Nikolas studies dangers of the Sea of Azov. The problem of rips is interesting for him.
The Rip Current in the Sea of Azov
Rip Current or Ring-off Flow
Many people that well float or not bad repose on water do not understand how it is possible to drown at shore. Hearing the reports of news in the season of vacations about the tourists "lost near a bank", they think that victims were not either able to float or were in a state of alcoholic intoxication. In contrast, reason quite in other.
The question is about very dangerous phenomenon - ring-off flows that is often named “rip current”, also. They are in all corners of planet - both in the Mexican Bay and at the Black seaside, and on an island Bali. Not only ordinary people but also first-class swimmers can not manage with them. This is because they don't simply know how to behave themselves with it.
Principle of Action
All takes place unexpectedly: here you swam from a bank, then turned back, but nothing turns out. You swim with might and main, but remain in the same place or even retire yet farther. All attempts are unsuccessful, forces end and you are near to panic.
First, it is important to understand the principle of action of the rip. There is a type of marine and ocean flows directed at right angles to the bank and appearing in the process of departing of stream of flowing water toward a sea.
Most dangerous ring-off flows are considered in shallow seas with a declivous bank. It is framed by sandbanks, spits, and small islands ( for example, the Sea of Azov). In these places during an ebb in a sea sandy braids prevent the return of mass of water. The pressure of water on a narrow channel, connecting a sea with an estuary, increases repeatedly. A rapid stream on that water moves at a speed of 2.5-3.0 m/s appears in the total.
Attention: Rip Currents
To define the Flow
How to define this flow, not to get in it? Pay attention to next tokens:
1. Visible channel of seething water, perpendicular to the beach.
2. In an off-shore zone there are areas with another tint of water: for example, around all light blue or greenish, and some zone white.
3. Area of foam, some marine vegetation, bubbles, that steadily move from a bank in a high sea.
4. There is a 5-10 - meter break in the continuous stripe of tidal waves.
If you see some of described, consider that drove you, and do not simply walk to float in this place. In contrast, it is not needed to forget that 80 dangerous spontaneously nascent rips in any way it is not proved by sight.
Ring-off flows arise up at shore. Id est, even if you stand in water waist-deep, and the more for a breast, you can catch up the rip and bear at sea. Contrary, just those, who are not able to float, do so - simply stand in water enjoy.
Therefore do not bathe alone and do not ignore red flags and signs on a beach.
1. Overcome panic! Take oneself in hand, in fact, people, knowing the rules of behavior in the rip, are rescued in 99 cases.
2. Save forces! It is not needed with might and main to row against the current, losing the supplies of energy. Swimming is needed not to the bank, and aside, in parallel to the beach. If the rip is narrow (to 5 meters), you will get out very quickly from it
3. Analyse! If you row on rules - aside, and getting out is not succeeded, the rip means wide (from 20 meters and any more). Then at once, we stop to spend forces to panic! Countercurrent is usually short and already it will cease in 3-4 minutes. After it sails on 50-100 meters aside, and already then return with breathing spaces ashore.
It is important to take into account and remember the following:
1. The rip will not carry away you on a bottom.
It is a not whirlpool and not a crater. Mostly ring-off flows are short and with high speed, the epiphany of water, that pulls from a bank along a surface, moves only, but not on a depth!
2. The Rip is not especially wide.
His width does not exceed 50 meters. Moreover, in most cases, it makes only 10-20 meters. As a result, swimming along the coast 20-30 meters is literal, you will notice that swam out from the rip.
3. Length of the limits’ rip.
A flow weakens quickly enough, the rip loses the force wherein waves arrive at a peak and begin to be broken up. On a surfing slang, this place is named “ line up”. Just all surfers preparing to conquer coming waves going to him. Usually, it is located not further, what in 100 meters from a bank.
Please, will share this information with your friends. Let as many as possible people hear about ring-off flows. Maybe, you will save not only the life but also lives the same other
What to do?
For each question, choose the best answer. The answer key is below.
- What is the most deadly threat in oceans and seas?
- Rip current
- To where does the rip pull out?
- To sea
- To coast
- What safety path are you going to take out in the situation with the rip?
- It is a diagonal one
- It is a straight one
- Rip current
- To coast
- It is a diagonal one