PS is a Leo-born mess always wondering to make the best of the day.
Thoughts are endless. They come by themselves and you can’t even control them. Even the pious of pious people suffer from negative thoughts at times, but they have succeeded in surpassing them. You can do that too.
Your thinking happens apart from your conscious awareness. It develops as per your life experiences, but a very few of it adds to your consciousness, rest goes into your subconscious level of mind.
Your actions are the results of your conscious and subconscious thoughts. The good thing is you can change your thoughts and improve your actions, thus modify your personal and professional lives.
Irrespective of what you do, it is important to know if your thinking perfectly complements your life. This is a point worthy of your consideration, yet it’s hardly discussed. It’s quite easy to ignore this statement because you think you are always right and if needed, you can change yourself to fit better in your life. But, does it really happen?
While you may decline to admit it, but the only thing that stops you from making a jump from your current state to a successful one, is you, yourself. Specifically, it is your thinking that obstructs your way.
To change your life circumstances, you only need to change your viewpoint. You must think anew and look at the world in a better way.
The way you -
- Present yourself to the world
- Experience the world
- Judges others’ life
- Response to their actions
All these are the outcomes of your thinking. Your thinking sets your conscious mindset.
Your mindset shapes your:
- Relationships with others
- Success in professional life
- Overall body language and everything else.
If you are not achieving the desired success, then it is high time to reflect on your thinking process as well as the behavior and learning approach. You need to go deeper to bring out the factors that affect your everyday actions.
Many times, employees complain about how they can’t achieve success in the organization due to other people’s actions. When they are brought alone to have a conservation, it is revealed that their major time goes in mulling over how other people treat them. It’s like their whole life depends on how others react to their actions. They completely neglect their own thoughts and thus, limit themselves, which is the actual reason for their failure.
Having a strong mindset is the most important asset you can ever have. You need to decide if your mindset is:
A. Rooted, conventional, and secretive (Fixed mindset)
B. Dynamic, radical, and communicative (Growth mindset)
Difference between Fixed and Growth mindsets
|Fixed mindset||Growth mindset|
I can accomplish only few things
I can accomplish anything if I try
Some things are so hard, it’s better to give up
Everything is possible, it’s better to keep trying and not give up
Challenges are not for me
Challegenes keep me alive
Negative feedback and criticism make me feel low
Negative feedback and criticism help me improve my actions
I only do those things that I am good at
I would never know what else I am good at until I try
Most of your issues occur due to your ‘A’ mindset because you have discarded the changes and thus, you misdiagnose the issues. Some other symptoms are:
- Poor leadership and management skills
- Tension in personal relationships
- Inability to adapt to changes
- Low confidence and effectiveness as an employee
- Lack of involvement in organizational activities.
If this is you, then you are not alone. The percentage of such people is more than 90% across the world. But a coin has two sides. If you want, you can turn the side of your coin (your mindset). All you need to do is put some solid conscious effort.
Your experiences automatically set your cognitive conclusions. They also shape your reaction to future affairs. These conclusions are not quite rational and often, ill-informed. But with time and environment, this becomes your basis of thinking. This may or may not serve your life well. That’s why it’s important to reflect back on your thoughts and the shaping of your mindset. They must reflect the type of person you, eventually, want to become.
Here are some suggestions to alter your way of thinking
Start with the thought that’s currently processing in your mind:
- Consider the smaller picture, then the bigger, then repeat: Let’s say you are thinking about starting a new business. Think deeply about what changes would you need to bring in your life to fulfill the needs of your business. Now, consider the bigger picture, how will it impact the society, how long will it take to form a large corporation, and so on. Every time you go deeper into your thoughts, you start to paint a clearer picture of your thoughts. Try it with what’s actually going in your mind right now.
- Evaluate your emotions at the moment: Everyone takes decisions based on the emotions they are, currently, feeling. Sadly, this may cause trouble when you feel different at another moment. Emotions are one of the greatest gifts given to us, but if not kept carefully, you may end up harming yourself. At least 95% of young people who are in their 20s or even younger face such issues. Their emotions are so strong that they fail to read what others are going through. You are not the only sufferer, be realistic. Instead of acting selfishly, try to note down a philosophical equation of your thoughts.
- Discuss with others and value their opinions: When you are overpowered with your thoughts and feel overwhelmed, it’s better to pour it out. The moment you start articulating it in front of your close friends or family, you also start analyzing your words. You’ll understand by yourself if they make any sense or not. Brainstorming is also a good option. If it looks fruitful, try to add others in your mix to dig deeper into your ongoing opinion.
- When your intuition says it’s right, it’s right indeed: Never ever strain yourself on something that your instincts believe in. Human beings have made their brain to look on concrete subjects, but not the abstract. Always remember, you are worth it more than you know. It’s better to follow your own beliefs and stick to your regime. The only time you must avoid doing something when it asks you to compromise substantially with valuable time and resources.
- Keep the mentality of a child: A child is never ashamed or tired of digging deeper. He/She tries to find out as much as they can to satisfy their mental needs. That’s why you’ll never see any child suffering from negative thoughts or mindset. The more info you gather, the more relaxed your thinking becomes.
- Go beyond what’s available to you: The online search tools like Wikipedia, Quora, Google, and others have become the solution for everything. But when you fail to find the answer here, you stop looking further. This negatively impacts your capability. You must try to go beyond what’s given to you. Do your own research, don’t rely on the Internet facts.
- Knowledge demands freedom: A negative mindset exists because of the stagnation of thoughts in your mind. When you learn and practice something, always try to learn a little more. If you feel that some questions can hit you hard into the wall of ignorance, then you haven’t done your best yet. Your knowledge needs freedom.
- Being a failure is amazing, accept it whole-heartedly: Failure is the best teacher. As long as you are ready to push yourself forward, you can learn great lessons by being a failure. Don’t get involved in negative thoughts because of your few downfalls. Rather, make yourself mentally ready for future challenges. Remember, you fail only when you have completely given up.
- Be creative and playful: Dance a little, brainstorm with others, sing out loud, play a game, and etc. Your playful side will help you loosen the constraints on your brain. Then your subconscious mind will help you handle the situation more easily and lightly.
- Pause for a while: Your brain is habitual of mulling over the stuff that’s already over. Let it stay this way for some time. Take a break for it to process the thoughts completely. Take a nap or do something totally different from what you are working on.
- Ego is the worst trash, throw it away: Ego is your worst enemy. It restricts you from exploring the unknown intellectual of your mind. You know you have ego issues when you fear to try something new because it’ll make you look stupid. It is important to drop your ego so you can grow mentally. Accept it you can’t be right every time. It’s fine, in fact great, to fail even at the time of certain success.
- Think about being beneficial to others: As a graphic designer, I want to produce work that impresses my audience, and then, they think nicely of me. But that’s absolutely wrong on my side. Because it’s not about me, it’s about them. My job is to serve them by delivering the content and certain messages in the most meaningful way possible. My job is to make their website usability easier. This way, I can redirect my energy and my mind expands. You are here to serve knowledge to others, not to win an argument. So, don’t let your ego make you self-centered and obnoxious.
- Get rid of distractions: Every time you let something useless distract you, you waste a substantial amount of energy. This makes you less and less focused on your work. For example, am I wearing nice clothes? Did they notice me? Do I have enough resources for my work? and so on. I usually have more than enough software on my laptop for graphic designing as well as different other resources. This ensures I don’t pause and get distracted while working. Assess the requirements for your work and gather the information beforehand. The best solution is to give 100% at the current moment.
- Figure out the flexible and inflexible part of your work: What part is permanent and can’t be replaced with anything new? What part is temporary enough to be replaced or boosted to its potential? Consider yourself as a dancer, who is trying to intermingle two different dance forms. What step can be improvised to make it look more appealing? What about mixing Hip Hop with Flamenco or any other cultural dance form?
- Try different ways to do the same thing: If you are writing, try drawing pictures instead. If you are speaking, try miming. Try to set your own rules and arbitrary constraints. Figure out in how many ways can you produce and enhance the creativity of your work.
- Take care of yourself: Do regular exercises and yoga as well as eating mindfully. Get a sound sleep. Your brain demands a healthy body to work. Your body is responsible for ensuring the perfect working of your brain, so love yourself first. Take care, rest everything comes next.
The main aim is to do everything you can to push yourself out of the closed metal doors. So, you can focus on your personal and professional lives with full zest.
Respect others for who they are
Everyone is unique in their own way. You can understand them only when you accept their unique qualities. It is about observation and not about comparing the quality of thinking. Instead of judging, you must perceive things the way they actually are.
You can see your face reflection in still water, but it’s difficult when the water has ripples. That’s why stability matters. Try to pacify your thoughts. Be an observer and let things fall into place as they should.
Being positive is everything that matters
How many times have you heard the phrase, ‘Be positive’? Almost every day because it’s really worth it. Remember, a glass is always half full not half empty.
- Always hope for positive outcomes.
- Various studies have proved that positive thoughts create space for positive things to happen.
- Positivity stimulates your subconscious mind to work along with your active mind and thus, come up with unique ideas.
- Positive thoughts prevent anxiety, imposter syndrome, depression, and all other negative afflictions.
- Introspect yourself when you receive negative comments from others and decide if they’re really worth it.
- Don’t frown, rather pay heed to the possible changes you can bring within yourself.
- Write down the negative thoughts you have for some people, then decide the ways to deal with them. This will help you drain your negative energy out of your body.
- Practice yoga, meditation, and other exercises to boost your optimism.
Your positive mindset will also prevent you from terrifying diseases like heart attacks, arthritis, cancer, and so on. Because you can more effectively manage your stress and decide what’s right for you.
“First Principle” by Aristotle
The notion of “First Principle”, devised by notable thinker Aristotle, has been in use for centuries by scientists, writers, inventors, and many other scholars. According to this notion, to better understand an idea, it is imperative to dissect it to its smallest part, which is verifiable. That smallest part is referred to as the first principle.
For example, there’s a fight going between two youngsters. One boy is quarrelsome and he wants to dominate over the other, but another one declines. This is a fact lying on the surface. The first thinkers will go deeper to understand the situation better. The first boy has troubling parents. His father always tries to dominate everyone including his mother and siblings. On the other hand, his mother always blames his father for every wrongdoing in the house. Looking at this scenario, the boy’s mind is full of conflicts and can’t decide what’s right. As a result, he becomes emotionally confused and quarrelsome. The real problem lies in the false beliefs implemented on him since childhood. This problem occurred due to his parents’ revolting nature. So, here the first principle is to understand the reasons for his parents’ behavior and make amendments to it.
This concept is nothing new, but it’s recommended for you to apply it whenever you face conflicts. Your regular use of this notion will help you bring great improvements to your personality. Then, your personality will help you attain positive idealism and a success mindset.
Here are some quick insights to help you inherit a success mindset and strong outlook towards life:
- Never take anything for granted, if something hurts others and can cause long term side effects, then it’s never right.
- Don’t sympathize, try to empathize with others. If you can’t do it at the moment, then take some time and give it a deep thought to the situation.
- Love someone but don’t expect anything in return because your expectation will hurt you, eventually.
- Always look for a good company. Don’t let anyone make you look miserable. It is better to change the environment before it changes you.
- Respect everyone irrespective of who they are because everyone has something to teach you to help you move forward.
- Encourage yourself to live a disciplinarian life. This is the most precious gift you can ever get in your lifetime.
- Don’t imitate others, work on developing the best version of yourself.
- Stay self-motivated, don’t wait for others to cheer you up. This is what actually means to be independent. Even if you feel like, ‘not today, I’ll do it tomorrow’, gather strength and start working. You must keep going, don’t let your emotions hinder your way.
What others say:
Here are some crucial points that I gathered from conversations with my peers and colleagues:
- Go for long showers: As per various scientific studies, you are able to find the perfect solution for your problem when you are not even thinking about it. This includes taking long showers or going for a stroll. There’s a valid reason behind it. During such activities, your brain is functioning at high-frequency and the neural activity is at its peak, especially in the right part of your brain. This makes you stress-free and thus, generates insights for your problems.
- Focus on one thing at a time: The prefrontal cortex of your brain controls your cognitive thinking and willpower. It is subjected to easy depletion. This means if you try to put your brain to work on two things at a time, then you are forcing fast exhaustion of your bain muscles. So, it is better to focus on one thing at a time.
- Daydreaming boosts creativity: As per scientific research, daydreaming is highly beneficial for boosting creativity. It causes an overflow of vital energy within the brain. This, as a result, stimulates the default network of your brain, so you can make new interrelations.
- Metacognition is the key: All your current thoughts are the result of your surroundings and past experiences. There’s a possibility that you can refine your current thinking by finding its source. Your engagement in introspection will help you better understand yourself and build up better thoughts.
Move from 'I know' to 'I don’t know' and see what interesting unknown facts start to manifest around you.
— Just my own thought
© 2020 PS Tavishi
Nikhil Sharma from India on May 31, 2020:
That's one of the most comprehensive and honest information I've read anywhere online. Wonderfully written and explained each and everything related to mindset and positive thinking.
We all know that mindset is everything. But most of us fail to make the required changes in our minds due to various reasons. And these reasons later became an excuse for our failures and liabilities and stops us from achieving our goals.
Your explanation of a fixed and growth mindset reminds me of a renowned international motivational speaker, Jay Shetty. I first came to know about this concept from him. But the way you've described and have given tips are also amazingly unique and helpful. Thanks for your writing such a wonderful article, Ms. Prachi