A freelance blogger and vlogger as well as a customer service representative. However, I am a librarian by profession but not practicing.
I wrote this hub in order to criticize the true essence of the government project here in the Philippines prioritizing the needs of the poorest of the poor. They named this as 4Ps (Note: I cannot put here the exact meaning of the 4Ps because it will violate the English only policy of the Hubpages). Anyway, just to give you an introduction about 4Ps, 4 Tagalog words that starts with letter "P" that deals with the help assistance for Filipino family.
In view of this, the main purpose of this priority assistance for the Filipino family specifically to the poorest of the poor has no problem at first months of the implementation. However, during the following months specifically when the community lockdown begins implemented by the Philippine Government to fight against the Corona Virus Disease 2019 or simply called COVID-19, the said priority assistance for the poor became questionable.
DURING THE LOCKDOWN
During the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) implemented last March 15, 2020 by the Philippine Government, majority of the workforce both private and public were forced to stop working. However, the exception was with the front liners like the nurses, doctors, police, soldiers, government officials specifically the IATF (Inter-Agency Task Force for COVID-19), city and municipal officials and other volunteers to fight against the COVID-19. The front liners have extra compensation aside from their salary, there are allowances and meals, however, the private employees like me, it depends upon the company if they will choose you as part of their skeletal workforce. If not, no work, no pay. In which, I am one of those, no work no pay private employees.
WHY SHOULD THIS PRIORITY ASSISTANCE FOR THE POOR TO BE ABOLISHED OR REINSTATE?
My opinion for now, why we have to think to abolished or reinstate the (4Ps) priority assistance for the poor?
Actually, like what I've I mentioned, the 4Ps was made to help the poorest of the poor families, with no job or with job but limited low income. However, some of the beneficiaries right now are somewhat like:
1. friends and/or family members of the community officials;
* if you are an official of the city or municipality, however, you have a member of the family or relatives needs an additional incentives, they will use their power to give the benefits exclusive for the poor, and extend the incentive to their relatives.
2. family with one or two members are working abroad;
* although, obviously, some of the family who are receiving the 4Ps benefits incentives, the implementing rules and regulations, if they have one or two members are working abroad, they are automatically not eligible for receiving incentives anymore. But, until now, there are still some 4Ps families are still receiving incentives even if they have one or two members working abroad.
3. family with one or two members are working in the prestigious companies;
* it depends upon the position when you are working in the prestigious companies, however, based on my observation as well as the observation of my friends, you can check their appliances in their house, they have big salaries, however, they are still getting the eligibility of receiving the priority assistance for the poor.
4. family with one or two members are receiving cash from the government and spending their benefits with gambling activities;
* who are you to receive cash benefits from the government if you will use that for gambling? You are wasting the money of the taxpayers.
5. family with one or two members are working in the government sectors already;
* who are you to receive cash benefits from the government if you are already working in the government. In which, most of the workforce in the government sectors have already a compensation higher than most of the private companies.
6. family with one or two members are not giving an initiative to look for a job;
* most of the 4Ps beneficiaries are only waiting for the cash incentives of the government monthly without looking for an initiative to look for a job. As a Chinese proverb said, "Teach them how to fish, not giving them a fish."
7. and other negative comments against the 4Ps beneficiaries.
* based on the social media that I've read, there are lots of negative comments from the netizens about the 4Ps beneficiaries.
4Ps beneficiaries support
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Luis G Asuncion
Luis G Asuncion (author) from City of San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan, Philippines on April 23, 2020:
Thanks Brenda for commenting. Stay safe always
BRENDA ARLEDGE from Washington Court House on April 21, 2020:
This time is hard for everyone. I'm not sure that our governments are looking af the ones who truly need help.
They seem to be looking at what is best for the economic future to jump start.
I wish you the best during these trying times.
Luis G Asuncion (author) from City of San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan, Philippines on April 16, 2020:
Thanks for the comment Pamela, DreamerMeg and Eric for that insights. God bless you all. Stay safe
Pamela Oglesby from Sunny Florida on April 16, 2020:
I am sorrry so hear of this very difficult problem for so many of the population who are not able to work at this time. I hope this situation ends very soon for you and your family. I know this is a problem in other countrie but saying that does not make it any easier for you.
DreamerMeg from Northern Ireland on April 16, 2020:
There are many countries that say they will give benefits to the poorest but it seems that many do not get them. Most (though not all) countries have enough coming in as income to give every citizen a basic living income. They should do so at all times. They can get their government income using other methods.
Eric Dierker from Spring Valley, CA. U.S.A. on April 16, 2020:
Interesting read. I think these problems are universal. A tough balance between those who are earnest and those who are not. We are top heavy with benefits. But no one needs to go hungry if they even just try to obtain them.