Is Your Left or Right Eye Twitching?
Millions of people around the world know what it feels like to have an eye twitch. It comes out of the blue and, in most instances, it disappears just as randomly.
For those who are superstitious, a mere twitch in your eye can bring with it a whole slew of thoughts or paranoia. Whether it be your left eye or right eye, just what does it mean when your eye twitches?
- Some say it can be brought on due to an increase in stress, eye strain, or a lack of sleep.
- A deficiency in magnesium can also contribute to an eye twitch.
- Or, an excessive caffeine or alcohol intake might be the case.
- Others believe there are superstitions surrounding an eye twitch.
More on that last point: These superstitions vary greatly and are vast. It also depends on where you are from. Let's uncover them, eye by eye.
In this article, learn about these superstitions. Also, we will delve a little deeper into the causes of eye twitching to explore the differences that may vary depending on your gender. Also, whether the twitch is coming from the upper or lower eye lid will also yield different results. The differences continue to grow. Read on to learn more.
Eye Twitching for Females is Considered . . .
|Good Luck if:||Bad Luck if:|
You are from China or India experiencing a twitch in your left eye.
You are traveling or living in Nigeria.
Or you are a Vietnamese woman experiencing a left eye twitch.
Or you are a Vietnamese woman experiencing a right eye twitch.
Eye Twitching for Males is Considered . . .
|Good Luck if:||Bad Luck if:|
It's specifically your bottom left eyelid; and you believe in Chinese superstitions or are Chinese.
It's specifically your top left eyelid.
Or you are a Vietnamese man experiencing a right eye twitch.
It's any twitch to your right eye, which may signify a major windfall.
Or you are a Vietnamese man experiencing a left eye twitch.
Superstitions Based on Eye
|Left Eye Twitching||Right Eye Twitching|
Can mean death. (This can be mean closure, or the death of a job, a life phase, and so forth. It doesn't have to be literal).
Can mean birth. (This can literally mean the birth of someone, or a new life chapter, relationship, or job, and so forth).
Medical Causes and Remedies
If you're curious about what eye twitching may mean scientifically or medically, some of the reported causes may include:
- Dry eyes
- Eye strain
- Bright light exposure
Some remedies for eye twitching may include:
- Getting a good night's rest.
- Avoiding stressful situations and/or introducing stress management practices into your life, such as yoga or taking a relaxing walk.
- Reducing consumption of caffeine, this includes tea or coffee.
- Eye drops (after consulting a medical professional) to keep your eyes moist and provide lubrication.
- Taking a break from repetitive computer work or concentrated reading to give your eyes a chance to relax.
- Wearing sunglasses to protect your eyes from bright light exposure.
The Chinese have another theory, based on the Tong Shu, or Chinese Almanac. This olden day belief system not only acknowledges that eye twitches may signify something, but they have further developed theories on what an eye twitch may indicate based on eye and time:
Left Eye Twitching During Specific Times:
- 11pm – 1am: A noblemen may be on his way to see you.
- 1am – 3am: Be aware that a worrying event may be about to occur.
- 3am – 5am: Expect a possible visit from a friend from afar.
- 5am – 7am: A special guest is on his or her way.
- 7am – 9am: You may expect a visit from a close friend.
- 9am – 11am: Get ready to party!
- 11am – 1pm: Lots of eating and drinking looms ahead.
- 1pm – 3pm: You'll be safe and sound for whatever plans lie ahead of you.
- 3pm – 5pm: Watch out! You may lose money.
- 5pm – 7pm: Guests are on their way.
- 7pm -9pm: More guests are on their way.
- 9pm – 11pm: Another guest is on his or her way.
That doesn't sound all that bad, right? There seems to be a lot of of partying, eating, visitors, and friends. Just avoid a 1 a.m. twitch and a 3 p.m. twitch, and this left eye twitch theory could be a good one to hope for.
Now, how about the right eye twitch?
Right Eye Twitching During Specific Times:
- 11pm – 1am: An invitation is on its way for a party.
- 1am – 3am: Someone is thinking about you. (Is this the same phenomenon as when your ears are burning? Another topic altogether.)
- 3am – 5am: This is all good news. A happy event awaits you.
- 5am – 7am: Everything is going well.
- 7am – 9am: Watch out! There could be a slight injury.
- 9am – 11am: Watch out! You may be in for an argument.
- 11am – 1pm: Oh no, beware of a disaster.
- 1pm – 3pm: A minor happy event is occurring or will occur soon. However, it's just a minor one.
- 3pm – 5pm: Are you thinking of someone you love?
- 5pm – 7pm: Guests are on their way. (Just like with the left eye)
- 7pm -9pm: You are on your way to a big gathering.
- 9pm – 11pm: Beware of trouble in court.
That started off nicely, with lots of partying and good news. However, by mid morning, any twitch deems disaster. Luckily, all bad things come to an end at some point.
No matter where your sudden twitch occurs, it feels colossal and you feel like the whole world can see it. Usually, they will resolve themselves without any medical intervention. Nor will a resolution to the superstition be needed.
Not all superstitions are based on a general good or bad, however. It is not clear where these particular theories come from. Next time your eye twitches in its usual crazy fashion, keep your fingers and toes crossed because something good just might be on its way. Be optimistic . . . or just take a nap.
(Note: Advice here is purely based on research of superstitions; please seek professional medical advice for eye concerns.)
Have you heard your own theories on eye twitching meanings and superstitions? Please feel free to share those (and any questions or comments you may have) below!
© 2012 WorkAtHomeMums
Charita on March 04, 2019:
I was always told the left eye twitches meant something bad of anything necessary and right eye meant good things but now that I’m older I’m starting to feel other wise. Such as it could be stress or a medical problem
Mami on June 17, 2018:
This information really help me a lot lol
Bube on March 08, 2017:
I had my birthday yesterday and my eye left eye was twitching seriously.
My sister and her husband both gave me an unexpected large amount of money.
....am a Nigerian by the way
person on September 15, 2016:
Haley on May 20, 2016:
nillam on April 09, 2016:
hmm my left eye is twitching
Neeraj Rajput on April 07, 2016:
Left eye flap
vimal singh on October 29, 2015:
Left twiching is good for females.
And right for males.
As i got it from my society
mckeown on July 06, 2015:
It seems the right eye twitching btn 3 & 5 pm is right...
Monet on February 14, 2015:
Every single time after my eye twitched, something bad to me usually followed like speeding ticket, an argument with others, etc.
tamron on June 17, 2012:
When my eye twitched I felt retarded. I would hate for my eye to twitch on a job interview.
Thanks for Sharing
Tricia Mason from The English Midlands on June 15, 2012:
My optician said that it was caused by being extremely tired.
Michelle Liew from Singapore on June 15, 2012:
Joshua Zerbini from Pennsylvania on June 14, 2012:
Great hub. very interesting! Voted up, interesting and shared!
lovedoctor926 on June 14, 2012:
I'm not superstitious. My eye twitches once in a while especially when I'm at the computer for too many hours. voted up! Thanks for this information
WorkAtHomeMums (author) from Australia on June 14, 2012:
Personally it just annoys me when it happens to me. I'm now hoping for a good outcome :)
hisandhers from Toronto, Ontario, Canada on June 14, 2012:
Wow! How can anyone memorize all those different meanings for eye twitches! Whenever my eye twitches I barely think about it, but now that I've read this Hub I'm inclined to become superstitious about it as well too.
Really interesting! Voted up!
GH Price from North Florida on June 14, 2012:
Great. Now I'm all twitchy!
Seriously, very interesting Hub. Thank you for sharing!