Rajan is a botany and chemistry major. He has worked as a poultry breeder for 23 years, breeding layer and broiler parents.
Kalonji, Nigella sativa seeds or Black seeds
Latin Name : Nigella sativa
Indian Names : Kalonji, mangrail, kalojira, kalzira etc.
Common Names: Black seed, nigella seeds, nigella sativa seeds, fennel flower, nutmeg flower, Roman coriander etc.
About Kalonji Seeds
Some names that have been incorrectly associated with kalonji or Nigella sativa seeds are: onion seeds, black sesame seeds, black caraway seeds, black cumin, in fact, are not seeds of Nigella sativa.
The earliest written reference to kalonji or Nigella sativa seeds is believed to be in the book of Isaiah in the Old Testament.
This article is going to be a lengthy one but I would like to assure the readers that it is worth the long read, since this herb, Nigella sativa or kalonji, provides so many benefits (all with scientific references that you can find and read, in the references section), that a short write up could not have done justice to this 'miracle herb' as it is rightly called.
Nigella sativa is considered one of the greatest healing herbs of all times.
Nigella sativa plants
Kalonji Names Around The world
- Carvi (France)
- Schwarzkummel (Germany)
- Kezat (Israel)
- Chernuskha (Russia)
- Corek-Otu (Turkey)
- Habbatul Barakah/Habbatus-Sanda (Arabia)
- Siyat Daneh (Persia)
Kalonji Seeds and Onion Seeds are Different
There is a widespread misconception that kalonji seeds are onion seeds or that both are one and the same thing because they are wrongly called black onion seeds.
The truth is both seeds are different. Each seed is not only produced by a different plant the plants themselves belong to different plant families.
Below is a video which explains the difference in more detail. Please read the detailed written information in the description box as well.
Kalonji Seeds and Onion Seeds Difference
About Nigella sativa Plant, Its History And Some Facts
Nigella sativa plants an annual flowering plant that grows to about 1.5 to 2 feet in height. It is native to Asia and the Middle East. The flowers are white or pale blue and delicate looking. The seeds are about 2-3 mm long having triangular in shape with one end pointed and the other a bit rounded. They are jet black in colour.
The plant has a history of over 3000 years and kalonji or nigella sativa seeds have been a part of prophetic remedies used by both Muslims and non-Muslims. Nigella seeds have been referenced in the Bible, in the book of Isaiah in the Old Testament.
These seeds have also been called black seeds and have been recommended by Prophet Muhammad who stated that these seeds can cure every disease except death. Yes! you read that right. The seeds are so effective in treating a variety of ailments which have been corroborated by scientific studies that are rife all over the net if you search for the health benefits of Nigella sativa seeds or kalonji
There is mention in the Assyrian herbal book, of Nigella sativa seeds being used, for a variety of internal and external applications for the disease.
The earliest archaeological evidence of its cultivation has been reported from ancient Egypt with the findings of Nigella sativa seeds or kalonji in the Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun's tomb, which dates as far back as almost 3300 years.
Hippocrates used it in the 5th century BC. Pliny, as well, used it in the 1st century and wrote about it in his book "Natural Historia". The Greek physician Dioscorides, too, used these seeds.
Kalonji seeds have been used in Ayurveda since centuries while in the Orient too, in herbal medicine, it has been used for treating a variety of health issues.
In Arabic culture, Nigella sativa is called 'Habbatul barakah", meaning, "the seeds of blessings".Nigella sativa has also been called a miracle herb and its health benefits have been vouched for by traditional medicine and ratified by modern medical literature and, since 1964, there have been 458 published studies referencing it.
The list of the studies will give you an idea that the health benefits of kalonji or nigella sativa seeds are a very exhaustive one covering almost all the disease conditions.
In the Hadiths (sayings ascribed to the prophet Muhammad), it is said that the black seeds, nigella sativa seed or kalonji are a cure for everything except death.
Today Nigella sativa is grown in the U.S., Russia, Egypt, Arabia, Ethiopia, India, the Middle East, Far East, Turkey, Bangladesh, France, Germany and the Mediterranean.
Nigella sativa is introducing into the U.S. in the late 1980s and is commonly called black seed or black cumin.
Nutrients In Kalonji, Nigella sativa Seeds or Black Seeds
- Contains over 100 important nutrients.
- Contains nigellone, thymoquinone and other fixed oils as active ingredients.
- Contains 15 amino acids; of the 9 essential amino acids, it contains 8 of them. Also contains the amino acid arginine that is essential for infant growth.
- contains 50% essential fatty acids like linoleic and oleic acids, etc and 0.5-1,5% volatile oils like nigellone and thymoquinone, and alkaloids and saponins.
- Contains calcium, iron, sodium, potassium and iron, manganese, zinc and selenium minerals.
- Also contains Vitamin A, B1, B2, C and niacin.
- It contains a number of sterols especially Beta-sitosterol which has anti-cancer properties.
- Another active principle it contains is Thymohydrochionon which is an antihistamine and analgesic.
- Contains sugar in the form of single-molecule ones, like the monosaccharides, glucose, xylose, rhamnose, and arabinose.
- The dietary fibre is a non-starch polysaccharide.
- Nigella seed contains 35% oil, 21% protein and 38% carbohydrates.
Health Benefits Of Kalonji or Nigella sativa Seeds
Kalonji or black seeds have antihistaminic, antioxidant, antibiotic, antimycotic, bronchodilating effects.
They also have carminative, diuretic, emmenagogue, galactagogue, stimulant, resolvent, stomachic, sudorific, tonic, vermifuge properties.
Further, they have anti-cancer, antitumour, immune-boosting, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties among other health benefiting properties.
Far too many are the health benefits of kalonji, to be all, listed here. I am listing just some of them.
- Nigella sativa seeds are useful in treating and curing opioid dependence. It also cures the weakness that comes with such dependence.
- Kalonji has anti H.pylori bacteria that causes a lot of stomach distress like bloating, flatulence, indigestion, gas, heaviness etc.
- Nigella sativa seeds reduce fasting blood glucose levels as well as insulin resistance. Moreover, it does not adversely affect the renal or hepatic functions in diabetic patients.
- Kalonji has anti-asthmatic properties. It has positive bronchodilatory effects on the airways of asthmatic patients thereby relieving asthma symptoms.
- Consuming kalonji seeds every day for a period of 2 months has shown to lower blood pressure in patients with mild hypertension in studies.
- Extracts of black seeds have shown anti-epileptic activity in children. The frequency of seizures was reduced significantly during the period of treatment.
- Kalonji inhibits fungal growth or candidiasis and can be used to successfully treat fungal infections.
- Nigella sativa seeds decreased the elevated heart rate, blood glucose concentration, damage to the pancreatic beta cells and the elevated red and white cell counts in rats that were given Cadmium.
- It significantly lowers LDL cholesterol and raises HDL cholesterol levels.'
- Kalonji increases the insulin sensitivity and therefore benefits by its anti-diabetic effects.
- It protects the lungs against sulphur mustard gas, the agent used in chemical warfare.
- Kalonji also regenerates and increases the number of beta cells of the pancreas which decrease raised blood glucose levels by increasing insulin output.
- When Nigella sativa oil is orally ingested it inhibits the development of cancer by suppressing tumour cell proliferation in colon mucosa as studies in rats have indicated. All this without the side effects associated with chemotherapy treatment.
- Kalonji treats and prevents, treats and corrects tamoxifen-induced liver damages by scavenging free radicals. Tamoxifen is currently widely used in breast cancer treatment.
- Nigella sativa seeds along with cloves prevent aflatoxin induced damage to the liver and even normalize the parameters altered due to aflatoxin. Aflatoxins are known to have immunity lowering action and have carcinogenic, mutagenic, teratogenic and hepatotoxic properties and kalonji due to its anti-inflammatory effects and antioxidant properties offers significant protection against these damages.
- The thymoquinone in kalonji has strong antioxidant activity that protects the kidney from toxicity against injected gentamycin.
- Thymoquinone also suppresses arthritis.
These are but a few of the health benefits of kalonji, black seed or Nigella sativa seeds.
Nigella sativa Oil
Some Health Benefits Of Kalonji In A Nutshell
In simple language, these health benefits include,
- Boosting of immunity levels.
- Lowering of blood sugar levels.
- Benefiting the cardiovascular system.
- Offering anti-cancer benefits in various types of cancers like those of the intestine, throat, blood etc.
- Providing anti-allergy benefits thus protecting in asthma, eczema, allergic rhinitis etc.
- Offering anti-inflammatory benefits which include relieving arthritis and joint pains and swellings.
- Relieving withdrawal symptoms in those trying to get off opiates.
- Offering antimicrobial properties which include anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anthelmintic effects.
- Relieving stomach related problems like indigestion, gas, pain, nausea, vomiting, etc.
- Providing relief in women's issues likes like leucorrhea, irregular menses, etc.
- Removes tiredness and fatigue.
- Stops renal pain, removes kidney stones and infections.
- Improves memory and strengthens the brain.
- Benefits in a number of skin diseases.
- Benefits in diseases like leprosy and epilepsy.
- Useful in treating ear problems like an earache, pus formation, low hearing, etc.
- Useful in dental diseases like halitosis, loose teeth, swelling of gums, toothache, etc.
- Cures anaemia, increases haemoglobin count.
- Cures jaundice, useful in liver disorders and diseases.
- Useful in problems associated with urine like less urine output, burning sensation on urinating, etc.
- Normalizes fevers and high temperature.
- Removes dandruff, stops hair fall and baldness.
- Increases milk in lactating mothers.
- Relieves and cures a variety of skin problems like psoriasis etc.
- Relieves headaches and migraine.
Some Practical Home Uses Of Kalonji or Black Seeds/Oil
Collected are home remedies with kalonji from various sources.
- Dry cough
Mix 1/2 tsp kalonji oil mixed in coffee before each meal 2 times a day.
- Headache And Earache
Apply black seed oil on the forehead, sides and back of the ears. Bandage the forehead lightly and also tale 1/2 tsp of kalonji oil twice a day for 3 days.
- Weak Eyesight
Mix 1/2 tsp kalonji oil in a cup of carrot juice before each meal and drink two times daily for 3 to 6 months.
Mox 1/2 tsp of kalonji oil and fresh ginger juice and take twice a day.
- Tension And Stress
Mix 1/2 tsp of kalonji oil in a cup of tea before meals 2 times a day to calm the nerves and relieve tension.
- Improve Memory
Mix 1/2 tsp of kalonji oil mixed with 10 grams of boiled mint before meals 2 times daily for about a month.
- Acidity, Indigestion, Stomach Ache
Take 1 tsp of kalonji oil mixed in a cup of milk for 5 days, twice a day.
- Restful Night Sleep
Mix 1/2 tsp kalonji oil in any hot beverage at bedtime to get good sleep.
Mix 1/2 tsp kalonji oil in a cup of black tea before breakfast and after dinner daily.
- Burning Sensation
Mix 1/2 tsp kalonji juice in a cup of sweet lime juice (mosambi juice) and drink in the morning before breakfast and at night after dinner for about 7 to 10 days.
- Burning Sensation In Urine
Mix 1/2 tsp kalonji oil and 10 ml of honey in a glass (250 ml) of milk and take 2 times a day.
Mix 1/2 tsp of kalonji oil and 1 tsp of honey in warm water. Drink twice a day for 40 days and avoid cold things.
- Kalonji oil normalizes the secretions of the stomach and pancreas and therefore is useful in the treatment of diabetes.
- Kidney & Bladder Stones
- Consume 1/2 tsp of kalonji oil with a tsp of honey daily two times a day. It removes these stones. OR
- Grind 250 grams of kalonji seeds and mix with 250 grams of honey. Take 2 tsp of this mixture in 1/2 cup of water daily before breakfast. Also, take 1/2 tsp of kalonji oil daily.
- Inflammation And Pain of Gums and Teeth
Boil kalonji seeds in vinegar and apply on the gums and teeth.
- Backache and Muscle Pain
Warm some kalonji oil and massage on the affected area. Also, consume 1/2 tsp of this oil once a day.
Add 1/2 tsp of black seed oil to any fruit and drink.
Mix 1/2 tsp black seed oil in a cup of yoghurt and take twice a day for 3 days.
- Asthma & Cough
Massage the chest with black seed oil. Also drink 1/2 tsp black seed oil 2 times a day, morning and evening, in cup water mixed with a tsp of honey. Inhale the vapours of the oil after mixing 1 tsp of the oil in boiling water.
- High Cholesterol
Mix 1/2 tsp Kalonji Oil in hot milk and drink daily in the morning only. It dissolves fats and dilates veins and arteries.
Mix 200 grams of ground kalonji seeds with 50 ml olive oil and 50 ml of black seed or kalonji oil. Add 200 grams of honey to this. Mix well. Take 1 tsp of this mixture after each meal for a cure.
Put 1 drop of kalonji oil in the nostril on the opposite side of the headache. Also, massage the head with this oil. Drink 10 drops of kalonji oil mixed in 1 tsp of honey also.
- Loss of Hair & Premature Grey Hair
Apply lemon, leave it for 15 minutes. Wash and shampoo the hair and dry them completely. Now apply Kalonji oil to the scalp.
Continue this routine for a week. This will stop the loss of hair completely. Use continuously for one month
Kalonji Oil stops falling of hair and prevents premature greying of hair. It gives hair life and makes them manageable.
- To Increase Mother's Milk
Take 1 cup of milk and add 2 drops of kalonji oil. Mix and drink twice a day, before breakfast and at bedtime.
- Backache And Rheumatic Pains
Mix 1/2 tsp kalonji oil, 1 tsp of vinegar and a tablespoon of honey and take this mixture in the morning before breakfast and at night after dinner. Do this for 40 days.
Mix half tsp of kalonji oil with warm water and gargle. Apply oil on the affected tooth also. It will alleviate pain promptly.
To one cup of black tea add 1/2 tsp of kalonji oil. Drink twice a day, in the morning and at bedtime.
Avoid fried foods, oily foods, Continue your allopathic medicines.
After 20 days check blood sugar. If normal continue kalonji treatment and stop allopathic treatment. After 40 days, sweets can be taken to check your sugar level. If it is normal, stop the treatment.
Mix 1/2 tsp of kalonji oil in a cup of Black Tea and drink in the morning before breakfast and at
night after dinner. Continue the treatment till sugar level becomes normal
- General Weakness & Lethargy
Add 1/2 tsp of kalonji oil to a cup orange juice in the morning and take for ten days
- Liver & Abdomen Diseases
To 200 ml honey add 1/2 tsp kalonji oil. Mix well. Drink 1/2 of this in the morning and the other half in the evening. Continue for a month. Avoid tamarind or imli or items made with it.
- Leucorrhea, Amenorrhea and PMS
Take 1 gram dried mint leaves and boil in 2 glasses of water till one cup of water is left. Add 1/2 tsp kalonji oil and take on an empty stomach in the morning and at night.
Continue the treatment for 40 days.
Mix 1/2 tsp of kalonji oil and 1 tbsp of honey in lukewarm water and drink in the morning
before breakfast and at night after dinner.
Mix 50 ml Nigella sativa oil with 60 ml lemon juice and apply on the affected area.
- General Well Being
Take 1/2 tsp of black seed oil daily with pure honey two times a day.
Mix 1/2 tsp of black seed oil with tea in the morning and then at night. Take twice a day.
Thymoquinone and dithymoquinoline in kalonji have antitumor and anticancer properties. Black seed oil a serious contender as a cancer remedy and also prevents the side effects of chemotherapy and improves the immune system.
- To 1 glass of grapefruit juice add 1/2 tsp kalonji oil and drink 3 times daily. Once, before breakfast and then after lunch and lastly after dinner.
- Also, mix 1 kg barley flour in 2 kg wheat flour and make Indian roti or bread. Tale this for 40 days.
Avoid potatoes, colocasia and eggplant.
- Swelling On Any Part Of The Body
Warm a small quantity of black seed oil. apply and massage on the affected spot. Also, consume 1/2 tsp kalonji oil twice a day.
How To Use Kalonji, Black Seed, Nigella sativa Seeds
Kalonji is used to make pickles and also used in foods like dal, naan, breads, vegetables, meat dishes, etc.
- A tsp of these can be taken once or twice a day as a dietary supplement
- The oil can be taken @ 500 mg of the oil twice a day. It can be mixed in any cold liquid or yoghurt. It can be applied topically in joint pains, arthritis or skin infections like eczema, psoriasis or infections of the scalp.
- The seeds can be mixed with any food and consumed or can be used as spice and vegetarian or meat dishes.
Side Effects Of Kalonji
Kalonji is a very safe herb when taken in the right dose. Use regularly for deriving the full benefits.
When taken in diabetes, the blood sugar levels should be closely monitored as kalonji lowers blood sugar levels.
Though it does not have any side effects in pregnancy it should not be taken by pregnant women whose wombs are sensitive.
Food For Thought
Kalonji or black seed can be taken by normal healthy persons too. One does not need to be sick to take it. Because of environmental pollution, suspect food and water quality, intake of processed foods and many other factors our body produces free radicals constantly.
Regular intake of black seeds will benefit by destroying these free radicals.
Kalonji oil and seeds are equally good but the oil is preferred over seeds as it is 35-40% more potent and is also more convenient to use.
Kindly Rate The Hub. Thanks!
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Some Of My Other Hubs On Healthy Foods
- The Nutritional And Health Benefits Of Pears
Pears are said to be The gift of the Gods. Learn about the many interesting facts, nutritional and health benefits of pears, by reading on..
- Passion Fruit - Nutrition And Health Benefits
Passion fruit is an exotic tropical fruit that has many benefits. Learn about some very important nutrient, nutritional and health benefits of passion fruit by reading on...
- The Indian Paan - A Traditional Indian Mouth Freshener And Digestive
Paan is a digestive and mouth freshener that has been used traditionally in India since ancient times. Learn more about this veritable treat for the palate which also has some health benefits...
- The Health Benefits Of Sweetsop, Sugar Apple, Custard Apple Or Sitaphal
Sugar Apple, Custard apple or Sitaphal is a sweet pulpy fruit with a hard many sectioned protuberant rind. Learn about the many health benefits this aromatic fruit, also called bullock's heart, offers...
- 2 Types Of Salts - Sendha Namak (Rock Salt) And Kala Namak (Black Salt) And Their Health Benefits
There are different types of salts available in the market. Read about 2 of these types of salt that are healthy for us-sendha namak or rock salt and kala namak or black salt and their health benefits...
- Bathua, Lambs Quarters Or Chenopodium album - Nutrition And Health Benefits
Bathua, lambs quarters or white goosefoot is a weed that is detested by crop cultivators but is a source of many nutrients and provides many health benefits. Learn about the various health benefits of bathua by reading on...
Kalonji baingan recipe
Potato with Kalonji seeds recipe
Nigella Sativa - The Missing Link to Reverse AIDs or Cancer? - Fitnesential
Kalonji Oil -- Medicinal Value Of Kalonji Oil
Black Seed A Cure for Every Disease-Islam miracles
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2013 Rajan Singh Jolly
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on March 22, 2020:
Yes, Peggy, thanks to the internet we have so many resources to learn from. I am fine and hope you and your family stay safe as well. Many thanks.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on March 21, 2020:
It is incredible what can be learned online. I have never even heard of black seed. Thanks for this information. I hope you are staying safe with this pandemic raging across the world right now. Take care!
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on November 11, 2015:
you can tale 1/2 tsp of kalonji in milk daily. Grind them first. I myself take 1/2 tsp of kalonji everyday.
Afshan on October 31, 2015:
Thanks alot Rajan for the effort..loved the article. Would like to ask, rather than oil how can we take seeds in our daily diet? Mom sent me a box of kalonji seed from India..excited after reading the article.
Robert Morgan from Hutchinson Island, FL - Myrtle Beach, SC - Gilbert AZ on May 26, 2015:
I hope your article help others to see the benefits of kalonji and that it has a place in helping them overcome many illnesses.
Mrs ahmed on April 07, 2015:
Hi..my children aged 12 , 9, 6 an 7 mth yr old have eczema. I've tried everything possible. I've come across black seed oil which has some positive results.
Could you plz tell me right dosage for children aged above an how to apply if it needs mixing with some thing else.
I would appreciate a reply.
SANJOG MAHESHWARI from NEW DELHI, INDIA on April 04, 2015:
Sounds extremely useful, Rajan. Thanks for sharing the vital information about health benefits of Kalonji.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on March 25, 2015:
@Harshini, glad you found the information useful and thanks for sharing your personal experience. Thanks for reading.
@shakira, thank you for appreciating.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on March 25, 2015:
@mvaivata thanks for stopping by and am glad you appreciate the information. Blessings!
mvaivata on March 24, 2015:
This is a truly thorough and interesting Hub. I'll have to look into this further, as it sounds pretty promising. Thank you!
shakira on February 27, 2015:
Very true. Kanji is indeed a miracle of the creator. N a Gud site that very well sows the benefits of it. Gud effort.
Harshini on February 23, 2015:
Hi Rajan Jolly,
Thank u for giving detailed info. About Kalonji amaging experience
Used for cold excellent experience
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on December 15, 2014:
Plants are meant for humans universally. There are umpteen scientific references of the health benefits of the seeds of Nigella sativa which you must have seen given here.
Thanks for reading this article and appreciating, Rashid.
rashid on December 15, 2014:
I am proud that you too have seen the benefits of kalonji which the prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) that it's a cure for all disease except death which he said approx 1400 years ago
would like to polite ask u to read more about his mission of life.
No complusion or whatsoever
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on September 13, 2014:
@vidhya you can buy kalonji oil from ebay or Amazon safely without fear of it being fake.
@balvir singh , thank yo.
balvir singh bhachu on August 28, 2014:
vidhya on August 26, 2014:
i want to know where i can buy Kalunji Oil. Could find some in ebay, but how will i know if they are selling me the right one. is there any specific aroma that i can differentiate the oil from a fake one?
if you know any place or store where i can find it, please share
Santosh Wani on July 25, 2014:
Really ,This black seeds are amaizing, helpful to control blood suger, highly effective unani medicine, its very helpful
raj on July 09, 2014:
I am surprised by the knowing uses of kalonji. I like explanation about kalonji.I have grey hairs and I am 18 years old can my hair get black with the use of kalonji.
NAGAVENI on June 30, 2014:
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE VERY USEFUL INFORMATION OF THE KALONJI WITH SO MANY HEALTH T BENEFITS , GOD BLESS YOU.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on May 21, 2014:
Mahesh, a guide to taking kalonji for diabetic people has been given in this article though I would suggest that a doctor be consulted in this regard as well.
I'm glad you like information on health which my articles provide.
Thank you for reading.
Mahesh vora on May 19, 2014:
I am really surprised by the fact that a person in india is giving information i such detail, that thereafter you do not have to go for searching further information . Good I enjoyed reading on Kalonji,Hast Mudra etc. I have saved all your information pages.By the way, Diabetes patient , can take Kalonji ? in which form ? How do I take everyday ? meaning which form ? powder or oil ?
Thanks for valuable information.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on June 05, 2013:
@moonlake-thanks for reading and sharing. It's good to share info that is useful.
@seanorjohn-thanks for the read and votes.
seanorjohn on June 04, 2013:
these nigella seeds sound truly amazing. You have done a brilliant research job. Great that you explain the dosage and how to mix it with honey etc. Well deserved 5 stars.
moonlake from America on June 04, 2013:
Very interesting hub I have never heard of this seed. You always have so much good information. Voted up and shared.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on May 26, 2013:
GTF, glad you have this info which you could use if needed. Appreciate your reading the hub!
Claudia Mitchell on May 26, 2013:
Not only are the health benefits interesting for these seeds, the history is fascinating. I had never heard of Nigella seeds before your hub. Thanks.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on May 20, 2013:
@HO-kalonji does have an amazing, nay almost endless, array of health benefits, Joe; the most I've yet come across in any food. Nature's bounties are limitless and it's only our mind that sets boundaries to our knowledge and the use of it.
I particularly enjoy your interesting, thoughtful and enlightening comments and you always make my day with your esteemed presence here, my friend.
It's always good to see you enjoy my hubs. Aloha and have a wonderful week ahead!
@Carol-your comments are spot on and I can't agree more! good to see you and thanks for the pinning.
@FlourishAnyway-well, I do hope you give it a shot ans see the benefits. Good luck!
@Bill-ah, my friend! Your comments so make my day! So very kind of you.
@livingsta-yes these seeds seem magical in their unending list of benefits. Thanks for coming by and sharing.
@MsDora-of course, the oil is easier to use than the seeds. Thanks for the comments and visit.
Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on May 20, 2013:
Thanks for another great article. I guess that in these parts it may be easier to obtain the oil than the seed. I am not familiar with any of the names-correct or incorrect. Thanks for introducing the black seed.
livingsta from United Kingdom on May 19, 2013:
I have not heard of these seeds or seen them Rajan. They seem to be an all-rounder when it comes to health. Thank you for sharing this information with us. Voted up and sharing.
Bill Holland from Olympia, WA on May 19, 2013:
Never heard of it. What a big world we live in, but it is made smaller by the information you pass on to all of us. Well done. Your research is so detailed....well done my friend.
FlourishAnyway from USA on May 19, 2013:
Nigella sativa - It's amazing that this little seed can be an antioxidant, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, and help conditions ranging from asthma to hypertension to rheumatism! As someone with MS, I think its anti-inflammatory properties are certainly worth a try! Wonderful hub!
carol stanley from Arizona on May 19, 2013:
It is pretty amazing to me that we can get all the nutrition we need from food if it is grown properly without additives. Very interesting as always. Voting up and pinning.
Hawaiian Odysseus from Southeast Washington state on May 19, 2013:
Good morning, Rajan! Just got up, and yours is the very first Hub I'm reading today. Wow! This is indeed a new food item for me. I have never heard of this seed, nor do I recall anything like it while growing up in Hawai'i. At first, it reminded me of papaya seeds. Thank you for enlightening me. I am amazed at the vast potential for healing all kinds of maladies through supplementing one's diet with this item. Very interesting! Aloha and blessings to you, my friend! Have a wonderful week!