PS has worked as a freelance writer since 2012. When she's not traveling and writing, she helps people with web design and development.
Worldwide famous for its superb moves, martial arts are a splendid collection of combat skills and great health. Literally, they are termed as codified techniques to gain the skills of self-defense during a war or a fighting competition. Besides these, they are also meant to enhance a person’s spiritual, emotional, mental and physical stability.
According to martial arts experts, a person with a calmer mind can win thousands and thousands of battles rather than a person with agitated mind and that’s what martial arts are all about.
Brief history of Martial Arts
- Bodhidharma started the tradition of martial arts in the early 5th century AD.
- He popularized the art by visiting to China from India. According to legendary accounts, it is said that he is the reason for the beginning of Shaolin martial arts.
- As the system gained more popularity, Western countries started showing interest in Asian Martial Arts in the late 19th century.
- Asian Martial Arts include the martial arts of countries China, India, Japan and Korea.
- Edward William Barton-Wright, a jujitsu (national sport of Japan) expert and railway engineer, was the first to taught martial arts in European countries.
- Martial Arts gained wide fame across the world via movies. Actors such as Bruce lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Donnie Yen became the martial arts icon and an inspiration to many people.
- Today, martial arts are taught in most of the countries and have become an important training before going to combat
In 21st century, most of the countries have developed their own style of martial arts and have named that style differently. Some of them are:
- Africa: Istunka
- Brazil: Brazilian jiu-jitsu
- Canada: Okichitaw
- United States: Jeet Kune Do
- China: Wing Chun
- India: Kalaripayattu
- Indonesia: Kuntao
- Japan: Ju-Jitsu
- Korea: Taekwondo
- Malaysia: Tomoi
- Thailand: Muay Thai
- Vietnam: Tam Qui Khi-Kong
- Europe: Pankration
- England: Quarterstaff
- France: Savate
- Spain: Juego del Palo
Steps to start martial arts training
- Before starting the training, learn the tradition.
- It is better to start the training with meditative exercise first as it calms your mind and helps you to concentrate more.
- Focus and speed are the two most important elements to learn any kind of martial arts.
- While focus provides you control over your moves, speed makes your moves stronger.
- Trust yourself. Some skills can be tougher and may require lots of efforts to accomplish but it will be done, you need to trust your instincts.
- Practice one move thousand times. Learning thousand moves at one time will make you perfect in none.
- While in a combat or competition, create your moves with respect to your opponent’s moves.
- As said by Bruce lee, martial artists need to be like water. They should try to learn and adopt their competitor’s moves that will help them to overpower their competitor. Not forget to mention, Bruce Lee is a late legendary martial artist and the founder of Jeet Kune Do.
Martial Art helps to achieve a healthy lifestyle. How? Read further…
- It is a high-aerobic workout similar to cardio.
- It helps in the improvement of flexibility, stamina, balance and strengthening of bones and muscles.
- It encourages a positive life and thus, enhances self-confidence.
- It improves cardiovascular health and prevents from mental and heart diseases.
- It is an effective way of losing at least one thousand calories within two hours.
- It improves reflex action and enhances your speed, stimulating faster body reaction in daily activities of life.
- It is one of the best ways to bring peace to mind and increase your concentration level.
- It rejuvenates you and makes your mood better.
- It relieves you from stress and depression.
- It builds higher potential in you to learn brilliant self-defense techniques.
- It also prevents from diseases such as asthma, osteoporosis and any sort of body pain.
Please note that martial arts require lots of bodily efforts, if you are suffering from some serious ailments, then do not try them until you have fully recovered.
Famous Martial Artists
- Bruce Lee, American
- Yip Man and Jackie Chan, Chinese
- Morihei Ueshiba, Japanese
- Helio Gracie, Brazilian
- Vidyut Jamwal, Indian
- Tony Jaa, Thai
- Robin Shou, Hong Kong Chinese
- Jean-Claude Van Damme, Belgian
- Mas Oyama, Korean
- Angela Mao, Taiwanese
- Iko Uwais, Indonesian
Top 10 martial arts weapons
- Sickles: Sickles have curved blade mainly used for agricultural purposes.
- Stick/Staff weapons: Stick and Staff weapons are same kind of tools that have a big rod with one end sharply pointed and another most of the time blunt.
- Spear weapons: Spear weapons are pole weapons with pointed heads where heads are fastened with shaft made of steel, iron or bronze.
- Swords: Swords are quite famous from ancient time. They are bladed weapons with a handle.
- Clubs: Clubs are short weapons generally made of wood.
- Batons: Batons are similar to clubs, but they are made of metal.
- Fencing weapons: Fencing weapons are the type of swords that are used during a competition with full body protection.
- Knives: Knives are hand-held tools with cutting edge or a blade.
- Practice weapons: Unlike other weapons, practice weapons are not made for killing someone. They are generally made of wood and used during training.
- Shields: Shields are protective metallic tools that help oneself to intercept the opponent's attack.
Few more points about martial arts
- Asian martial arts are associated with beliefs such as Shinto, Confucianism, Daoism, Buddhism and Hinduism.
- Out of all martial arts, Shaolin Kung Fu (another name for martial arts) is the greatest of all because it has been home to many world famous generals, masters and warriors in history. Also, it has the most extensive and finest skills, philosophy and techniques. It is also known for its strict schedule, spirituality and intense training.
Last but not the least, if martial arts appeal you like anything, then what are you waiting for? Start today, my friend. Good Luck.