A Quick Aromatherapy 411
Aromatherapy is the use of scent to affect a person’s health or mood. Essential oils from plants and other scented plant compounds are the aromatic ingredients of aromatherapy.
While many people around the world have incorporated aromatherapy techniques into their conventional medical practices, people in the U.S. tend to use it more for its ability to affect their emotional state.
Ways You Can Use Aromatherapy to Create a Healthier Home
- In the Bath: Dilute 5 drops of lavender oil in 1 tablespoon of carrier oil, such as olive, almond, or coconut oil. Add to the bathwater. Lavender helps promote relaxation and sleep. Taking this bath before bed can help you and your kids sleep better.
- In the Air: A few drops of tea tree oil in an aromatherapy diffuser will help disinfect the air inside your house.
- At the Desk: Dab a few drops of peppermint oil on a cottonball and tape it under your desk chair. Peppermint helps increase alertness, so you can complete that homework or project without feeling drowsy. You can also place a peppermint cottonball under the seat of your car to help you remain alert while driving.
- In the Bedroom: Add a few drops of jasmine oil to water in a spray bottle to spray your pillow covers and sheets. Jasmine has a calming effect and helps you sleep.
- In the Dresser: Instead of stinky mothballs, store cottonballs with drops of lavender in your drawers to keep those moths away. Plus, your clothes will smell great.
Aromatherapy for Your Pets
Sprinkle a drop or two of lavender oil on your pet's bedding to calm the rambunctious or nervous fur ball.
Candles, Candles, Candles!
You can purchase aromatherapy candles for the different rooms in your house. They are simple to use and only require a bit of candle safety awareness.
You can put different scents in each room!
How do you use aromatherapy?
Res on August 27, 2013:
Hello, I just hopped over to your webgpae via StumbleUpon. Not somthing I would generally read, but I liked your thoughts none the less. Thanks for creating some thing well worth reading.
Ace on August 27, 2013:
Heather - Meg these are beautiful! I saw this on your faeocbok page and had to come look! then i realized i know this girl! she is SO great! what a wonderful idea! You are amazing. And Jaymie Looks stunning! Way to go!
carol stanley from Arizona on September 01, 2012:
Lovely..I love essental oils and keep lavender by very close. Makes you feel calm and peaceful. Thanks for sharing this great hub. Voted UP.
aromatherapy gift on July 08, 2010:
Great introduction in how to use aromatherapy.
preety girl on June 28, 2010:
I like Bamboo and green tea and have kept it in my living area and kitchen. It also takes away all the odours in the house. My products are all made in France.
Patty Inglish MS from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on September 20, 2007:
This is great infomration. I especially like to use tea tree oil, and never thought to add it to a diffuser. I'm going to do just that.
Isabella Snow on September 18, 2007:
Oooh... i love this hub!
Marye Audet on September 18, 2007:
I use rose otto and tangerine in my homemade cleaning products to give a wonderful scent but also to give a relaxed joyous feel to the household.. I think it works most of the time. :)