Rajan is a botany and chemistry major. He has worked as a poultry breeder for 23 years, breeding layer and broiler parents.
How To Keep Eyes Healthy
The importance of keeping eyes healthy is only realised when our eyes suffer. Rather, when we suffer due to one or the other problem with our eyes. Various actions of ours cause detrimental effects to our eyes or eyesight. Wouldn't it be great if we knew how to keep our eyes healthy for as long as possible? Here are some pointers that will ensure that your eyes remain in good health for a long time.
Find out how to keep eyes healthy, as suggested by Yoga and Ayurveda.
How To Wash Eyes Properly - Nithyanandam Shree
- Constipation, as we know, is the root cause of most disorders in our body. This holds no less true in eye health. Since constipation causes retention of waste products for a longer period in our intestines, the released toxins find their way to the tissues and cause a variety of health problems.
Hence do not allow yourself to get constipated.
- Ayurveda recommends that during bath time we should make it a practice to bathe our eyes in pure water. To do this fill a bucket with water, dip the face in the water and open and close the eyes a few times.
- At night, before going to sleep, wash the hands, feet and eyes. Swish some water around in your mouth to clean it too (even if you have brushed your teeth). Then massage the soles of your feet with mustard oil. This keeps the eyes healthy and prevents many eye afflictions.
- Apply mustard oil to the head and massage it well. Also walking barefoot on lawn grass, early in the morning especially, when it is covered with dew helps in keeping the eyesight strong.
- When eyes are tired or tensed, close the eyes for a few minutes and relax.
How to Stop Watery Eyes
- Consume nutritious food and reduce consumption of junk food as much as possible to maintain eyesight.
- Never watch a solar eclipse with naked eyes.
- Green is a soothing colour and helps in increasing eyesight. During hours of computer usage, it benefits to look at greenery or green colour every once in a while.
- Fill your mouth with water before washing your face with cold water. If possible do this three times a day. Sprinkling cold water on eyes is also beneficial to the eyes.
- If eyes are red, have pain or are swollen, keep a cold water compress on the eyes. Keep replacing as soon as it gets a bit warm. In winter, this should be done with hot water.
Cure For All Eye Problems - Baba Ramdev
- After meals, wash hands and rub the wet hands together for a while and keep on the eyes. This prevents simple infections of the eyes.
- Cup your palms over both eyes to prevent light from reaching them. Open the eyes for a minute to absorb the darkness. Do this a number of times. It removes eye fatigue, pain and redness.
- Redness of eyes can occur due to excessive smoking and drinks. Dark circles are the result of stress and anaemia. Put thin cucumber slices on both the eyes after lying down to get relief.
- In many cases, the practice of looking straight cures mild cases of squint. To do this, get glasses without any number. Keep the central portion of the glass transparent while darkening the surrounding area with black paint or black paper.
Wear this regularly while working. It helps in correcting mild cases of squint.
- One more simple remedy for mild squint is ;
Keep the tip of the index finger on the tip of the nose. Practice focusing both the eyes on the tip of the finger. After a while, move the finger towards the right temple, then between the eyebrows and the to the left temple. Follow the movement of the finger with your eyes.
These simple tips if followed regularly and faithfully, will ensure eye health for a long time.
The above videos by Yoga Guru Baba Ramdev show you how to keep eyes healthy, through Ayurveda and Yoga.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements or embarking on a new health regime.
An Excellent Resource For Eye health
- All About Vision - Complete Consumer Guide About Vision and Eye Care
A complete consumer guide to vision and eye care. Learn about eye safety, eye nutrition, LASIK, contact lenses, eye problems and treatments, and much more.
Some of my Articles on Health
- The Effects Of Fatty Foods And Fats - Saturated, Unsaturated, Polyunsaturated And Trans Fats - On Th
Fats - the very name is confusing and scary. Which should one eat? Which is healthy? Which should one avoid? Why Eat This? Why Avoid That? Want to have answers to these questions and more? Then read on...
- MSG - MonoSodium Glutamate - The Common Food Additive, Its Allergy Effects And Its Long Term Adverse
MSG or mono sodium glutamate, the cause of a variety of disease conditions is added to a mind boggling number of foods. Read the far reaching health implications of this food additive that is added to enhance the perception of flavor of food..
- Glycemic Index And Glycemic Load - How Does Food Affect Blood Sugar (Glucose) Levels And The After
Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load are 2 very important and confusing terms to the layman. But, to stay healthy, it is very important to understand their implications and applications in our daily diet. To get a clearer understanding of these much tout
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2012 Rajan Singh Jolly
Sanjay on April 29, 2015:
Are you sure that mustard oil therapy for eye vision works well in all seasons. please Don't take otherwise. I am only questioning for a special purpose. Plz reply very soon. I'll wait for reply
Reema Saini from India on March 03, 2015:
Bilberry Improves night vision and stops degenerative eye disorders. Variety of vascular and blood disorders is handled with bilberry, too. It shows positive actions in treating varicose veins, chronic venous insufficiency, thrombosis, and angina. Visit to know more about bilberry that is helpful in vision care: http://pharberry.se/bilberry.html
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on February 20, 2013:
Harsh, I'm not aware of any medicine that can reduce eye number. I'd just like to say that you must include foods that have a lot of nutrients like vitamin A and antioxidants, in your diet. Eat a lot of colorful vegetables like carrots and do pranayam everyday.
Thanks for reading.
harsh on February 20, 2013:
excellent tips can you please give some name of ayurvedic medicine or powder which is help full to reduses my eye number.
Kimberly on November 16, 2012:
Very nice blog on this website! It is really difficult to find such a fantastic content with some useful information. I am relieved I came upon this site. Finally I found something useful for me. I have been looking for information on this particular topic for longer time.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on April 12, 2012:
Molometer, I have written this hub from the Yoga & Ayurveda point of view, hence some tips would appear unusual.
I appreciate your reading and voting. Thanks.
Micheal from United Kingdom on April 12, 2012:
Very interesting remedies for a eye problems.
My wife has a serious eye condition so I am always reading what I can to understand more.
Voted up and interesting.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on April 06, 2012:
audra, I would be delighted and interested to get feedback about your experiences with these tips.
Thanks for reading and leaving your appreciation.
iamaudraleigh on April 06, 2012:
You have written a very interesting hub on eye care. It would be interesting to try some of these things out :) Voted up!
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on April 03, 2012:
WebsiteConfetti, thanks for the read, bookmark and votes. Much appreciated.
Ness from Australia on April 03, 2012:
Great tips. I have bookmarked this hub for later reference. Voted up and useful!
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on April 01, 2012:
One can watch solar eclipses with special filters surely and it is a huge craze when they do occur. Alocsin, thanks for visit, support and appreciation.
Aurelio Locsin from Orange County, CA on April 01, 2012:
Excellent tips though fortunately solar eclipses are rare enough that watching them with the naked eyes is a minor possibility. Only ever saw one in my life, and yes, I used special filters to observe it. Voting this Up and Interesting.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on March 31, 2012:
vinner, I have just included an excellent resource for eye health. If you are suffering from blepharitis, the link below is quite useful:
You can browse around this wonderful site for all round info on eyes and vision.
Hope it helps.
vinner from India on March 31, 2012:
Really useful information to keep eyes healthy. Actually recently I was searching for same tips. I got dandruff affected in my eye lids
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on March 31, 2012:
cclitgirl, I hope you do try these ayurvedic pointers. These are traditional therapies tried and tested over time. Just need to be regular with it.
Thanks for reading and bookmarking.
Wish you the best.
Cynthia Calhoun from Western NC on March 31, 2012:
Wow, Rajan! I'd never heard of some of these remedies. Mustard oil on the soles of the feet? That sounds interesting. :) I'll try it. I only see out of one eye, so as soon as I saw this, I knew I had to read. Bookmarking for future reference.