix, The Decadent Chocolate Chip Cookie by President's Choice, Laura Secord Chocolates, Dunk-a-roos, Hawkins Cheezies, Coffee Crisp, Kinder Surprises (with toy inside), Smarties, Roots Clothing, Bit and Bites, Fudgee-O's, Purdy's Chocolate, Nanaimo Bars, Bay Blanket, Molson Canadian and Red River Cereal.
There Are Presents For Everyone, Everywhere!
|Local Buys (Quebec)||Country Buys (Canada)||International Buys (Worldwide)|
Box of fine Chocolates from Chocolat Favoris
Unique, comfy and stylish tights by Rachel
Personalized items like jewelry, clothing, kitchenware and more on Etsy
Locally made food (Jams, Honey, Pastries etc.) from Le Grande Marche
Beautiful, hand-crafted boots and winter apparel that will last you a lifetime by Manitobah Mukluks
Quirky or sentimental gifts that can be personalized such as the "Hand-written letter blanket" found on Uncommon Goods
Locally made Alcohol (Gin, Cider, Beer, etc.) from the SAQ
Customized books by Hooray Heroes
Give the gift of an experience they won't forget by booking an Escape Room! They can be found almost anywhere.
It's All About Presentation!
Scratch Posters Are Fun For All!
You Could Even Buy Them a... Subscription Box!
Top 10 recommendations:
- Jerky Snob
- Hot Sauce of the Month
- Escape the Crate
- Panty by Post
- Carnivore Club
- Bespoke Post
Colorful Gifts Create a Reaction!
Bath Bombs Make for a Great Smelling, Colorful Gift!
Who Says You Have to Buy Them a Present, How About an Activity?
You do not necessarily need to buy a gift to make the present special. Why not take them out for a special night on the town or get a gift card for an activity they've always wanted to try but have never had a chance to!
Alternative Gift Ideas:
- Restaurant Gift Card
- Concert Tickets
- Aquarium or Zoo Passes
- Museum Tickets
- Hockey Game or Sports Game Tickets
- Spa Day Pass
- Winery, Brewery or Distillery Tour
- Chocolate Factory Tour
- Cheese Factory Tour
- Book a Hotel Stay
- Rent a Chalet
- Skiing/Snowboarding Mountain Pass
- Axe Throwing
- Whale Watching
- Escape Room
- Hot Air-Balloon Ride
- All-Day Cruise
My Personal Favorite Stores
I love to shop and especially when the shopping is to buy gifts for my friends or family!
Here is a list of some of my favorite stores that never disappoint:
- American Eagle
- Old Navy
- Canadian Tire
- Bath & Body Works
Never Wait Until The Last Minute, Be Prepared!
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2020 QCmom