Keeping in shape is the desire of most people and it builds your confidence when you are around people. In your place of work, in that meeting, in your family get-together, or even when you hang out with friends. There is no worse feeling when you put your jean on and notice that it can’t go above your thigh, or your shirt is suddenly too tight for you and you can’t button up.
There have been many struggles to lose weight and while some diets work for some persons, some don’t work for others, but no need to get disappointed in your search for weight loss. Well done!
There are certain foods that you may not have thought would actually serve the purpose of weight loss but they have the potentials to do so.
Without much ado, let’s dive into it!
Protein is hard to digest so your body will burn more calories by trying to break the proteins. They are a good form of slow-release energy to keep you going throughout the day.
- Egg is a good source of protein and it contains choline and a little amount of omega -3. Eggs contain vitamin B12 to metabolize fat. Egg therefore, can play a major role in helping to achieve weight loss.
- Beans is also a good source of protein. They are filling, versatile and high in fiber. They are slow to digest which will prevent you to eat more.
- Lentils packed with fiber, folate and magnesium, this versatile fat-free legume can be fabulous supporting player of a slimming healthy eating regimen
2. Lean meats & fish
- Turkey is lean protein which helps you to stay fuller for longer. It has amino acids which are the building blocks for muscle.
- Salmon contains lean source of protein which helps your body keep in check of your food intake because once you are filled, you won’t be able to eat more; It helps to feel full without adding fat. It is an essential nutrient especially for women aged 18 to 50 years. Salmon has Vitamin B12 which is the central part of your diet. This can lower the level of hormone in the body called leptin.
- Tuna: This fish contains amino acids that can help the body to build muscles. It has low calorie and low carb but is very high in protein. Taking tuna aids weight loss.
3. Reduced fat milk
This is one of the healthiest dairy items. It is low in fat and it’s an excellent sources of protein, calcium, vitamin B and phosphorus.
- Skim milk is a good example of reduced fat milk as it contain lower sugar and saturated fats. Milk helps in building your metabolism which boosting your insulin level stay low after a meal.
- Vitamin C fruits such as lemon, lime, grape, guava and orange have properties of fat burning character. The vitamin C dilutes the fat making it less potent helping it to be released from the body quickly.
- Grapefruit can help to reduce weight loss, possibly due to a reduction in insulin levels.
- Apple: Numerous studies have found that eating an apple an hour before a mean has the result of cutting the calories of the meal. The pectin that are present in apples prevent the cells to absorb fat.
- Almonds helps builds muscles and reduce cravings. Raw almonds with their skin on is better than salted almonds
5. Whole grain
The human body burns twice as many calories, breaking down whole foods than processed foods
- Oatmeal boosts energy, reduces cholesterol, maintains blood sugar level and helps burn fat and regulates digestion. It is rich in fiber also. Taking 50g of oatmeal a day is best and this should be done at breakfast.
- Brown rice is fiber-packed alternative to super white rice; it has fewer calories. A half cup serving contains 1.7 grams of resistant starch, a healthy carb that boosts metabolism and burns fat.
This food source plays an important role in burning down fats. Consuming 20 – 35 grams of fiber a day are good ways to lose some percentage of fats: example of fiber foods are beans, potatoes, spinach. Foods high in fiber can help you fill full sooner and for longer.
- Pasta: is fortified with fiber to keep your body absorbing too quickly. It is a good carbohydrate for athletes and those who exercises a lot because it replenishes your body’s energy store and keep blood sugar from dipping too low.
Pasta gives a lot of energy and when spend well, you cut down on fats in your body.
- Garlic is another effective fat burning food. It contains allicin which help reduce cholesterol as fats
- Broccoli: they are rich in fiber, loaded with antioxidants and overall, an amazing vegetable. Rich in potassium, iron, calcium, phosphorous, and zinc, this wonderful vegetable can aid weight loss.
- Spinach: spinach is a low calorie food and a good source of dietary fiber that boosts satiety. It helps you fill up but you don’t add weight. So adding spinach to high calorie meals helps reduce your overall calorie intake.
You may wonder, why eating fats when we actually want to lose fat? But there are fat-foods that actually help in reducing weight.
- Avocadoes: are high in fat and most times eaten in large quantity. It is a best and simple way to prevent metabolic syndrome. It has a beneficial effect on cholesterol levels. It can help reduce fat-belly fat.
- Quinoa is a grain crop. It is harder to digest so you will burn down calories during digestion. It is good to start the day with quinoa and to consume it every day too because it has neutral flavor and is versatile.
Nuts have high fat contents but they contains monounsaturated fat, vitamin E, folic acid, protein, fiber and magnesium. They can reduce the rate of heart disease and reduce bad cholesterols levels. They are also filling and would not require you to eat much food.
10. Dark chocolate
A small quantity of dark chocolates can kill craving for sweet and salty foods. The antioxidants in chocolates can also help block the breakdown of fat and carbohydrates. It can also lower blood pressure.
There you have it!
While most of us may desire to lose weight, it is imperative that when we start a diet we should be consistent to it for us to see better results.
© 2022 Deborah Osadjere