I am a foodie who loves to test out new cuisine whenever I can. My taste buds tend to lean more towards spicy, rich flavors.
How You Can Combat Hypertension
Hypertension is rather common nowadays. If you are hypertensive, then you must be looking for ways to combat your blood pressure. The fruit and vegetable recipes mentioned on this page will help you with just that.
Additionally, this page also educates you about hypertension causes and hypertension symptoms.
Remember that the fruit and vegetable juices mentioned here can only help you in combating hypertension in a mild way and would be beneficial for you if you include them in your diet - but never totally rely on them. They are not meant as an alternative or a stand-alone treatment. The medications provided to you by your doctor should be continued.
Fruit and Vegetable Juice Recipe #1
Makes 2 glasses.
- Carrots (6 Nos.) medium-sized - chopped into pieces.
- Celery sticks (6 Nos.) with leaves intact -- chopped.
- Parsley stems (10 Nos.) with leaves intact - chopped.
- 2 pearls of garlic (or you can even use 2 garlic cloves instead of this).
- Crushed ice.
How to Make This Fruit and Vegetable Juice
You can either make this juice using a juicer or using a blender. The choice is up to you!
- If you are using a juicer, you can finish making this fruit and vegetable juice easily. All you need to do is juice all the ingredients together and you're done. Serve with crushed ice.
- If you are using a blender, you need to mix all the ingredients with a little water. After that, strain the juice using a strainer. Serve with crushed ice.
Nutritional Values Per Glass
Energy - 148 KCal.
Protein - 2.9 Gm.
Carbohydrate - 32.6 Gm.
Fat - 0.6 Gm.
Potassium - 356.1 Mg.
Vitamin C - 15.1 Mg.
Fibre - 4.0 Mg.
Garlic is very good in detoxifying the system and is considered effective in naturally lowering blood pressure. By having a glass of this juice on a daily basis you can ensure that your blood pressure remains in check.
Fruit and Vegetable Juice Recipe #2 To Combat/Treat Hypertension/High Blood Pressure
Makes 2 Glasses.
- Carrots (4 Nos.) - Medium Sized -- chopped into pieces.
- Half cup black grapes.
- Crushed ice.
(Same as the procedure shown in the fruit/vegetable juice recipe #1)
Nutritive Values Per Glass
Energy - 121 KCal.
Protein - 2.0 Gm.
Carbohydrate - 27.0 Gm.
Fat - 0.5 Gm.
Potassium - 216.0 Mg.
Zinc - 0.8 Mg.
Iron - 2.2 Mg.
Carrots help in maintaining a normal blood pressure level because of their potassium content which helps in balancing the salt levels in our body. Black grapes are added to give a little sweetness to the juice.
What Causes High Blood Pressure?
Some causes of high blood pressure include -
- Our lifestyle - Smoking, stress, and potassium deficiency can be some of the attributes that lead to hypertension.
- Hereditary reasons - Some people might get also get hypertensive because of genetic reasons. If there is a family history of hypertensive people, then the chances of getting hypertension are more.
- Due to illnesses/diseases - Are you suffering from any type of disease or illness? Maybe the high blood pressure might be attributed to that problem.
What Is Hypertension?
What is the exact definition of hypertension?
Wikipedia describes it as a chronic health condition wherein your blood pressure is elevated to a level that is higher than normal. The term "hypertension" basically refers to arterial hypertension. A normal blood pressure reading should be 120/80 mmHg (millimeters of mercury). If a person has blood pressure readings more than the normal levels, then he/she is considered to be hypertensive.
Some people are diagnosed with mild hypertension. In other words, mild hypertension is also referred to as pre-hypertension. The constant systolic blood pressure readings of a person who is mildly hypertensive are between 120-139 whereas the diastolic reading is between 80-89. People who suffer from mild hypertension mostly are prone to hypertension and hence should take appropriate measures when it comes to diet and exercise.
A very serious classification of hypertension includes pulmonary hypertension. A person is considered to be pulmonary hypertensive if there is an increase in blood pressure with respect to the pulmonary artery, pulmonary vein, and pulmonary capillaries. Pulmonary hypertension can even lead to heart failure. There are 5 major types of pulmonary hypertension and treatment is done accordingly depending on the type.
High blood pressure in the portal vein and tributaries can lead to a type of hypertension named portal hypertension.
Symptoms of Hypertension/High Blood Pressure
Mild hypertension is usually symptom-less. If you have high blood pressure then you might have the following symptoms -
- Frequent headaches
- Vision impairment
- Breathing difficulty
It has also been seen that hypertension is encountered in women during pregnancy.
Treatments for High Blood Pressure/Hypertension
If there is a hypertension crisis, then you need to consult the doctor immediately to get the best treatments and cures.
Treatment for high blood pressure include -
- Taking proper hypertension medications.
- Following a high blood pressure exercise program. You can get some tips from your own doctor or you can refer online for some great advice.
- Taking special care in diet. You can include the two yummy fruit and vegetable juices I have mentioned here in your diet in order to combat hypertension.
Choo on February 11, 2012:
Thank you for sharing the recipes. Very useful since the ingredients are readily available here.
bingskee from Quezon City, Philippines on February 05, 2012:
i hope this juice tastes good. will try it. clicked the useful button. :-)
kelleyward on December 26, 2011:
Have you heard of hibiscus tea lowering blood pressure? Just wondering.... Thanks for the interesting hub.
lola sethdavid on November 30, 2011:
beautiful, I will surely put to use.
weseppers on May 26, 2011:
Wow, amazing stuff, thanks for knowing.
pmccray from Utah on April 22, 2011:
Thank you for this valuable information. My late husband died of complications of hypertension at the tender age of 42. Voted up, marked useful and bookmarked.
sairakhan from Bombay , India on April 09, 2011:
ya you are rite blood pressure can be controlled by natural things instead of medicines.Nice recipes of juices.thanks for telling.this is a common issue nowadays and everybody is suffering from it.
read Bollywood and Hollywood movie reviews, news and gossips