Rebecca loves sharing what she knows about alternative medicine, health, frugal living, fun, animals, and how to live a better life!
How a hiccup works
What is a hiccup?
A hiccup, also known as (synchronous diaphragmatic flutter) it is a sudden, involuntary contraction of the diaphragm which occurs at the same time as a contraction of the voice box (larynx) and total closure of the glottis, effectively blocking air intake. The glottis is the middle part of the larynx, where the vocal cords are located. -Medical News Today
No one really knows why we get hiccups, or what their purpose really is. They are usually just an annoyance and embarrassment. But they sound funny and can be quite amusing for those not having them.
What causes a hiccup?
Oh, lots of things can cause hiccups! Here are the main causes. You can avoid extra tips and tricks to get rid of hiccups if you avoid some triggers, to begin with.
- Eating too much food too fast. We have teeth for a reason. Masticate your food. CHEW!
- Drinking too much (especially alcohol and carbonated beverages). Carbonation is the culprit.
- Overeating. Drink a full glass of water before or after a meal to reduce excessive food intake. Again, too much to fast. Slow it down.
- Abdominal surgery.
- Disease or disorder that irritates the diaphragm.
- Hot and spicy foods or liquids.
No more hiccups!
Hiccup tips and cures
- Hold your breath
- Sit up straight and take 10-20 very deep breaths, exhaling slowly
- Gulp a big glass of water
- Pop a few tums
- If you are ticklish, have someone tickle them out
- Swallow a spoonful of sugar, or try this with salt too
- Count out loud, the louder the better, until they are gone
- Pull out your tongue a few times with your fingers
- Place a paper towel over a glass of water and drink from it
- Drink water through a straw while pinching your nose shut
- Ask someone to scare you out of your britches
- Have a spoonful of peanut butter
- Breath slowly in and out of a brown paper bag
- Although you'd think this is counter-intuitive, have a sip of hot sauce
- Drink water from a glass backward and upside down-this is the best way!
- With one hand plug your nose and blow as hard as you can making your ears pop, I don’t know why this works, but it does
More to read
- Why does it hurt to pee? How to cure a UTI without ...
A urinary tract infection is the 2nd most common infection in the human body, and now you can cure it without antibiotics!
- How to Remove Skin Tags and Warts on Your Body Natur...
Naturally treat and remove skin tags and warts anywhere on your body. You will be surprised how easily you can do this without harmful, expensive pharmaceuticals. Just be patient—this works!
- Why Is My Eye Twitching? Eyelid Myokymia and Blephar...
Eye twitching will usually be experienced by everyone at some point in their lives. For the most part, it's normal, but sometimes can be caused from other disorders. Here are the causes...
© 2013 Rebecca
Dianna Mendez on July 27, 2013:
I like the spoonful of peanut butter best. I get hiccups occasionally and find slow breathing works fine for me. Thanks for the tips.
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on July 27, 2013:
Great advice on how to get rid of hiccups and in such simple ways
Alise- Evon on July 25, 2013:
I did not know there were so many different ways to try to get rid of hiccups. My dad taught me the best way that worked for me, which you mentioned, which was taking a spoonful of sugar. This always works for me, but I have to let the sugar dissolve in my mouth before swallowing it.