Robert Morgan "Bobby" is a holistic practitioner, master herbalist, iridologist, colonic therapist, author, and international lecturer.
This Powerful Ancient Herbal Remedy Could Help You Save A Life...
Poultices are still just as effective today, as they were a 1000 years ago. They are a powerful and valuable means of helping to draw out infection, reduce inflammation, increase blood flow to the area that is covered, and speed healing. I use them on a regular basis, as an adjunct healing protocol. I have even used them to assist in reducing cancerous tumors.
Don't be afraid to experiment with different blends of raw, poultice materials. I have listed what I feel to be the most powerful individual and combined herbal based poultices. There are two herbs I like to add to almost all of my poultices.
Two Of My Favorite Poultice Foundatons
My number one choice to add to almost all poultices is raw Cayenne pepper in an herbal tincture form. The active chemical agent in Cayenne is Capsaicin and Cayenne tincture should be in everyone's medicine cabinet.
I would go as far to say any naturopath, or holistic advisor who doesn't use Cayenne pepper, as one of the major components in their healing protocols, is doing a disservice to their clients.
This amazing herb/food works miracles within the body. Place it on any part of the body that is experiencing pain from arthritis, muscle strains, sprains and injuries, shingles, psoriasis, fibromyalgia and any pain radiating from nerve damage. The cancer cell killing properties of Cayenne is next to a miracle and should be used in any poultice that you are using to address a cancer tumor. When you add Cayenne to a poultice, it will speed up and increase blood flow to the affected area and immediately go to work on inflammation and funguses.
My second most favorite herb, I like to use with many of my poultices is lobelia, in the herbal tincture form. This powerful herb can give almost immediate relief, as it eases up muscle contractions and breaks up congestion. If a client had breathing difficulties, asthma, or any sickness, or disease affecting the respiratory system, I will always add Lobelia to the poultice.
Proper Care Of Skin Makes For A Better Poultice
Because our skin is our largest organ, and our first-line of defense against most diseases we need to be aware that whatever we put on our skin will be absorbed into the body. That is ALL things, good and bad! When we apply a poultice on top of the skin, it's medicinal health benefits go directly to areas of the body that are most in need of immediate attention.
Before applying any poultice to any part of my client's bodies, I make sure they have taken a shower in filtered water. The filter will remove chlorine, radon, and heavy metals. It seems that many people don't know that when showering, all of these impurities are absorbed through your skin and enter the body, lowering immune functions and setting us up for a multitude of illnesses. If you don't have a whole home filtering system, you should at least install one at your sink for drinking water, and one on your shower-head. You can purchase excellent water filters from Home Depot or Amazon and install them in minutes.
6 Simple Poultices That Can Be Made For The Following Conditions
The following list of health challenges does not reflect every condition where a poultice could prove beneficial, but should serve as a foundation for using poultices in your healing protocols.
- Abscesses - Usually a bacterial infection is present, there will be redness, pain, warmth, and swelling. - Simple Poultice: Blend or mash a small onion, 1 tablespoon of clay, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, add enough water to make a paste. Place the onion, pepper and water mixture in a cheese cloth and wrap it around the infection.
- Boils - Usually a bacterial infection is present and more than likely the boil will encapsulate a hair follicle. There will be redness, pain heat and swelling. Treat them just like you treat abscesses or you can use any drawing salve. Simple Poultice: If you have nothing else available, take a piece of bread and soak it in milk. Mash it and lay it on the boil, it will cause the boil to come to a head very quickly.
- Bruises - Are always caused by internal bleeding, usually in tissues near the surface of the skin. Simple Poultice: 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup of comfrey powder, 1/4 cup of onion, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Mix well and add water until its paste. Apply the paste directly to the bruise. You may place some plastic over the paste to keep it moist. Replace every 3-4 hours.
- Carbuncles - These are related to abscesses and boils, but are much larger. There will be pain, warmth, redness and swelling. Simple Poultice: Mix three tablespoon of turmeric, 2 tablespoons of red clay, one-half teaspoon of cayenne, add just enough water to make a paste. Apply the mixture directly on the carbuncle. Place a piece o plastic wrap over the mixture to keep it moist. Leave it on for 4 to 8 hours.
- Coughs: They usually accompany our common colds and last from 2-4 weeks. Simple Poultice: Grind or blend 1 cup of onion, 1/cup of salt, 1 tablespoon of eucalyptus oil, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Mix all these together in a pot on the stove, warm, but do not cook. Place oil on the chest, preferably coconut oil, but any oil will suffice. Put the concoction on the chest cover with plastic wrap, place a hot water bottle or heating pad on the plastic and leave on for 4-8 hours.
- Bone fractures - Anytime there is a break in any bone in the body. Simple Poultice: Alway use comfrey. 1/2 cup of dried ground comfrey root and leaves. 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne. Mix the ingredients with enough water to make a paste and apply on all sides of the break. Cover the break completely Wrap the poultice and the in plastic and leave on for 8 hours. repeat daily. This method of utilizing the comfrey as the basis of the poultice will substantially cut the healing time.
For dozens of other poultice protocols, see my HubPage "The Wonders Of Poultices".
Simple Poultice Making Instrutions
Before applying the poultice, disinfect the area you are going to be covering. You can use hydrogen peroxide and/or alcohol. Hydrogen peroxide at 3% dilution is preferred.
When you make a poultice, it is best to use a piece of non-bleached flannel material, which is large enough to cover the affected area completely. If possible, spread the necessary poultice paste on the affected area and also on the cloth.
You may want to cover the poultice material with another layer of cloth or plastic wrap, to prevent the staining of your clothes.
Makings Of A Basic Poultice:
- Wheatgrass juice 2- 4 oz
- Comfrey juice 2- 4oz – If available.
- Coconut oil 1- 2oz
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- Water 1- 2oz
- Blend the above ingredients together, and then stir in clay 3-4oz until paste is formed
Use this poultice in the morning, after your bath and leave on for several hours. Remove it and reapply it again in the evening, before bedtime. You can use a hot water bottle or heating pad on top of it to keep the poultice warm. If your skin is irritated by the clay, stop using it for a while.
Healing Poultice Ingredients In Your Cupboard
Some other ingredients you may have in your cupboard, yard, or garden, that can be used in poultices are:
- Cabbage - Draws out poisons from the body.
- Castor Oil- Reduces inflammation
- Comfrey - Reduces swelling, decreases the healing time for broken bones and wounds.
- Fig - Brings boils to a head.
- Garlic - Draws out poisons and has great antibiotic effects.
- Ginger - Relieves pain, congestion and cleanses the blood.
- Marjoram - Relieves toothaches, earaches,
- Mustard - Reduces inflammation and congestion.
- Oatmeal Relieves inflammation, draws out foreign objects. Use for stings and bites.
- Onion - Reduces inflammation, bruises, and has great drawing power.
- Plantain - Great for reducing swelling around sores, and cleaning out infection.
- Potato - Apply on bruises, sprains, and any carbuncle.
- Slippery Elm - Makes one of the best all-around healing poultices.
- Vinegar (Apple Cider) Healing effect on sprains, strains, sore throat, swollen glands, and aching muscles.
Ask Your Physican
If the area you are applying the poultice onto does not respond quickly or adequately, seek the advice of a qualified physician. Always consult with a licensed medical doctor, before doing any kind of poultice. You are free to copy this article and take it to your medical physician. If your medical physician is not familiar with poultices, please have have him/her contact a qualified alternative health adviser.
DMSO 60 Minutes Interview
DMSO A Polutice Supercharger?
We have recently considered using DMSO mixed into certain poultices that address pain. It's an amazing carrier that helps the herbs quickly penetrate the skin and expedite the absorption of the poultice contents to the affected area. I am still in the consideration mode and would appreciate your insights and comments. I need to say this, DMSO should not be used without guidance from your medical doctor. DMSO is not intended for use on human beings. Read about DMSO before even considering using it as part of your healing protocol. You can purchase DMSO for under $15.00 on amazon.com. I do not endorse this healing protocol, books or DMSO products. This discussion of DMSO is for education and entertainment purposes.
Bobby Morgan - Naturopath & Live Food Nutrition Counselor
Sue Ellen Meisheri RN, BSN and Health Counselor
Did You Find this Article Helpful?
Did you find this article helpful? Or perhaps you have other poultices you would like to discuss. Did You Find this Article Helpful? Please leave your comments below!
Any medicinal references mentioned here are strictly for educational purposes based on my research through study, empirical evidence, personal use and herbal lore but not intended as medical advice of any kind. Herbs can be helpful allies in creating and maintaining good health but they can also be powerful medications that should be treated with respect. Used improperly, they can cause adverse reactions or interfere with pharmaceuticals.
This website contains general information about medical conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such. It is for educational and entertainment purposes only.
The medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Robert Morgan nor Sue Meisheri makes no representations or warranties in relation to the medical information on this website.
Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, Robert Morgan or Sue Meisheri does not warrant that the medical information on this website will be constantly available, or available at all; or the medical information on this website is complete, true, accurate, up-to-date, or non-misleading.
You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. If you have any specific questions about any medical matter you should consult your doctor or other professional healthcare provider.
If you think you may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention. You should never delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice, or discontinue medical treatment because of information on this website.
Watch for more health, nutrition and lifestyle articles:
- Creative Living Food Lifestyles
- Is Your Colon Healthy
- Foods That Decrease Healing Time
- Why We Need To Feed Ourselves Cellular Oxygen
- Creative Health and Healing
- Live Foods That Help Overcome Negative Emotions
- Amazing Natural Digestive Cures
- Overcoming Unhealthy Relationships With Food
- Coffee Enemas
- Power of Fermented Foods
- Growing a Healing Garden In Your Kitchen
- Your Organic Patio Garden
- Aeroponic and Hydroponic Organic Gardening
- Making Fermented Foods
- Growing Super Wheat Grass
- Wheat Grass Implants
- Ann Wigmore Lives
- Enzyme Lifeforce
- Optimal Health With Live Foods
- Welcome to the Optimum Health Institute (OHI)
Optimum Health Institute (OHI) offers a holistic healing program that promotes the well-being of your body, mind, and spirit. Discover how OHI can help transform your life
- Hippocrates Health Institute | The Leader in the Field of Natural and Complementary Health Care and
The Hippocrates Health Institute has been the preeminent leader in the field of natural and complementary health care and health education since 1956.
- Ann Wigmore Institute .:. About the Institute
- RawKitchen.com - Rita Romano expert in raw food, raw food recipes and wellness style | learn from th
Cynthia Zirkwitz from Vancouver Island, Canada on September 16, 2019:
Thank you Robert for the information on poultices. It is always handy to have quick access to the effective materials for when something "breaks out".
We have been using DMSO in our household for a few years now with positive results, as covered in your article. We also use CBD oil and sometimes activated charcoal powder.
Excellent reference hub!
Robert Morgan (author) from Hutchinson Island, FL - Myrtle Beach, SC - Gilbert AZ on July 07, 2016:
Hi, Richard. Thanks for stopping in. Hope to be writing more in the near future.
Richard on June 05, 2016:
Sure like to become more knowledgable about this and other alternatives.
Robert Morgan (author) from Hutchinson Island, FL - Myrtle Beach, SC - Gilbert AZ on August 09, 2015:
Thank You, Marlene. Again, I'm very blessed to have you ready my hubs. I am working on several more hubs, which I believe will be of much better quality/ Thanks for being a great example of an exceptional author. Wishing you, and yours a magnificent week ahead. Bobby
Marlene Bertrand from USA on August 09, 2015:
I always wondered exactly what a poltice was and how it worked. You have a way of explaining things so that I can fully comprehend and utilize. I learned a lot. Thank you for such useful information.
Robert Morgan (author) from Hutchinson Island, FL - Myrtle Beach, SC - Gilbert AZ on August 01, 2015:
Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad this hub was helpful to you. I love using poultices, as they can really address many of our health challenges, without our having to spend large sums of money. Blessings to you and your loved ones, Bobby
RTalloni on August 01, 2015:
Very interesting with loads of details to apply immediately and use as a springboard for researching more information. Thanks.
Robert Morgan (author) from Hutchinson Island, FL - Myrtle Beach, SC - Gilbert AZ on July 07, 2015:
Thanks for reading my article. I love poultices as they have amazing healing properties. The answer to your first question is you want to change-out the poultice within 4 hours and you can refrigerate the extra. Have a blessed week.
Polly on June 15, 2015:
One last question can you refrigerate the extra?
Polly on June 15, 2015:
Thank you! How long do you recommend leaving the paste on each time?
Robert Morgan (author) from Hutchinson Island, FL - Myrtle Beach, SC - Gilbert AZ on June 14, 2015:
Bentonite has been one of my regular go to clays, but I also use Montmorillonite clay, especially for infections. Thanks for stopping in have a great week.
Polly on June 14, 2015:
What kind of clay?
Robert Morgan (author) from Hutchinson Island, FL - Myrtle Beach, SC - Gilbert AZ on May 01, 2015:
You are so welcome. Have a blessed week.
Naturesway on May 12, 2014:
I'm using the cayenne for a strained muscle and let me tell you my first 24 hours of using it I had an AMAZING relief of the inflammation I felt. As the inflammation reduces it's speeds up healing! Thank God for Cayenne and healing foods :)