Increasing cases of mucormycosis (more commonly known as black fungus) and white fungus among Covid-19 patients have been reported from many states across the country.
However, reports emerged that a patient from Uttar Pradesh's Ghaziabad had been diagnosed with "yellow fungus". We take a closer look at three fungal infections and see the similarities and differences between them.
What is fungus ?
Fungus is one of the most widely distributed organisms on Earth and is of great environmental and medical importance. Most fungi live free in soil or water; others form a parasitic or symbiotic relationship with animals or animals.
As fungus contains no chlorophyll for it is considered separate from the plant.
The most common fungus including yeast, rusts, smuts, fungi, molds, and mushrooms.
What is white fungus?
- White Fungus or Candidiasis is a yeast fungus caused by a type of fungus called Candida.
- Candida usually lives on the skin and in the middle of the body, in areas such as the mouth, throat, abdomen, and vagina, without causing problems.
- Candida can cause infection if it grows uncontrollably or penetrates deep into the body (for example, blood flow or internal organs such as the kidneys, heart, or brain).
- The most common species to cause infection are Candida albicans.
Symptoms of white fungus -
- People experience symptoms like Covid when it reaches the lungs such as a chest infection, even though they are found to be free of the virus.
- The white fungus affects the lungs and other organs including the nails, skin, stomach, kidneys, brain, genitals, and mouth.
- This infection can be caused due to low immunity, or if people come in contact with things that contain these molds like water, etc.
- Children and women are more at risk of contracting a fungal infection.
- Like the black fungus, the white fungus is also more likely to afflict people with compromised immune systems, pre-existing medical conditions, AIDS, a recent kidney transplant, or diabetes.
How can you protect yourself from white fungus?
- People with low immune systems are more prone to these fungal infections, so it is necessary to keep the immune system healthy.
- Keep your environment clean and dust-free.
Diagnosis and treatment
- CT scans or X-Rays can reveal the condition.
- Patients with white fungus are currently being treated with anti-fungal drugs.
What is yellow fungus?
- Unlike black and white, yellow fungus builds up inside, causing pus to leak, and leading to slow healing of wounds. In some critical cases, it can continue to lead to harmful symptoms such as immune failure and necrosis (cell damage). The first case of Yellow Fungus in humans was reported in Ghaziabad to a 45-year-old man who had recovered from COVID-19.
Symptoms of yellow fungus
- Weight loss
- Excessive anger
- Decreased appetite or malnutrition
- Internal bleeding
- Honey leakage
- Failure of members
- Slight treatment of wounds
- Yellow mold thrives in unhealthy and high humidity conditions or uses unhealthy foods.
- Areas with unhygienic conditions or humidity above 30 to 40 percent are home to germs and fungi.
How can you protect yourself from yellow fungus?
- Fungal infections are usually spread by poor hygiene, so it is important to have good hygiene practices.
- Keep your environment clean.
- Remove old food from the house to prevent the growth of fungus or bacteria.
Moisture also plays an important role, so keep your humidity level between 30% to 40%.
Diagnosis and treatment
- The treatment of yellow fungus is similar to that of Black fungus or White fungus. The main treatment for infection with the anti-fungal Amphotericin-B.
- Health experts say that curing Yellow fungus lasts longer than black or white fungus.
What is black fungus or mucormycosis?
- It is a serious but rare fungal disease caused by a group of fungi called mucormycosis.
- It mainly affects people with health problems or who are taking antiretroviral drugs
- It occurs by inhaling, uptake of spores from the environment.
Mucormycosis no longer spreads among humans or between humans and animals.
- They attack the surrounding blood vessels and destroy them resulting in tissue necrosis and death. it strongly affects the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses and can include the eye, causing blindness and from there it can spread to the brain
Symptoms of black fungus
- Nasal congestion
- Facial pain
- Blurred vision
- Watery eyes
How can you protect from black fungus?
- Avoiding areas with a lot of dust like construction or excavation sites.
- Avoiding direct contact with water-damaged buildings and flood water after hurricanes and natural disasters.
- Avoiding activities that involve close contact with soil.
Diagnosis and Treatment
- Mucormycosis requires treatment with antibiotics.
- In some cases, surgery may be required
Comparison between above 3 fungus
|White Fungus||Yellow Fungus||Black Fungus|
Commonly found in
Anrifungal medicine,Ampphoterin-B injection
Both brain and lungs
Blood vessel and brain
Tips to prevent fungal infections -
The only treatment for black fungus, white fungus, and yellow fungus is the injection of Amphotericin B, a broad-spectrum antibiotic.
So after recovering from COVID-19
- Wise use of steroids and monitoring blood sugar levels
- Keep your environment clean and free of dust and water.
- Maintain a clean mouth and nose.
- Try to stay indoors and do regular exercise or exercise.
- Avoid construction sites, stadiums, and grounds
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.