I hold my degree in pharmacy, as well as a background, and training in the use of supplements.
Dr. Richard Becker- Olive Leaf
Home Remedies for Allergy, Virus, Colds, Flu, Asthma, and Sinusitis. With ways To Boost Immunity. New information about swine flu, and COVID
I have been mother for 27 years. I have been faced with many hurdles. One of my dilemmas: is it a cold, or allergy? Should I take my child to the doctor, or am I just overreacting? No child comes with an instruction booklet. Each child, even within a single family, are very different. As a mother, you know when something is wrong. Trust your instincts.
What I have found to be true:
1. If Mucus is green or yellow- its an infection. Usually will run a fever.
2. If Mucus is clear: allergy, or cold, which is viral, and no antibiotic will help. Usually no fever present.
3. Red, and raw throat. Green, or white patches, and a fever. Strep throat, call the doctor. Both of my sons were plagued with it, due to chronic allergies. A constant post nasal drip, is a contributing factor.
The first line of defense, to boost immunity, is getting enough sleep. Doctors recommend 6-8 hours of sleep a night.
Eating plenty of fresh fruits, and vegetables, drinking plenty of water. Dehydration is a common denominator in many conditions. Eight glasses, of 8 ounces of water daily throughout the day, is the average suggested amount. 1/2 an ounce of water for every pound of weight. Example a 100 pound person, would require 50 ounces a day, to remain hydrated.
Washing hands often, not touching your nose, eyes, or mouth, are also recommended. The eyes, nose, and mouth are the entrance points of infection, no matter the cause. When you are ill, dispose of kleenex, don't use over, and over. Cough, or sneeze, in the crook of your elbow, not your hand. Use Hand sanitizer, when water isn't available.
There are many natural treatments that really do help: take at the first sign of a cold, sore throat, or cough.
1. Chicken soup. Your grandmother was right. It actually kills viruses, in the throat.
2. Coldeez, zinc lozenges. Zinc kills viral infections in the throat. Suck on one every 3-4 hours. Zinc also increases immunity. Do not exceed 100mg of zinc per day, and do not take longer than 5 days. I keep them on hand in the medicine cabinet.
The following herbs kill fungus, viral, and bacterial infections effectively, without an antibiotic.
3. Oil of oregano, 150mg. Found at any health food store. I prefer to use Natures Answer in capsule form. As the others are way to strong for me, and my younger son. Take a straight pin, and punch a whole in the capsule, for children under 12, rub on the front of their shins. For adults, and children over 12, 1 drop under the tongue, 2-3 times per day. Both sights of application are directly into the blood stream. Great for chronic sinus infections, and bacterial infection. Green, or yellow mucus, means bacterial infection, usually a fever is present as well.
Sinus sprays A very effective sinus spray, is a combination of grapefruit seed extract, and olive leaf extract. Mix one drop of grapefruit seed extract, 1-2 drops of olive leaf extract, in an ounce of water. Place in a small, nasal spray bottle. One to two sprays, per nostril, up to three times a day. This preparation will kill viruses, bacteria, and fungus in the sinuses, usually where an upper respiratory infection starts. Available now already mixed, through amazon. Seagate sinus cleanse.
Do not use more than one drop of grapefruit seed extract, it is very strong. Most over the counter nasal sprays, can only be used up to 5 days. If you use for longer than that, you may get rebound congestion, or you can actually become dependant on it. Meaning, your nose will not quit running. This particular combination can be used for as long as needed. It may also be used during the allergy season, very effective as a sinus cleanser. It removes the offending allergen, as it kills any virus, or bacteria you may have at the time.
This combination may also be taken orally, 1-2 drops of olive leaf, 1 drop of grapefruit seed extract, in 1 ounce of water up to 3-4 times per day. A word of caution, if you take any prescription, or over the counter medication, grape fruit can interact with those medications. Grapefruit can, and has increased the strength of drugs. Thereby increasing the chance of overdose. Before eating, or using grapefruit, check for an interaction on Drugs.com. This is a website, with extensive data, on many drugs, supplements, and interactions. A pharmacist is also a good point of reference, if you have any questions concerning medications, and interactions. Always check before starting any supplement.
Another sinus cleanse is salt water. Place a pinch of salt in the cup of your hand, fill the rest of your hand with warm water, close one nostril, sniff with the other, then blow. It will remove the infection, and clear out the sinuses at the same time, nasty, but effective. I had been plagued with sinus infections for years, I haven't had a problem since using the grape fruit seed, and olive leaf sinus cleanse.
4. Olive leaf extract, has also been proven to kill viral infections, but not as effective against bacteria. 1 drop, under the tongue, three times a day, in liquid form. Olive leaf is also available in capsule form. One 500mg capsule, by mouth, three times a day. If diarrhea develops, cut the dose in half. I prefer liquid form, as Olive leaf can be used topically in many applications.
5. Vicks vapor rub. If it is just a runny nose, put vicks vapor rub on a q-tip. Place the q-tip just at the point where the cartilage is, do not sniff at the same time. This also kills viruses, right where they start. In the sinuses. If a cough is present, Vicks can be applied to the chest, a proven expectorant. If you are allergic to menthol, do not use, nor on an infant. Test on the wrist first, to check for allergy, if the area becomes itchy, or red do not use.
6. Toothbrushes Replace toothbrushes, or soak them in peroxide, during the cold, and flu season. As you may be reinfecting yourself, and why a cold seems to hang on forever. Fill a 4 ounce cup, about a fourth of a cup of solution, put toothbrushes in solution, making sure to cover bristles. Peroxide is an anti infective, may also be used as a mouth rinse, and gargle. Swish, or gargle, about 2 ounces, and spit out. Do not swallow. Grapefruit seed extract can also be used in the same way, as a mouth rinse, toothbrush soak, or gargle. Three drops in one ounce of water. Grapefruit seed extract is antiviral, antibiotic, and antifungal herbal preparation. Do not use full strength, it must Always be diluted with water, do not swallow.
7. Ear infections I was plagued by them as a child. Warm onion juice in each ear. Sounds strange I know, but it really works. Quarter a peeled, yellow onion. Squeeze each section until you fill a spoon with the juice. Warm with a lighter underneath, make sure to test so as not too hot, pour into infected ear before bedtime. When you lay down at night, it causes pressure on the inner ear, this is when it hurts the most. Gravity can be a bad thing, especially when you are trying to rest. Olive oil, or sweet oil can be used for pain, but will do nothing for the infection. Onion is very effective, and does not become resistant to bacteria. I have been using this antidote for 49 years, on myself, and my two children, with no ill effects.
Most of the current antibiotics, have become resistant to bacteria over the years. Most are 3rd generation drugs, which have become so strong, that they cause terrible side affects. Cipro, and Levaquin, both have black box warnings on them, for their side effects. (Drugs.com) The over use of antibiotics has resulted in super bugs, resistant to current therapies. Do not misunderstand, all medication is in essence, a good thing. Only if used appropriately. At times it is completely necessary, but only when all else fails. Do not combine herbal anti infective supplements with antibiotics, an interaction can occur. This includes garlic in supplement form, a very common anti infective.
8. Elderberry Liquid. For a cough, 1 teaspoon, every 4-6 hours is the recommended amount. Taken at the first sign of a cough developing. Also increases immunity.
Thyme, a common spice, is an expectorant, belonging to the mint family. Thyme will relieve a cough, and help to break up mucus. Which is why, many cold remedies contain mint. Mix one teaspoon of the dry herb, with one cup hot water. Sip slowly before bedtime. Found in the spice section of any grocery store.
9. Oscillococcinum A very effective homeopathic, natural treatment for immunity, and the flu. Must be taken at the first sign of a cold, or flu to be affective. Shortens, and minimizes the duration of the illness. Therefore, you should keep it on hand, along with zinc lozenges.
10. Immunity For increased immunity, thereby decreasing the amount of colds, and flu that you get in a given season. Take 1 multivitamin a day, containing D3, & zinc. Chewable Vitafusion, Lil Critters, and Flinestone's Complete vitamins are a good choice, as hard pills, you do not utilize. A liquid, or gummy form are the preferred choice. Do not take a multivitamin with Iron, unless your doctor prescribes it. It should be taken separately, iron feeds infection. Our bodies hide iron from infection as a defense, so by taking a multivitamin with iron we are only feeding that cold.
Vitamin D3 can also be taken in capsule, and liquid forms, 400 IU, and as much as 3000 IU, have been recommended. Living in the northern regions, we do not receive enough sunlight, D3, to boost our immunity. It is recommended, that you take at least 1000 IU daily, for a child reduce the dose, by 1/2, to obtain the best results. Sunlight is converted into D3, when it hits our skin, and the older we get, the harder it is to convert. Also, if we never go out side, we are not likely to receive enough. Never take more than 3000 IU of D3, you can become toxic. Nor, should you take D3, without a calcium supplement. The recommended amount of calcium is 1000 mg. daily, taken at bedtime. It will aide sleep, leg cramps, and prevent osteo. Fairly inexpensive.
11. Antihistamine Another supplement for colds, allergies, and sinus infections is QBC. A natural anti histamine, without drowsiness. Quercetin Bromelain Complex. Quercetin is found in Apples. Bromelain is found in pineapple. Bromelain has anti-inflammatory properties, much like pseudoephedrine, and other decongestants. Recommended dosage is 500mg, 1-3 times per day. The supplement must contain vitamin c, and magnesium to be affective. Very hard to find. Douglas labs produces one that contains all the necessary nutrients. With no side effects. Pseudoephedrine can cause jitters, nervousness, and irritability, in susceptible people.
Common sense practices, such as sleep, and nutrition will keep the illnesses at bay. Prevention is the best defense against illness.
All of the proceeding information was found in the following books:
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, at Amazon.com, or the Vitamin Shoppe.
Foundations for Healing, Dr. Richard Becker, Bioinnovations.net, and his tv program: Your Health.
Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum. Vitality101.com, From Fatigued To Fantastic.
Beating Cancer with Nutrition, Dr. Patrick Quillin
Pub med, and Medline plus.
My training in pharmacy.
How Grapefruit Can Cause Overdose
Dr. Richard Becker- Oil of Oregano
Products for the treatment, and prevention of Virus, bacteria, and fungus
New treatment for allergy suffers
This is a new treatment for allergy suffers. It works along the same lines as immunology, without the needles. A sublingual form of known allergies. 15 drops under the tongue, until your immune system quits overreacting to the allergen. You may take your regular allergy medicine along with this, with time the reaction will lesson. Immunology is basically "the hair of the dog that bit you". An immunologist can test for allergies, through skin tests, for common allergic reactions, such as food, or airborne, but not chemicals. If your allergies are affecting your daily life, with no relief, seek the help of a specialist.
New Treatment for allergy suffers, the basis of allergy shots, by an immunologist
New Information for Asthma Sufferers
Magnesium has been shown as a "rescue" for asthma sufferers. The recommended amount is 250mg at the first sign of an attack. Chew a tablet, and relief has been noted within 15 minutes. This will not replace an inhaler, but will help with wheezing, and lesson the attack. A daily multi, with D3 and zinc, extra magnesium, and a krill oil capsule, 2 times a day. This regimen has been shown in numerous studies, to lesson the attack, and the number of attacks in cases of asthma. The only side affect of magnesium is loose stools, reduce the dose if this occurs. Krill oil is an omega three fatty acid, that contains a balanced 3,6,9 combination. Whereas fish oil only contains an omega 3. Omegas have been extensively studied, and found to be beneficial in the treatment of asthma.
New information about Beta Glucans and Immunity
J Hematol Oncol. 2009 Jun 10;2:25.
The effects of beta-glucan on human immune and cancer cells.
Chan GC, Chan WK, Sze DM.
Department of Paediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. firstname.lastname@example.org
Non-prescriptional use of medicinal herbs among cancer patients is common around the world. The alleged anti-cancer effects of most herbal extracts are mainly based on studies derived from in vitro or in vivo animal experiments. The current information suggests that these herbal extracts exert their biological effect either through cytotoxic or immunomodulatory mechanisms. One of the active compounds responsible for the immune effects of herbal products is in the form of complex polysaccharides known as beta-glucans. beta-glucans are ubiquitously found in both bacterial or fungal cell walls and have been implicated in the initiation of anti-microbial immune response. Based on in vitro studies, beta-glucans act on severalimmune receptors including Dectin-1, complement receptor (CR3) and TLR-2/6 and trigger a group of immune cells including macrophages, neutrophils, monocytes, natural killer cells and dendritic cells. As a consequence, both innate and adaptive response can be modulated by beta-glucans and they can also enhance opsonic and non-opsonic phagocytosis.
FDA issues New warnings in the use of Quinolones a Common Antibiotic
Levaquin, all Quinilones, including Cipro:
Serious and Otherwise Important Adverse Reactions
Exacerbation of Myasthenia Gravis
Other Serious and Sometimes Fatal Reactions
Hepatotoxicity [see Warnings and Precautions
Central Nervous System Effects
Clostridium difficile-Associated Diarrhea
Prolongation of the QT Interval
Musculoskeletal Disorders in Pediatric Patients
Blood Glucose Disturbances
Development of Drug Resistant Bacteria
Information obtained through FDA Medwatch.
Corona Virus Study Completed In 2013
The Treatment of Influenza and Acute Respiratory Viral Infections] - PubMed
Reference to Anti virals.
Umifenovir active against respiratory viruses such as rhinovirus, adenovirus, influenza virus, parainfluenza, respiratory syncytial virus, coronavirus, including the causative agent of atypical pneumonia. There are a large number of studies that have shown clinical efficiency of umifenovir. In clinical studies of prophylactic and therapeutic efficiency of umifenovir attended by 12400 and 14000 persons relatively.
Article published 2013 by national institutes of health.
if we have this knowledge why don't we use it?
I understand everyone's fear. The key in this is early interventions, contact your doctor if you show signs of infection. The key symptom is Fever. Others include a dry cough, difficulty breathing, headache, and fatigue. Checking temperature daily is a good idea, especially if you have these symptoms.
We fear what we don't understand. Knowledge, and truth give you the power to overcome.
The substance that was studied in the 2013 trial, and mentioned in this article about Corona Virus
The Products I keep on hand, for Allergies, Colds, Viruses, and Flu season
Since contracting Lupus, I have utilized many of the supplements, and protocols mentioned in my articles. Start with a good foundation. A good multi vitamin, no iron, D3, B12, and an Omega 3 fatty acid. Choose either a gummy, capsule, liquid, or quick dissolve formula. Hard pressed pills, aren't utilized as effectively. Improve diet, exercise, drinking plenty of filtered water, and fresh air are a solid foundation to maintain, or improve health.
Music, Creativity, Art, and Aroma are also very healing. Creativity includes cooking. Trying new recipes, new Flavors, reading, aroma, rewarding the senses, and mind.
15 minutes a day of music, improves moods, and restores mental health. Most effective was Upbeat, and positive, as well as Jazz. Proven by science.
Add one supplement for a specific disease, or condition. If there is a reaction, discontinue use. The last supplement that was added, will be the culprit of the reaction. Always check for interactions, and side affects before starting any supplement, or therapy.
**** I am not a physician, this is only recommendations from holistic doctors. All have been used with good results. It is best to consult a pharmacist, or physician concerning your health.***
Check for interactions, and side affects of Prescription drugs, before starting any supplement, or therapy
- Drugs.com | Prescription Drug Information, Interactions & Side Effects
Prescription drug information and news for professionals and consumers. Search our drug database for comprehensive prescription and patient information on 24,000 drugs online.
Where to report any adverse reactions to medications
New Information on Monkey Pox
Monkey pox is a rare disease that is caused by infection with the monkey pox virus. Monkey pox virus belongs to the Orthopoxvirus genus which includes the variola (smallpox) virus as well as the vaccinia virus, which is used in the smallpox vaccine. 4 days ago
Many of the same drugs, already manufactured, will be used in the treatment of this disease. If you are at high risk, a vaccine is recommended. If you have the vaccine scar, as I do, you are protected.
Many of the supplements listed are anti viral, but have yet to be proven as affective. Monkey pox is spread by skin to skin contact, with an infected person. To see if it is in your area John Hopkins University has a interactive map for contagious diseases, as well as the CDC.
Boosting your immunity is the best defense, and protection from illness. Getting the vaccine, if you haven't already is also a good idea.
Monkeypox - California Department of Public Health - CA.gov
Vaccine Scar for Small Pox, Monkey Pox
New Information on Monkey Pox
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
As the nation’s health protection agency, CDC saves lives and protects people from health, safety, and security threats.
Rate this Article
All of My Articles on Health
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2012 Sherrie Gill
Sherrie Gill (author) from Hobart, In on April 29, 2013:
Thank you. i've been using these remedies for years. They truly help. The ones I use, and keep on hand are Oil of oregano, and zinc lozenges. When ever I feel that tickle in my throat, I reach for a zinc lozenge. If you catch a cold in its early stages, it won't have a chance to grab hold, and turn into something worse. With the side effects, and the fact that they have to keep making anti biotics stronger, and stronger, Naturals are a safer alternative.
Kevin Peter from Global Citizen on April 29, 2013:
Very interesting hub. The home remedies you have described in the hub sounds great. Since they have no side effects, I will try them the next time.
Sherrie Gill (author) from Hobart, In on March 14, 2013:
Thank you maximumfatloss. The most useful was QBC, and the homeopathic line of immunology agents. I knew from early scratch tests, when I was in kindergarten, which substances that I was allergic to. Mold, yeast, and dust. Immunology is still the most effective treatment for allergies, and asthma. Steroids, and antihistamines only treat the symptoms, but offer no benefit to the underlying cause.
Dr Abby Campbell from Charlotte, North Carolina on March 14, 2013:
Very, very useful hub, artist101. This hub comes at a good time for me. I've not suffered from seasonal allergies in years... until this year. I hate taking medication and am always looking for natural remedies. I am going to bookmark this hub. Thank you!
Sherrie Gill (author) from Hobart, In on November 02, 2012:
Thank you. I keep it, and zinc on hand at all times. At the first sign of sore throat, sneezing, or coughing I start on my regime. Knock on wood, I haven't had a serious illness in years, requiring an antibiotic.
MargaritaEden from Oregon on November 01, 2012:
Wonderful tips, oil of oregano is one of my favorite natural antibiotics, it does wonders.
Sherrie Gill (author) from Hobart, In on May 24, 2012:
Tried and true remedies used for over 10 years with no side effects.