"chest pimple." by narcoticsunite! is licensed under CC BY 2.0
Causes and Treatment of Pimples
Pimples are plugs that occur on the skin due to a disease called Acne. They develop from the accumulation of oil, hair and dead skin cells that clog the hair follicle resulting into protrusion of bumps from under the skin. They can range from small, medium to large sizes. Pimples also vary in colors depending on the type and stage of development. To many, Pimples are a nuisance, they kill not only the physical attraction but also the confidence or self-esteem of a person. Frequent breakout can leave scars and blemishes on the skin. It is not the end of the world. You may have noticed that pimples occur at a specific time of the month or after applying a particular cream. If this is the case then find out why and how to avoid it. In order to effectively reduce and possibly get rid of them, practice the guidelines that are outlined in this article.
Causes of Pimples
- Hormonal Changes. The level of hormones in blood can be a cause of pimples. This happens occasionally but more often in women than men. At puberty, human body produces hormones called androgens. In males, testosterone levels increases in blood and in females oestrogen is produced. These two hormones activates oil glands in the skin for instance Sebaceous gland to secrete more oil or sebum. The skin pores become clogged thereby causing Pimples. Boys and Girls in their adolescent stage, between 12-16 years experience this problem, though it does not occur in all individuals at this age bracket, it may come at a later age. Females experience this changes each month due to menstrual cycle. It is not obvious that any alteration in the level of hormones leads to outbreak of pimples.
- Bacterial infection. Propionibacterium acne bacteria infects the hair follicle that is blocked by sebum. It causes formation of pus. Bacterial infection can also be a risk factor where pimples are not yet visible but likely to appear. Frequent touching of your face is discouraged because it transfers bacteria from your hands onto the face. It is good to wash your hands properly before touching the face and avoid unnecessary scrubbing of pimples that might have appeared.
- Medication. It is common to see people that have developed Pimples as a side effect of drugs. Some medicine may contain androgen hormone, such drugs triggers pimples breakout. Talk to your medical care professional to find out alternative medicine. If pimples start shortly after using certain drugs, stop the medication and seek advice from the medical care provider.
- Improper shaving techniques. Shaving by use of blunt razor and without shaving cream can probably cause the problem. Sensitive skin demands use of electric and sharp razor blades. Applying cream on the area being shaved soothes the skin and prevents hurting of the skin cells. Sensitive skin require utmost care anything that can cause irritation probably leads to a reaction. This reaction may be in form of pimples.
- Climatic conditions. High to extreme hot temperatures leads to excess sweating. Salts in sweat accelerates the rate at which skin cells die. The dead cells then piles up and blocks the hair follicles.I live in the tropical conditions, when it gets too hot, I feel uncomfortable ecause of the itchy skin especially my face. Dermatologist discourage frequent touching of your face but in this case, it real feels awful to ignore it, so I take a bath. Sweat remove wastes from the skin, it also predispose and makes the skin more vulnerable to breakouts. Environmental conditions need to be regulated for a healthy skin.
- Allergic reactions. Before using skin lotions and gels, consult a dermatologist to ascertain the type that is compatible with your skin. Strong lotions or creams can also be allergens. Allergy is the response of the body to foreign substances. Normally, the response is meant to protect the body from infection, however, if it overreacts by producing excess antibodies, effects like inflammation occurs. You should identify which substances when in contact with your skin leads to formation of pimples and avoid them.
- Stress and anxiety. Persistent stress and restlessness stimulates the body to produce Adrenaline hormone which activates oil glands in the skin. Happiness is secret to a healthy skin. Depression and anxiety creates wrinkles in the face and changes hormonal levels.
Treatment of Pimples
Have Pimples? Don't worry, follow these guidelines and soon you will have that smooth and brilliant skin you have always dreamed about.
- Be gentle on your skin. Avoid scrubbing your skin especially your face. It's sometimes a habit that comes naturally. Touching your face and washing it with rough material causes dead of delicate skin cells. Use a soft sponge and wash gently.
- Apply shaving cream and use a sharp razor while saving. Also remember that this activity can cause skin infections. Therefore disinfect the razors and wash your hands with soap before you start shaving.
- Use mild soap. Strong soaps and detergents can be harmful to sensitive skin. It is advisable to use soap containing natural and skin friendly treatments such as honey and lemon. Honey soothes the skin while lemon dries out Pimples.
- Do not use hot water for bathing or showering. Warm water is recommended. It helps to exfoliate oil from clogged skin pores. Hot water when in contact with the skin for long time makes the skin dry. Eventually, the ability of the skin to lock in moisture is reduced. After taking a bath or a shower, tap your face with a soft towel. Wiping should be done softly and with a tender piece of cloth.
- Keep the local conditions cool. Very dry conditions causes a dry skin due to loss of water. As a result, the production of oil is activated which will finally block the follicles. If you live in cold areas you are not at risk of having a dry skin caused by surrounding temperatures. The type of skin also matters when it comes to environmental conditions. If you have a naturally dry skin then moisturizers are the best solutions. If there are travel plans, then access the conditions of the place in order to make the right choice regarding what to do to prevent breakout of Pimples.
- Use of antibiotics. Drugs containing retinoid. Retinoid are compounds or chemicals that are derived from vitamin A. They work by reducing wrinkles through increased blood supply to the skin and production of Collagen. If you are allergic to retinoid, stop using them and seek advice from medical professionals. Improved supply of blood to the skin boosts excretion wastes and brings fourth vital nutrients for healthy skin.
- Alter your diet. Since pimples are caused by accumulated oil and sebum, eating of junk foods can be a risk factor. These are foods containing alot of fats and sugar. You can also limit use of beverages and instead drink more water. Water makes the skin hydrated and limits the Vulnerability to clogging due to dead skin cell. Dehydration of cells is a reason why the skin peels off. Excess fats are stored under the skin. This could result into swellings around the hair follicle.
Acne affects three in every four people aged between 11 to 30 years. Some factors behind occurrence of Pimples are only manageable for example hormonal changes. However, other causes can be effectively dealt with by the above remedies. In severe cases, visit and consult a qualified Dermatologist for more details. Pimples are symptoms of acne. When oil glands in the skin produce alot of oil due to hormonal changes or any of the factors highlighted above, it causes a skin disease called acne. Pimples occurs when the hair follicles are clogged by excessive oils from the glands. Therefore preventing Acne is an indirect way of controlling and reducing pimples.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 CONSTANT JUMA WANJALA