What is motivation?....
Motivation is something that drives us to complete a task, a challenge, it's something that drives us from within. In other words it's a reason for doing something. Some of us need more motivating than others, some people are self motivated and some need to be motivated by others. It doesn't matter how we are motivated, just finding what motivates us is what is important. The right motivation can help us to improve our lifestyles or to tackle that task that we know is going to be a challenge. Finding something that motivates us can mean the difference between failure and success.
Why is motivation important?....
If we have no motivation, then we have no real reason for doing anything. Imagine that - a life without reason. When we approach a task with a ''What's the point?'' attitude, then we see no real reason for doing that task, so we lack motivation and chances are we won't finish what we start, if indeed we start at all. That is why finding what motivates us is so important.
Focus on how you'll feel when you've completed your task or challenge. Feeling good is always good motivation.
Tell yourself that you'll treat yourself when you've completed what you've set out to do.
Books to help you get motivated.
What motivates us?....
We are all motivated in different ways, some of us find we need others to help motivate us. We may need a bit of healthy competition to keep us motivated or we may be able to motivate ourselves, here are some examples...
- A person goes to see the doctor and is told that if they don't lose weight they could be heading for a heart attack or stroke. That person is then motivated to loose weight, it won't make losing weight any easier, but there is now a justifiable reason for for losing weight.
- An elderly person looses their partner of many years and feels they have no reason to live. That person must find something to live for. They may find that getting a pet helps as it will give them something else to focus on, a dog will need walking and feeding. There's nothing like a wet snout in the face to get you out of bed in the morning!! Or maybe a cat maybe better suited, whatever the animal it'll need looking after......If you know someone in this position, take the time to ask them how they are, maybe invite around for a coffee. Just knowing someone cares might be all the motivation they need to get out of bed in the morning.
- Doing things for charity is a good way to get and stay motivated. In doing things for others our chances of success are higher because we have a good reason for doing whatever it is we are doing for the charity. We are motivated by doing something for someone else.
Some ways I stay motivated....
It's not always easy, I'll tell you that....
- When I find myself constantly repeating things to my children and I feel like I can't do it anymore. I remind myself that what I take the time to teach them now, may well make them decent human beings when they are older and that's enough to keep me motivated in motivating them to get things done - a bit of a tongue twister that!!
- Leaving my warm bed for an early morning run isn't always fun, but what motivates me is how I'll feel after my run. I thrive on happy hormones!!
- My motivation for writing on HubPages is that maybe someone will read one of my hubs and enjoy it or find it of interest.
Now you've no excuses...
You now know what motivation is and why it's important. You've just got to find what motivates you, it doesn't matter what it is as long as it works for you. It could be as simple as treating yourself to that magazine you normally wouldn't buy...
- How To Get Motivated?
Got Questions, Get Answers.
- Self-Motivation Tips
Have you ever set a goal to accomplish something, then eventually forget about your goal, or tell yourself it was useless and quit trying to achieve it? If so, you lacked the self-motivation you needed....
Demas W Jasper from Today's America and The World Beyond on December 11, 2014:
You have motivated me to write this compliment. Thanks, great job.
Debbie Roberts (author) from Greece on February 07, 2012:
Hi instantlyfamily I'm glad you found my hub motivating. We are having a pretty miserable winter here at the moment and I know that I'm finding it difficult to stay motivated, reading comments like yours helps...Thank you....
instantlyfamily on February 06, 2012:
This hub is inspirational! It is so well written and filled with wonderful tips for success. You have motivated and inspired me today and for that I am grateful! I am voting UP, of course!!!
Debbie Roberts (author) from Greece on January 31, 2012:
Thank you urmilashukla for reading my hub..I agree and being motivated is what keeps us striving for success.
Urmila from Rancho Cucamonga,CA, USA on January 30, 2012:
Great article! Motivation is very important in life as it determines the success and happiness. Voted up!
Debbie Roberts (author) from Greece on November 07, 2011:
Thank you.....I think that it can be down to personality to a degree and as with anything in life some people find things easier to do than others. To set yourself a goal and succeed brings a feeling of satisfaction. I think sometimes people set their goals unrealistically high and expect too much so they end up feeling deflated if they don't achieve their goal, in which case they have nothing to drive their motivation next time.
Danette Watt from Illinois on November 07, 2011:
It's interesting to think about why one person can be self-motivated and self-disciplined enough to make goals, follow through with them or make lifestyle changes and someone else can't or won't make those changes. Nicely written hub.
mariajob from Nigeria on October 25, 2011:
without motivation, there is no life, we just have to be motivated by something or the idea of something to make us want to live further each day because life my dear is a mirage!
Debbie Roberts (author) from Greece on October 24, 2011:
Thank you for your support, finding something that motivates us is so important, but not always easy.
Ram Bansal from India on October 24, 2011:
wOw, a great post signifying motivation in life. A must read for everyone.
Ruchira from United States on October 24, 2011:
Motivation is very important in everybody's life 'cause that is the drive that keeps us going...or else we will be all depressed and dejected from what life throws at us.
good topic and great hub...voted up!