Do you lack concentration? Have you tried several things, but have been unable to improve your concentration? Then you must give tratak a shot. Tratak is a yogic technique that helps in improving concentration. Yoga provides several health benefits, both for the body and mind. Tratak is one such yogic exercise, which is simple yet, very powerful.
What is Tratak
Very simply put, tratak is simply gazing an object for a long time. In tratak, you simply keep an object in front of you and practice staring at it for a long time without a lapse in your concentration or blinking your eye lids. The object is usually small such as a dot, a small circle or a candle flame, and is fixed. Tratak is a form of meditation in which you tame your mind from being distracted. The simple science behind the success of tratak is that when you are focused on a single point, your third eye is activated and other parts of your brain pretty much shut down, blocking all other thoughts.
There are two forms of tratak: external and internal tratak. While the external tratak, done for a long time, significantly improves your concentration, the internal tratak is said to be far more powerful with a potential to give you psychic powers. The internal tratak is usually practiced by sadhaks and yogis, who want to enhance their psychic powers.
In this form of tratak, you constantly gaze on an external point. This maybe a candle flame, a black dot, a circle, a triangle or whatever object you can think of (however, avoid objects such as TV, sun or computer screen due to their harmful rays). The most commonly used objects however a candle or lamp flame, or a black dot on the wall. The procedure for this type tratak is very simple. Pick a point of focus, keep it at a safe distance at eye level and position it as shown in the picture. Sit comfortably in a meditative position, relax your mind and start gazing at the object as long as possible without blinking your eyes. You can continue gazing at the point till your eyes start watering or your eyes feel a strain. Ideally, start with a couple of minutes gazing with a short break. Repeat a few times.
Internal tratak simply means that you are closing your eyes and focusing at a point on your forehead or the third eye. This is tougher than external tratak as maintaining concentration on an invisible point while keeping your eyes closed for a long time is difficult. Ideally, do an external tratak with a candle flame before internal tratak, as visualizing a candle flame with eyes closed is easier. The rest of the procedure is the same as above.
Tratak has some well known benefits. As discussed earlier, the most common benefits include:
- Significantly improving concentration
- Not only does it improve concentration, but it also helps in removing depression, anxiety, insomnia, postural problems and bad memory.
- Enhancing your third eye (the point between your eye brows), which in turn enhances your psychic powers such as telepathy, clairvoyance, psychic healing and telekinesis.
- If you have mastered tratak over a long period of time, you will be able to manifest several desires. This has a certain science behind it (which is beyond the scope of this article). This is from personal experience.
While tratak is simple, it is very powerful. Powerful to such a point that if sufficient care is not taken in practicing it, it may create havoc. As such, certain precautions must be taken.
- Start slow and slowly build up over time. Never ever overly exert during your initial phase. It can strain your eyes. Also, don't be in a hurry. Rome wasn't built in a day. Similarly, tratak is not an instant medicine. You need to practice it and improve your concentration over time.
- A long period of tratak may make you feel drowsy or induce a feeling of being hypnotised. Just be aware of this feeling.
- It is also suggested to keep an empty stomach before practicing tratak. This not only improves the effectiveness, but also stops you from dozing off during the practice.
- As you build your focus over time, it is suggested to control your thoughts and desires as well. Mind is a powerful tool, and tratak has the potential to significatly improve your brain power, and manifest your thoughts. You do not want harmful thoughts and desires to manifest, which may hurt you or others.
- People suffering from eye related ailments are advised against practicing tratak. Please consult with your physician before starting the practice.
So, want to improve your concentration? Practice tratak!!
Karthik Kashyap (author) from India on September 23, 2014:
sunilkunnoth2012 and LindaSarhan: Thanks a bunch for your kind comments :)
L Sarhan from Huntsville, Alabama, USA on September 23, 2014:
What an awesome Hub! Thanks for sharing this wisdom. Not only am I going to give this a go, but I know so many others who would be interested in this and who would benefit from it. I am sharing this along.
Voted up and following you now. You have so many interesting Hubs.
Sunil Kumar Kunnoth from Calicut (Kozhikode, South India) on September 23, 2014:
Really a good and helpful one. I hope people will take note of the tips noted here and benefit themselves. Thank you for sharing your great knowledge. Shared.
Karthik Kashyap (author) from India on September 11, 2014:
thanks a lot for sharing WiccanSage :)
Mackenzie Sage Wright on September 11, 2014:
Awesome, I've been sort of doing this for a long time-- never heard of that name, though. I like to gaze at fires, candle flames, leaves/flowers and other things in nature, the sun, the moon. My husband says I look like I'm lost in a daydream but it's more of a meditative, mindful state. I had no idea it was 'a thing', lol. Thanks for sharing.
Karthik Kashyap (author) from India on September 07, 2014:
Inspired to write: Thanks a lot :)
Dale J Ovenstone from South Wales UK on September 05, 2014:
Great hub Karthik. Any form of just 'being in the here and now' is invaluable to all humnaity
Voted up. Thank you for sharing