Meditation has many benefits. The list of scientific and spiritual benefits of meditation never ends. But the real problem that it solves makes it universal.
What is the most valuable asset of the human body?
The answer is mind.
You feel happy, sad, miserable, lifeless, energetic, etc. All because of the quality of your mind. It determines your quality of living. Meditation helps to know and master your mind, and this affects every aspect of your life.
In this article, we will discuss the four main superpowers that you can acquire by doing meditation regularly.
Superpower #1: The Power to Focus or Zooming In
Meditation helps to improve your ability to focus. It means your ability to concentrate on any activity by ignoring distractions increases. The duration for which you can retain your attention will increase with practice.
The ability to focus is required in all spheres of life, such as education, career, relationship, etc. In today’s scenario, there are too many distractions. Your attention span is decreasing day by day. Your mind is not able to focus and wandering.
But why should you focus?
Here are a few reasons why focusing is important:
- You live in the present moment, and your mind does not wander.
- Your listening and communication skills increase as you are mentally and physically in the present.
- Your efficiency to work increases as you do not multitask.
- You start noticing and enjoying your blessings, such as spending time with family, pursuing a hobby, etc.
- When there is a conflict in your head between fear and confidence, you can focus on the one that empowers you.
Superpower #2: The Ability to View the Bigger Picture or Zooming Out
It gives you the ability to not getting involved in mental and emotional matters. It clarifies your vision to let go of the past and move on.
Sometimes emotions become sticky. Even if we do not want to focus on them, we cannot avoid them.
Here are a few types of emotions that may affect your ability to focus:
- A tragic past incidence or negative self-talk.
- Even if everything is fine in your life, you get confused and doubtful if someone says negative about you.
In this situation, the powers of the zoom out free your mind and help you to change your perspective towards life.
Superpower #3: The Power to Pause Negative Thoughts
It helps you to be present at the moment, feel fresh, and live a fulfilling life.
Here are a few ways in which the ability to pause helps you:
- It prevents you from acting when you are angry. If you react immediately, you can ruin your relationships, and you regret your decision afterward.
- It gives you a clear picture of the situation, and you make intelligent decisions according to the need of the present moment.
- You think and worry less and re-analyze your principal values and take appropriate actions.
Do not react without thinking. It is easy to react and difficult to pause. But, you can learn it with practice.
Superpower #4: Controlling Your Mind
The mind does not obey you all the time. Even if you try to focus on positive things, negative thoughts can pop up anytime. You cannot control them.
But, the collective powers of zoom in, zoom out, and pausing help you to operate the remote control of your mind. You can focus on positive things, and negative things do not get much attention.
Here is the secret trick to change the channel:
- Notice the feeling of fear, hatred, anxiety, stress, etc., and label them just like every TV channel has a name. It will help you to turn it off as soon as it gets turned on.
- Take a deep breath and pause that channel. You are not required to watch it.
- Look at the bigger picture. It’s also fine even if you are not able to erase the thought. Focus on the goals of your life you want to achieve.
- Try to switch from a negative thought to a positive and focus on it.
It is known as changing the channels.
Meditation is powerful as it helps you to master your mind and attention. It makes you aware of the root cause of your emotions.
But, you cannot learn it in a few days. It requires consistent practice.
Do you apply these meditation skills? What superpowers do you want to achieve from meditation?
Share your views in the comments below.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Preeti Shah