- "As a physical fact, death is easily understood. It is the departure of the life force from the body. What has animated a handful of earth, as it were, is gone. What is left is dross. Is that the end of man?" (M. V. Kamath, Philosophy of Life and Death)
- "If I think more about death than some other people, it is probably because I love life more than they do." (Angelina Jolie)
- "There's something about death that is comforting. The thought that you could die tomorrow frees you to appreciate your life now." (Angelina Jolie)
- "Dead turned out not to be dead." (A quote from an NDE report, Pim van Lommel)
- "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." (Dag Hammarskjöld)
- "Death and Love are the two wings that bear men from earth to Heaven." (Michael Angelo)
Inspirational Death Quotes
- "Death is birth into the realm of the spirit." (Mary T. Browne)
- "Death is nothing other than a different way of being with an enhanced and broadened consciousness, which is everywhere at once because it is no longer tied to a body."
(Pin Van Lommel, Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience)
- "Death happens every day but it is one of Life’s deepest mysteries." (Etan Boritzer, What is Death?)
- "There is a spring-time when the tender herb revives again and triumphs over the death of icy winter. And shall man alone, the noblest of all the works of the great Creator, know no spring-time, no joyful awakening from the icy hand of death?" (from Universalist Union, Volume 7)
- "With the near-death or clinical near-death phenomenon some people who are brought back from 'death' have reported being alive the entire time they were 'dead.' This phenomenon occurs among people with a wide diversity of religious belief and no religious belief at all – from atheists to Zen Buddhists." (John Ankerberg & John Weldon, Facts on Life After Death)
- "As long as death remains a topic of abstract discussion, we are all philosophers. We speak with great detachment of death as an inevitability and a certainty, we muse over its mystery and our anticipation of a life beyond this life. In offering victory over death in the form of an afterlife or superior rebirth, life itself came to be viewed as a preparation for death." (Paul Fairfield, Death and Life)
- "Though the universal experience known as death seems to negate the possibility of a limitless expression of the individual life, yet the mind clings blindly to its belief in immortality. This belief lies at the foundation of every religion – the idea of all religion being fundamentally one and the same, the attainment of conscious existence after death." (Delmar D. Bryant, Light of Life)
- "Death begins with ourselves. It is a part of our life, a part of who we are. Much as we try to keep them apart, death and life cannot be separated; they are completely interwoven. So the boundary between life and death is present at all time, not just when we grasp our last breath." (Judith L. Lief, Making Friends With Death)
Quote About Death From a Poem
"Children of Hope, to life we fondly cling,
Though woe on woe bitter hour may bring;
the spirit shrinks, and Nature dreads to brave,
The doubt, the gloom, the stillness of the grave.
But what is death? – a wing from earth to fee –
a bridge o’er time into eternity."
(Michell, in The Fear of Death Considered)
- "There is no death! Death is very much like sunset. It is only an appearance. For, when the sun sets here, it rises elsewhere. In reality, the sun never sets. Likewise, death is only an illusion, an appearance. For, what is death here is birth elsewhere. For life is endless." (J. P. Vaswani, Life After Death)
- "This is what happens to man in death. He puts off his overcoat, or what we call the physical, the gross body, and he is clothed in what, for the time being, I would call the astral body. The man continues to be the same, even as I would continue to be the same, if I took off this shawl. I would then appear to you in my shirt, but I would continue to be the same man." (J. P. Vaswani)
- "Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best, that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow." (Abraham Lincoln)
- "Death is the veil which those who live call life; they sleep and it is lifted." (Percy Bysshe Shelley)
- "Life after death is the elephant in the living room, the one that we are not supposed to notice." (Dinesh D’Souza, Life After death: The Evidence)
- "There is no death. It is only a transition to a different sphere of consciousness." (Movie quote about death: Tangina in Poltergeist)
"Death is better, a milder fate than tyranny." (Aeschylus)
- "Death – the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening." (Sir Walter Scott)
- "I fought, and therefore, believed in my victory. There is more to the fact that I didn’t fear death and preferred a brave death instead of a life of an idiot." (Giordano Bruno)
- "You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face." (Ian Fleming)
- "Don’t be afraid of death so much as an inadequate life." (Bertolt Brecht)
- "If you want to die happily, learn to live; if you would live happily, learn to die." (Celio Calcagnini)
Funny Quotes About Death
- "I remember an old saying "Freddy is ready, are you?" Freddy is the friendly undertaker. Freddy is always ready, and you better be." (William P. Ferry)
- "Misunderstanding may arise by confusing the Buddhist and scientific definitions of death. Within the scientific system you spoke quite validly of the death of the brain and the death of heart. Different parts of the body can die separately. However, in the Buddhist system, the word death is not used in that way. You’d never speak of the death of a particular part of the body, but rather of the death of an entire person. When people say that a certain person died, we don’t ask, "Well, which part died?"" (Dalai Lama, according to Jerome Engel et al., Sleeping, Dreaming and Dying)
- "Death is the great wrecking ball that destroys everything. Everything that we have done, everything that we are doing now, and all our plans for the future are completely and irrevocably destroyed when we die. Only teenagers live in that state of temporary insanity when they believe themselves immune from death." (Dinesh D’Souza, Life After death: The Evidence)
- "Our life is a loan received from death with sleep as the daily interest on this loan." (Arthur Schopenhauer)
- "Like sex in Victorian England, death must be spoken of – if at all – in hushed tones, not in the presence of children, only in specific contexts, and by appropriate personages." (Paul Fairfield, Death and Life)
- "Even when I was a child, I had the humorous idea that maybe we weren’t really alive at all. I mentioned to many of my playmates maybe we were dead and had gone to hell. While most didn’t know or care what I was saying, it seemed to make their parents vary upset." (Grant H. Pealer, Worlds Beyond Death)
- "There is always death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year." (Author Unknown)
- "Death is not the end. There remains the litigation over the estate." (Ambrose Bierce)
Proverbs on Death
- Good men must die, but death cannot kill their names.
- We come and cry and that is life, we come and cry and that is death.
- Death is a shadow that always follows the body. (English proverb)
- Death always comes too early or too late. (English proverb)
- Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back into the same box. (Italian proverb)
- The mode of death is sadder than death itself. (Latin proverb)
- There is a remedy for everything; it’s called death. (Portuguese proverb)
- "A thousand approaches lie open to death." (Seneca)
- "This must be my birthday there in paradise." (quote from a Japanese poem, Joseki)
More Death Quotes
- Those who hope for no other life are dead even for this. (Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe)
- "Death is a distant rumor to the young." (Andy Rooney)
- "And all the winds go sighing, for sweet things dying." (Christina Rossetti)
Inspirational depression quotes, funny depression quotes & celebrity depression quotes.
edz on January 01, 2015:
Good hub, I like
“Death is not the greatest lost in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live” Norman Cousins
Jasmine (author) on November 16, 2012:
I remember that one and I like it, too. My favorites are in this hub. Thank you for stopping by, James :)
James A Watkins from Chicago on November 16, 2012:
I enjoyed your fascinating Hub. It is well done. Thank you for the good read. My favorite quote on death comes from Woody Allen:
"I don't mind dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."
Jasmine (author) on September 06, 2012:
@joytruthlove: Thanks for the comment. I love the quotes, too.
joytruthlove on August 17, 2012:
loved your inspirational quotes
Jasmine (author) on July 10, 2012:
Thanks, KoffeeKlatch :) It's seems we all agree on the Top 1 death quote on the chart :)
Susan Hazelton from Northern New York on July 10, 2012:
I am a fan of the Vaswani (Life after death) quote. It's a beautiful thought about passing on. Beautiful site. Up and beautiful.
Jasmine (author) on July 10, 2012:
@jennzie: Yes, it's a powerful quote. There's something about it so mystical and so true at the same time. Thanks for stopping by :)
Jasmine (author) on July 10, 2012:
@Tammy: Oh, the Vaswani quote from Life After Death! Yes, it's a great quote. Sometimes I have a feeling that people start having awkward thoughts before even reading this hub because of "death" in the title lol But, the hub with this "death quotes" list is actually a very positive one. I'm glad you feel the same way.
Jenn from Pennsylvania on July 10, 2012:
Nice hub! I also especially liked the quote about comparing death to a sunset. Voted up.
Tammy from North Carolina on July 09, 2012:
This is an excellent hub about the "elephant in the room." No matter how close two people seem be, discussions on death just seem to be non-existant or awkward. It is sad that it is that way. I wonder what happens to our Hubpages when we kick the proverbial bucket. Hmm.. I loved this quote best: "There is no death! Death is very much like sunset. It is only an appearance. For, when the sun sets here, it rises elsewhere. In reality, the sun never sets." This is the closest to my own thoughts. Excellent hub!
Jasmine (author) on June 16, 2012:
I hope so, too :) Yes, it's a great quote - thank you for the comment!
Thelma Alberts from Germany on June 15, 2012:
Great hub! I like the, "Death always comes too early or too late." I hope mine will be too late as I enjoy life as it is. Thanks for sharing.
Jasmine (author) on May 18, 2012:
Yes, it's a good one :) And very true, indeed. Thanks for stopping by!
Angela Michelle Schultz from United States on May 17, 2012:
I like the one about death and taxes. Yes, death does not get worse every year. Hmmmm...