A fellow human who loves his planet and beyond, with interests that match and never end. One life. One love. Appreciate everything.
Getting Started With An Exercise Routine
If you are looking for the best chest exercises to build a toned and muscular chest, this article will help. These exercises will help you quickly tone and build a hard muscular chest in the speediest amount of time.
Picking your exercises is no different than choosing the proper foods to eat. If you pick the wrong foods you will not see much if any progress at all. If you pick the correct foods you will see improvements very fast.
The same goes with selecting exercises. Your chest is usually the first muscle group people will notice on you because of the location of your pecs sitting high up and in front of your torso. A muscular chest will attract attention every time. Let’s get to the exercises.
There are 2 main parts to your chest the Pectoralis major and Pectoralis minor. Which are your upper and lower chest muscles. You don’t need to do a wide variety of exercises to tone the chest.
The exercises I am going to share with you can be used solely for many years with great success just by changing up the repetition and weights you use. These exercises can also be done with either a barbell or a dumbbell or even cables if you work out at a gym.
If you have any type of shoulder discomfort when performing these exercises using a barbell, try to do them with dumbbells. Dumbbells give your shoulder more freedom to move in a more natural motion where a barbell will restrict your natural movement.
How to Bench Press Correctly
How to perform the Dumbbell Incline Press Correctly
Barbell and Dumbbell Chest Exercises
You can use the following exercises in any order you want. I do recommend using just a couple of the movements each workout so you don’t over-train. Also this is so you can get a feel for what is working for you and what exercise is not working. Follow the instructions in the instructional videos and you are on your way.
1) The old standard flat bench press has been around forever and there is a reason for that. For the most part it is because it works. I say for the most part because some people have shoulder pains from this exercise when using a barbell. If that is you then I suggest trying this exercise with a pair of dumbbells. So yes, you can use a barbell or dumbbells for this exercise. Make sure to practice perfect form when performing any exercise to get the maximum benefit and to prevent injury. The flat bench will help to develop mass in your chest and anterior deltoid muscles.
2) The incline barbell and dumbbell press is next. I prefer to adjust my bench at about a 30 degree incline so not to include too much shoulder usage and keep the focus on the upper chest. If you set your bench to too much of an incline you will be performing more of a shoulder workout. Again make sure to use proper form. This exercise will really help to add some meat to your upper ribs.
How to Perform the Dumbbell Flyes
How to Perform the Dip for Chest
How to Perform the Push Up
Fly and Dips for Chest Exercises
3) The next exercise is dumbbell fly's performed on a flat bench or an incline bench which would again be kept at about a 30 degree incline. As with the exercises above make sure to take your time when performing them using proper form at all times. When performing fly's try imagining you are hugging a whiskey barrel with dumbbells in your hands. That movement is exactly how you want to perform this exercise. A big circular hug.
4) Another great toning and muscle building exercise for your chest is the body weight dip. When performing the dip for your chest, make sure to lean forward to take the stress off of your triceps and shoulders as much as possible. This exercise will cause some people shoulder pain, if you find it uncomfortable then immediately stop the exercise, the other exercises already mentioned are more than enough.
5) Last but not least is another old standard, the push up. The push up not only helps to tone and build a muscular chest but are also great for helping keep your core strong as the push up mimics the core exercise called the plank. The push up also works smaller stabilizing muscles in the back area. Changing the position of your hands each time you perform push ups will increase muscle tone and strength.
Perform 2 chest workouts over a 7 to 8 day period and you will find your pecs busting out of your shirt in 4 to 6 weeks.
I hope you agree that these are the best chest exercises for men.
Some Related Articles on Hubpages You Might Be Interested In
- Inverted Rows to Build Your Back Muscles
How to build a strong muscular upper back by doing inverted rows. This bodyweight only exercise is a great way to build and tone your upper back muscles.
- How to build BIGGER arms fast
Building bigger arms is not all that hard. All it takes is consistency and a little bit of effort when it comes to lifting weights. The muscles in the arms are not that big compared to other muscles in the body like your back and legs so the effort t
- How to build big thick shoulder muscles
The best way to build big shoulder muscles. If you want to build big thick cannon ball size shoulders so wide that you have to turn sideways when you walk through doorways then keep reading. Big thick deltoids that are balanced proportionately are im
- How to build big Trapezius Muscles
How to build big thick Trap muscles. If you want to look big strong and intimidating you have to get your traps growing now. Nothing says POWER more so than well developed big strong Traps.
© 2012 Grant Handford
J Zod from Nairobi on September 26, 2019:
Thanks for your excellent article. I have been doing push ups consistently for around three months and the results are astounding.
I have developed a bigger chest and bigger biceps. Your insights are amazing.
Grant Handford (author) from Canada on January 27, 2012:
kashmir thanks very much, glad you enjoyed it.
Thomas Silvia from Massachusetts on January 27, 2012:
Great well explained information on the best exercises to tone and build up the chest muscles.Great videos !
Awesome and vote up !!!
Grant Handford (author) from Canada on January 26, 2012:
Hi Brett I agree. Working out at home is a great place to exercise.
Thanks for sharing!
Brett C from Asia on January 25, 2012:
voted up and useful, as many of these exercises could easily be performed at home. Having good shoulders and chest muscles makes a huge difference to the way a guy looks.
Grant Handford (author) from Canada on January 23, 2012:
revortay1 I really appreciate the comment and thanks for reading.
revortay1 from PA on January 22, 2012:
Great hub! Very good info and some great videos. Also I like the layout of the hub it flows well to me for some reason :]