Toddler diarrhea and cold - home remedies
Cold, cough and chest congestion in babies
My child used to get cold, cough and chest congestion very frequently till he is one year old. He never used to get fever till he is one year old. But cold, cough, running nose and chest congestion was frequent. Child used to get a cold and cough every month and each cold lasts for 3 weeks. After 1 year he began getting fever along with cold and cough. I know many parents suffer like me when the infant is caught by cold and cough. I will explain how I managed by child’s cold, cough and fever.
Baby not gaining weight ? Stomach worms may be the reason - Symptoms in children and Home Remedies
Foods that would help babies and infants pass motion
Foods that cause cold in infants and children
Why my baby gets cold, cough and fever often? What should I do to avoid cold and fever for my child?
- I can say that you cannot prevent your child getting cold and cough. Infants do get cold often as their developing immune system is not ready to ward off cold virus. From my experience avoiding three things may help you avoid cold in infants.
- Never take the child to any house or gatherings where people with cold and fever are present. Cold transfers easily from adults to infants. Avoid taking the child to crowded places. When parents get cold avoid having close contacts with the baby.
- Avoid taking baby to parks, beaches and other places where cool air and wind chills the atmosphere. When my son was 5 months old I took him to park. He got a cold that very day.
- Infant should not be given cool fruits and vegetables. Certain foods, fruits, vegetables and cereals would cool baby’s body and cause cold. See cold causing fruits, grains and vegetables. Foods that cause cold should be avoided for children under 1 year old. For example, my child had a cold triggered by having the juice of dry grapes.
- Infants should not be put in humid climate as they sweat and get cold. Whenever I take my infant son to the terrible Chennai heat he gets cold and cough. Infants can manage winter if they are properly dressed. But extreme heat is difficult for them.
Effective simple diarrhea remedy
How to take care of an infant with cold?
I would say that the most difficult job for a mother is taking care of an infant who is affected with cold, cough and fever. My child would get up several times and cry non-stop when he has a cold. I cannot console him as he get severe nasal congestion. He won’t let me put saline drops in his nose. He would just cry for long time. I make him sleep by putting in my shoulder and make him sleep with head slightly elevated. Using two thin pillows adjust the head position, keeping the head elevated. This would help baby sleep peacefully. You can also run a vaporizer so that baby gets the vapors. Applying Vicks Vaporub is found to be less effective for babies. Vicks has not helped my baby. When baby gets up at night give him water. Babies are thirsty when they get cold. Do not let baby sweat. Sweating would bring cough. Also do not keep baby just below the fan. Too much of cool air can cause cough. Do not give baths frequently when baby has cold and cough.
Children must eat vegetables - Tasty mixed vegetable recipe for toddlers
Food to cure baby cough – Home remedies for baby cough
If your baby is below one year old, just give warm water to baby. Ginger honey mix is also good for infant cough and cold. If your baby is above 1 year old give him half boiled egg with cumin seed powder (jeera powder) added to it. Giving this for 1 week would cure cough and cold. If baby has fever, do not give egg.
How to sweeten baby milk without sugar
Warming baby chest for relieving cough and chest congestion
When my baby has a bad cold and cough I do warm his chest. Heat a handful of fennel seeds (perumjeerakam) in a pan and put in a piece of cloth. Now wrap the cloth with fennel seeds inside it. Now warm baby’s chest slowly. This would help relieve chest congestion and cough.
Natural colic remedy
What to do if infant has fever?
Give good care to the baby if he has a fever. Give the child crocin syrup and never let fever go beyond 104 degree Fahrenheit. I do give my child meftal syrup if there is a high fever. Watch the sick child. Do not let fever rise. If you find that fever is rising give crocin syrup at the right time. I don’t recommend sponging baby with water when he has fever. Giving crocin at the right time is the best option. Do not let fever rise considerably. Attend the child carefully when he gets a fever.
peachy from Home Sweet Home on December 12, 2014:
baby problems are more chronic than toddlers. Cough flu are the irritating and headache for me
misbah on February 23, 2013:
ur article is highly effective thank u so much......
Shining Irish Eyes from Upstate, New York on September 27, 2012:
I had no idea it could be harmful in humid temperatures but this makes perfect since now that you've listed it here. Humid conditions add to the congestive state.