Daydreaming is like a mini-vacation. It is a quick and healthy way to disconnect from reality. It provides instant relaxation for a few minutes. You can use it to generate new ideas, find answers to your questions, or spend your free time thinking about distant friends.
Let us discuss some of the benefits, shortcomings, and methods to overcome the habit of daydreaming.
Advantages of Daydreaming
Daydreaming can act as a stress buster. You can sit in a quiet place at a particular time of the day and start dreaming. It relieves stress after a long day’s work, a fight with a friend, or a sad life event. It makes your mind drift away from reality for a couple of moments and hence rejuvenates your senses. It sometimes also helps you to find a solution to a stress-causing problem.
Some of the positive effects of daydreaming are that it:
Provides Instant Relaxation
Daydreaming is like self-hypnosis. If you work on the same thing for a long time, your mind gets bored and stops focusing. It relaxes your mind for some time. You feel energized and do work with a refreshed mind.
Increases Focus and Boost Productivity
Spare a few minutes to daydream about a particular problem. You may come up with a variety of solutions to that problem. You may feel better and motivated. Your productivity increases and you can now complete your task more efficiently. Also, you can use it to prepare your task in advance. For example, if you have to deliver a speech you can imagine the way you will deliver your speech in your mind. It will help you prepare for the final event.
Connects you With People who are far Away
Daydream about spending time with your friends or loved ones who are far away. It creates a feeling of being still together. You may daydream about the time you have spent together or what will you do together when you meet. Though it is not the same as real life, it helps you remember special people in your life. It also helps you feel their presence and keep them alive in your memories.
Generates New and Creative Ideas
With daydreaming, you can come up with great ideas. Because when you fantasize, your mind travels through various parts of the brain. The information from your subconscious mind gets transferred to the conscious mind. This establishes a connection between them. These connections may give rise to innovative ideas.
Visualize Future and Achieve Goals
Visualization plays an important role in focusing and accomplishing your goals. Daydream about your ultimate goal or day to day task you want to achieve. Imagine how your life has changed after you have achieved your goal. It will help you to work for them at a faster rate.
Visualize Solutions for Future Conflict
You may practice organized daydreaming to manage conflict. You visualize various ways to deal with an existing fight or that might take place in the future. You imagine a particular situation and get ready in advance with solutions for various incidences that might occur.
For example, you may daydream about what you will do if a thief enters your house. You can visualize various possible methods to prepare yourself if such an incident takes place.
Disadvantages of Daydreaming
Daydreaming is not a serious issue. It is beneficial if done in moderation. But if practiced regularly, it will have a bad effect on your work and mood.
Let us discuss a few reasons for you to reduce daydreaming:
- If you daydream during working hours, you lose focus, slow down for a couple of minutes, and forget completing your tasks. You take more time to reach your goals.
- If you daydream about causing harm to yourself or others, it can prove harmful to your mental health.
- It is a waste of time. Time is limited. Do not waste your valuable active hours imagining things that do not happen in reality.
- It can lower the level of happiness as your imagination will not turn into reality. Excessive fantasizing makes you sad and depressed.
How to Overcome Excessive Daydreaming
- Mind tends to remain active. If you sit idle, it starts wandering. So, keep your mind busy. Plan your day to indulge in productive activities. It will prevent it from entering into an imaginary world.
- Sometimes, you dream about things you want to achieve. You visualize your achievements. Convert your dreams into an actionable plan to achieve your goals. Dreaming alone will not help you achieve your goals.
- Sometimes due to overwork, your mind gets into daydreaming. If you notice this kind of situation, then take a break from your work. It means your brain needs rest. Take short breaks during work, like, a short walk or quick 5-minute meditation. You can also plan a short trip to rejuvenate yourself.
Though daydreaming is a negative characteristic, it acts as a quick relaxation therapy. It relaxes your mind, boosts your productivity, helps you visualize and achieve your ultimate goals, makes you happy, and increases your problem-solving skills. It frees yourself and redirects your mind to positive thoughts.
Every single moment is precious. So make wise use of your time and do not depend entirely on daydreaming.
Have you experienced this joyride during your lifetime? Please share your experiences in the comments so that it can add value to our readers’ lives.
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2020 Preeti Shah