From India. An unlearner, freelancer and amateur cook. I often used 'Awesomeness'!
When you have a blocked nose, no way are you going to get any work done. You are busy sneezing, hold tissues close to your nose all the time, your nerves in nose and forehead are jammed, so much so that your eyes start watering. If you identify with all of this, then Indian home remedies for cold relief and stuffy nose are ideal for you. Numerous cold remedies have been talked about and written about all over the web, but it’s the natural home remedies that have worked best for me and they also prove beneficial for pollen grain allergies or hives or hay fever which lead to stuffy nose, blocked or running nose.
Cold Home Remedies Herbal Tea
1> Indian Herbal Tea or Kadho (Gujarati) Ukada (Hindi)
Indians have depended on home remedies for ages to cure every single thing. To prevent cold or ease nasal congestion with herbal teas or Kadho (Gujarati word for herbal tea) is one of their forte and these teas should be consumed at least twice a day. Here is how to make a simple tea to cure a cold easily.
Herbal Teas That Ease Cold
Cold Home Remedies Steam
2> Steam: Easiest way to ease blocked nose
Here is how you must take a steam at home to find cold relief if you do not have a steaming machine at home:
- Take a wide mouthed vessel, heat it on your gas burner and sit comfortably.
- Next to it so that you can easily bend over the vessel with face down on the steam arising from the following mentioned combinations. You need to take the steam for at least 15-25 minutes. You can go up to 30 minutes.
- When you are done quickly wrap your face with a soft warm cloth so that now your face doesn’t come in contact with any wind or air.
- take a short nap. While you are taking steam therapy as one of the home remedies to ease stuffy nose, you must breathe through your nose and allow it to melt the mucus so that it can be blown out the natural way.
Home Remedies Poultice
3> Home Remedies Cold Poultice
In many Indian households when the cold becomes too strong that it clogs the nerves in the forehead, around the eyes and nose almost giving you a maddening headache, they apply different homemade poultices. One of the most popular amongst them for cold relief is asafoetida.
Mix about two tablespoons of asafoetida in enough water to immerse it. Heat the combination and stir continuously, until it becomes a thick paste.
Turn off the flame and let it turn cool a bit to warm before applying it on the forehead and nose. Be careful about not apply it too close to eyes. Apply if before you go to sleep and let it dry before you fall asleep. In the morning this home remedy for cold would have done wonders. Wash it off with warm water, do not rub it hard or else it may leave your skin dry. Repeat it, only if severe cold persists.
In the morning this home remedy for easing stuffy nose would have done wonders. Wash it off with warm water, do not rub it hard or else it may leave your skin dry. Repeat it each night, only if severe cold persists.
Ease blocked nose with smell based home remedy
Of course your nose is clogged with cold and you can’t smell your favourite cheese pizza but you can definitely smell the overpowering stench of garlic, asafoetida, lemon and cayenne pepper.Keep them handy in your kitchen or wherever you travel.
- Keep taking a whiff of one of this ingredient once in awhile about 20 times a day and by the end of the common cold treatment would be done and you would be ready to party without a running nose.
- You could wrap them in a handkerchief or tissue paper, in case you think the smell is way too strong.
I am sure there are many more home remedies in your mother’s kitchen which can cure cold effectively and quickly than any allopathic medication, but these are the primary ones that have worked best for numerous people across the world.
- 4 Attitudes You Should Develop to be Successful
Simple tips to be Successful. Develop these in your attitude and see how success come running after you!
- Common Mistakes To Avoid While Eggless Baking Cakes
Many a times baking an eggless cake is a disaster and haven't really found any completely helpful articles to fix them. So, here is putting my personal experience in words to avoid same mistakes.
- Ten Cooking Oil Burn Home Remedies and Treatments
Quick home remedies to immediately deal with a skin burn caused by cooking oil; to avoid boils full of puss or leave ugly marks. If case of fatal burns these remedies'll provide temporary relief.
- Indigestion and Constipation Home Remedies that Actu...
Quick and effective constipation cures in the form of home remedies for slow digestion and indigestion with figs, juices, exercising, yoga and laxatives that are safe for your body
Rehana Stormme on June 29, 2012:
Really helpful hub! The best way to prevent colds is to build up your immune system by eating nutrition dense foods and keeping away from unsalubrious foods.
Shivani Gala (author) from India on July 23, 2010:
Thanks for stopping by. Steam works best for me!!!
Haydee Anderson from Hermosa Beach on July 23, 2010:
thanks, i oftentimes have colds, then running nose due to my allergies. i will remember to keep them handy