peachpurple loves to try out different salad recipes at home. Simple and easy salads for everyone
Nutritional Value of Radish
Radish is one of the treatment for phlegm and cures sore throat. There are different species of radish. The white ones are the most common. No matter what color it is, radish is generally very nutritious and rich in vitamins A,B,C,D and E.
Red and white ones are especially nutritious. Radish are cold in nature and helps to clear heat in the body effectively.
Radish generally enhances metabolism with its vast reserve of nutrients.
When you are in a hurry...
Treatment Using Radish
- EXPELS PHLEGM
There are different medications for expelling phlegm using chinese herbs such as Chuan Bei, Japanese Senega and Ban Xia.
Each has its own excellent quality.
However, boiling Radish Soup is the simplest method to expel phlegm especially toddlers and older people who have difficulty to spit or cough out the thick mucus. Radish helps to loosed the phlegm, reduces the throat irritation and soreness. It is a natural vegetable to cure sore throat and phlegm.
- 1 cup of radish juice per day effectively heal common cold or other disease associated with throat infection.
- Caution !! Some people couldn't stand the bitter taste, therefore vomit immediately after drinking it.
- Adults should try to drink radish juice to clear the lungs and cures indigestion after a hearty meal especially oily food.
- Boiling radish soups is another alternative way which is easy and simple too.
- There is a method to sweeten radish juice by mixing water chestnut juice and 1 tablespoon of honey with warm water.
- If children refuse to drink radish soup, try boiling radish seeds in water with honey.
How to Peel Radish
How to Choose White Radish
- Choose a white radish ( daikon) that is firm to hold, no bruises or brown spots and smooth surface.
- The length of a white radish ( daikon) ranges from 5 to 15 inches long. Choose the small size for salad recipes. Large radish is suitable for soups, stews and stir fries.
- Avoid choosing radish ( daikon) that has more greens on the top. This indicates the radish had too much sun, thus would induced bitterness.
- Heavy radish (daikon) in weight indicates there is a lot of juice content.
How to Peel White Radish
- Wash the white radish under running tap water. Remove any dirts by brush with your fingers or a vegetable brush.
- Cut off the top radish with leaves or green stalks. Make a clean cut, roughly half an inch from the top.
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel off the skin off. You can either hold the radish upright or leave it laying down on the chopper board.
- Start peeling from the top to the bottom continuously in long strokes.
- Rotate the radish as you peel off the skin all way round until the radish is bare. You will notice the inner flesh is pure white and semi soft to touch.
- If you do not own a vegetable peeler, you could also use a kitchen knife to cut off the radish skin.
- Cut them into cubes or strips, depending on the recipe you are planning to cook.
Braised Croaker Fish with White Radish
- 450g radish
- 1 croaker fish or white fish cod
- 2 stalks Chinese celery stem (sectioned)
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 tbsp Soybean paste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Mash soy bean paste. Set aside.
- Rinse and wipe dry fish.
- Peel radish.
- Rinse and shred.
- Poach in water for 5 min.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat 3tbsp oil in a wok.
- Pan fry fish until both sides slightly browned.
- Add ginger, radish, bean paste and seasoning in.
- Pour in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Cover the lid and cook for 5min.
- Add Chinese celery and bring to boil.
- Serve hot.
White Radish with Mushroom Soup- Detox Purpose
- 1 medium radish
- 6 pieces of Chinese black mushroom, soaked
- 1 small carrot
- 3 pieces Chinese Kurma
- 12 pieces red dates
- Peel radish. Rinse and cut radish into quarters.
- Peel carrot. Rinse and cut into cubes.
- Boil 12 cups of water in a sou pot or a slow cooker.
- Put in radish, carrot, red dates, mushroom and Chinese kurma into the pot.
- Boil for 30min.
- Turn to low heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Turn off heat when all radish and carrot have soften.
More Soup Recipes:
- Soup Recipes: Bok Choy (Pak Choy)Soup with Tofu
Pak Choy Soup with Tofu is a clear , soothing soup for summer or warm weather. Both are full of protein and easy to cook, ready in 15 minutes. Great soup for sick patients and elderly folks.
- Homemade Prawn Noodles Soup
Prawns Noodle soup in often found in hawker stalls or food court. The most famous in Asia are Singapore Prawn Noodle Soup and Penang Prawn Noodle Soup. I prefer my own homemade prawn noodle soup with no MSG and less salt.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2010 peachy
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on March 03, 2016:
I had no idea that radish could help cure phlegm but will certainly look into that and keep it in mind. I do like the taste of radish and have used various types of it in cooking and also eating raw. Will share this!
peachy (author) from Home Sweet Home on February 06, 2015:
today, i just boiled radish soup with chicken ribs, yummy, cured my phlegm
Mary Norton from Ontario, Canada on February 06, 2015:
Peachpurple, I never knew that radish can remedy phlegm. I sometimes put radish in soups. I also like it in salads.
peachy (author) from Home Sweet Home on December 28, 2014:
thanks, i found this vege very useful and helps a lot
nick071438 from City of Catbalogan, W, Samar, Philippines on December 27, 2014:
I find this hub interesting and plan to do a little research re this wonderful plant; meanwhile allow me to have this piece bookmarked. More power.
peachy (author) from Home Sweet Home on October 05, 2013:
Ferdinand Receno from San Pablo City on October 05, 2013:
I like radish soup with fresh shoots of sweet potato or river spinach. Radish has a good antibacterial properties contained in its roots than can really remedy phlegm and other digestive problem. Great share!
peachy (author) from Home Sweet Home on August 30, 2012:
Glad that my hub add another medicine to your cabinet. Radish doesn't smell bad if you cook them well.
Ingenira on August 29, 2012:
Good to know that radish can be the natural cure for phlegm. Now, I reduce one more medicine in my cabinet !