What is levocetirizine?
- Levocetirizine belongs to a group of drugs known as "antihistamines" and is mainly used in the prevention and treatment of allergic disorders.
- Levocetirizine is commonly used in the treatment of itching due to seasonal allergies, hay fever, pores, sneezing, nose etc.
- Levocetirizine is available in two forms:
- 5 mg tablet
Suspension form (0.5 mg / ml oral solution)
How does levocetirizine work?
- Levocetirizine is an antihistamine that works by blocking the release of chemical messengers (histamine) involved in allergic reactions in your body.
- It relieves allergy symptoms like sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes etc.
How to take levocetirizine?
- It has been suggested that the dose and duration of levocetirizine is based on your age, physical health, severity of the condition and initial response to therapy.
- Levocetirizine is widely absorbed after taking it orally and food has no effect on its absorption, thus it can be taken with or without food. For patients with gastric problems, it is better to take it after meals.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a specific time, preferably taken while going to bed, which can cause acute calmness.
- The tablet should be swallowed whole with no fluids without being crushed, chewed, or smashed.
- If you are using a suspension form, measure the dose with the help of a measuring cup. Shake the bottle well before each use.
- The drug should not be stopped on its own without medical advice or prior to the prescribed course of treatment.
- If it is taken as a counter product, check the instructions before use.
Common dose of levocetirizine
- The dosage is usually determined by your doctor depending on your situation. Do not take more than the recommended dose as this may increase the incidence of calmness at higher doses.
- The recommended therapeutic dose for levocetirizine in adults is 5mg (one tablet / 10ml oral solution) daily in the evening / night time.
- 2.5 mg (half tablet / 5 ml oral solution) is recommended for people over 65 years of age after a daily dose of levocetirizine is recommended.
- In patients suffering from kidney diseases, levocetirizine should be advised with caution.
- If your condition persists or worsens after taking levocetirizine, discontinue the medication and inform your doctor.
Projection - When to avoid levocetirizine
- Levocetirizine should be avoided or used with caution:
- Patients allergic to any of its components
- Patients with severe kidney disease
- Patients undergoing cerebral hemodialysis
Side effects of salt: levocetirizine
- Apart from its intended uses, it can also cause some undesirable side effects. The list of most commonly seen side effects include:
- head ache
- Dry mouth
- to feel sick
- stomach ache
- Feeling weakness
Rare side effects of levocetirizine
- Fast heartbeat
- Abnormal liver function
- Blurred vision
- Decreased blood platelet
- Also it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, see a doctor immediately.
Effects on organs
- Levocetirizine can affect the central nervous system and cause a variety of effects, including dizziness, sleepiness, and fatigue.
- Patients with severe hepatic (liver disease) and kidney (kidney disease) should use levocetirizine with caution and should be under the supervision of a doctor.
- Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
- Symptoms of an allergic reaction include:
- Skin rashes / itching
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
Be careful of drug interactions
- Levocetirizine may interact with other medications, vitamin supplements, herbal products that you are taking. This can be harmful.
- It is always advisable to inform your doctor about all medications / over the counter products / vitamin supplements used before using levocetirizine.
- Not all possible drug interactions may be listed here. Some important drug interactions are listed below:
- Use of these drugs with levocetirizine may affect the therapeutic effect and also increase the chances of side effects.
- Thus taking levocetirizine with these drugs may require dose or drug replacement.
Effect / result
- Levocetirizine starts showing its effects within a few hours of taking it and the effect lasts for about 24 hours.
- However, it is advisable to take levocetirizine until the symptoms disappear.