The notion of a pillow top mattress has become more widespread in their manufacturers’ showrooms. The thought of a toasty and bouncy-soft addition has all the m
It is made by adding an additional layer to the mattress in the form of a padded piece of luxurious upholstery. This is then stitched to the mattress itself and lends a fluffy element on top of a standard mattress.
It is almost similar to having the icing on top of a cupcake and feels like you are sleeping on a cloud.
Whichever your preference might be, this article will serve as a guideline to allow you to make an informed decision of your own.
The Manufacturing Process of a Pillow Top
This a two-parter process and can be categorized as follows:
Constructing the Support Section
The pillow top is fixed onto the top of the twin mattress and this then creates a mattress that basically consists of two different layers. Instantly your standard twin mattress is transformed into a soft one-sided mattress.
The inner components of the pillow top twin mattress can be made from material such as cage springs, foam, pocket springs, or even suspension springs.
Constructing the Pillow Top Section
The actual fleshy part of the twin mattress pillow top is crafted from material such as foam, latex, polyester, memory foam, and wool to name a few. Its soft layers provide the mattress with a sinking feeling, almost hugging the human body.
You can look at this YouTube video that explains the different types of pillow top mattresses.
The Difference Between a Twin Pillow Top Mattress Pad and a Twin Pillow Top Mattress
For sleepers who would prefer their trusty standard mattress, but would like additional comfort, the twin pillow top mattress pad will be an ideal option instead of an entirely new twin pillow top bed.
The pillow top mattress affords an additional layer of comfortability that can be placed on top of any standard twin mattress. This is a great cost-saving option too.
The twin mattress pads can be purchased at a cost of $150 or sometimes less.
Advantages of a Pillow Top
- This is a great product for any sleepers that are restless, as it will prevent them from slipping and falling off of the bed.
- It provides the sleeper with a very soft, plush experience.
- Pillow tops have a high comfortability level.
- Foam pillow top mattresses go a long way to relieve comfort to those suffering from backaches and pains.
- Pillow toppers and pillow top mattresses are available at affordable prices.
- They are not made from any harmful chemicals.
Some Great Twin Mattress Pillow Tops and Toppers to Buy Online
This is a product from renowned sleep experts TEMPUR. It has great pressure-relieving capabilities for the sleeper and can be removed and washed in a machine at home.
Some of its key features include:
- It is much more durable than the average memory foam mattress
- This is a multi-purpose product that is ideal for personal as well as commercial use in establishments such as yacht charters and hotels.
- The topper is removable and can be machine washed.
- This twin mattress topper adapts to the unique contours and temperature of your body.
- This product boats with memory foam technology.
COONP Twin Mattress Topper, Extra Thick Mattress Pad Cover, Cooling Cotton Pillow Top 400TC Plush Top with 8-21 Inch Deep Pocket
Just as the name of the manufacturer suggests, this addition to their range boasts the ultimate in luxury offers.
Some of its key features include:
- COONP offers its consumers a 100% after-sales service guarantee.
- This twin mattress topper can be removed and washed in a machine.
- Its pocketed technology has a similar nature to a fitted sheet and won’t move when you turn.
- This product is completely breathable.
- It has an extra layer for additional comfort to the sleeper.
ViscoSoft 4 Inch Pillow Top Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper Twin XL | Serene Dual Layer Mattress Pad
The manufacturer Viscosoft claims that you have not had your best sleep yet until you have spent a night on this gel memory foam mattress topper.
Some of its key features include:
- There is a 60-day money-back guarantee on every purchase.
- Its cover pad is removable and completely machine washable.
- It has a reduced smell in comparison to its competitors after it has been removed from the packaging.
- This product is great for any sleepers that suffer from an array of body aches and pains.
According to sleepfoundation.org the top-rated mattresses for 2021 are:
- Best Overall Product - Helix Midnight Luxe
- Best Value Product - WinkBed
- Most Comfortable Product - DreamCloud
- Best Product for Cooling - Beautyrest Black
- Best Product for Side Sleepers - Saatva Classic
Disadvantages of a Pillow Top
- The pillow top is not always tufted, which means that fibers might move around inside, which can lead to lumps and bumps on your sleeping surface.
- It is reported that pillow tops tend to have a short shelf life.
- The fixture of a pillow top onto your mattress is permanent. Therefore if the pillow top becomes worn, then the entire mattress would have to be replaced, which can be a menace and a costly exercise.
- You can’t flip your mattress once the pillow top is stitched onto it.
- A sagging pillow top can’t be repaired and needs to be replaced completely.
- The pillow top can’t be used as a standalone mattress.
- These products tend to have issues with heat retention, off-gassing, and durability.
- Pillow tops are not always suitable for heavier individuals and might cause extreme comfort.
Alternatives to a Pillow Top
If the drawbacks outweigh the advantages for you, then it’s recommended to rather consider using a topper that can be rotated, turned, and replaced once it has expired.
Another option would be to investigate and then personally try out a few standard twin mattresses that are soft and can be sufficient without a pillow top mattress on top.
Some Common FAQs Answered
Q: Does a Twin mattress pillow top really work?
A: This product is ideally suited to individuals who prefer a firmer bed. For example, the Mypillow topper is firmer in comparison to standard memory foam or pillow top toppers.
Q: How can I distinguish a pillow top mattress from a traditional one?
A: If you visit any manufacturer’s showroom, you will slide your hand over the twin mattress and you will easily be able to distinguish this from an average mattress due to the additional padding it offers. In some cases, this topper can be removed and in other instances, it will be stitched onto the mattress. Be sure to discuss the various options with a showroom consultant.
Q: Can I buy a pillow top mattress separately?
A: It is always recommendable to purchase the twin mattress and the twin mattress topper separately. Naturally, you might get a shelf life of up to ten years on your standard mattress, but unfortunately, the topper might only last for half as much in some instances. Ideally, you would want the option of replacing your pillow top if and need be. Plus, you can look for some options whereby the pillowtop can be removed and washed.
Q: What is the average shelf life of a twin pillow top mattress?
A: Typically you can expect the pillow top mattress to last between five and eight years max.
Q: What is the cost of a pillow top mattress?
A: The cost will vary on the brand that you prefer. The materials on the exterior and the interior, and the size of the twin pillow top mattress will determine the price thereof. You can expect to pay between $1000 and $1400 for luxury brands on average, but there are more budget-friendly options available online and elsewhere.
Q: In which sizes do pillow top mattresses and toppers come?
A: These products come in a variety of sizes, including full, king, twin, and queen.
Q: Which size sheets would I need for my pillow top mattress?
A: The pillow top mattress comes in different heights. But the sheets with deep pockets have three different levels of depth. This ranges between seven to 14 inches (regular size), 15 inches, and then 16-22 inches. It would be best to reach out to your pillow top mattress sales consultant for their expert guidance in this instance.
It is evident that twin pillow top mattresses and toppers are not the ideal solution for everyone. However, with some proper in-person research and guidance from experts, you might just be able to get a mattress that is suited to your needs.
If not, you can always try out some of the alternative options and sleep in the most luxurious comfort ever.
Kartikey4115 on February 20, 2021: