Ms. Monae is known by some as a fitness and health fanatic. She believes in living a healthy lifestyle with guilty pleasures in moderation.
The Not-So-Annoying Wristband
Some people are having a really hard time with the Fitbit Flex wristband. There is a lot of talk about not being able to close the clasp correctly. Some people are also having issues with picking the right size band for their wrist. The Fitbit Flex comes with two different wristbands, a small and a large. One of these wristbands should be a good fit. Here you'll find examples of how to wear the Fitbit Flex.If not worn properly it will not operate correctly. You want your Fitbit to be as accurate as possible so keeping it adjusted correctly is very important. My Fitbit Flex looks good and feels good on my arm. I wear it almost all the time. I keep it loose enough that I can get my pinky finger in it and it still tracks great.
How Do I Get Started?
Don't be alarmed when you don't see instructions in the box.
- You'll have to go to the Fitbit website to setup your Fitbit Flex and get instructions.
- You'll be asked to download the software and install it.
- A setup wizard will help you set up Fitbit Connect.
- You will go through a series of step by step instructions.
Tip: The easy way to get the tracker out of the charger is to hold the sides of the tracker with two fingers and push the back of it with your other hand.
Don't be intimidated by the wristband, it's rubber and bends. You won't break it when inserting the tracker.
How to Get a Fitbit Flex Wristband On
I have a small wrist. While waiting for the Flex to charge I changed out the clasp from the big band to the smaller one. The third notch fits my wrist perfectly. I can move the band up and down my wrist freely.
Your Flex should be worn on your non-dominant hand for best results.
- Put on the wristband so the window of lights are closest to the outside of your wrist and facing you.
- Align both ends of the wristband so they are directly overlapping each other with the clasp over the two holes that best fit your wrist.
- Squeeze both the clasp and the wristband between your thumb and forefinger until you hear a click. (It's more like a snap).
- You’ll know your Flex wristband is securely fastened if both ends of the wristband are fully inserted.
Tip: Practice closing the wristband off your wrist. Once you see what a closed wristband should look like, secure it to your wrist. Trust me once you try closing it off your wrist it will be much easier to put on. I personally believe closing it off the wrist somehow opens it up to close properly.
Setting your Goals
On the dashboard, see your progress towards goals for:
- Calories Burned
- Very Active Minutes
Goal Progress Each light on your Flex tracker represents 20% of your goal. When you reach your goal, Flex will buzz and flash in celebration of your achievement. This is awesome! People will notice how happy you are when this happens. The thing will vibrate like crazy!
Changing Goals To choose which goal is shown on your Flex display, go to Device Settings in your account. You can change a goal amount on the corresponding Dashboard tile. You can even set a goal weight. Watch your progress and achievements right from the dashboard. You will even receive badges when goals are reached.
How to Put the Fitbit Flex in Sleep Mode
Tracking Your Sleep (My Favorite Feature)
Fitbit includes auto sleep-tracking. The tracker will show two lights moving side-to-side. When you're awake and want to stop sleep tracking, tap until you feel the motor vibrate and see all lights flash. The iPhone and Android apps also allow you to start and stop a sleep recording.
Tip: Stand up when turning on sleep tracker. It will take fewer taps to activate.
Forgot to turn on sleep tracking? You can add a sleep log on the website or mobile app. Go to the Sleep section and add a sleep log.
Silent Alarms: Set a Silent Alarm from the Devices area of your account. (This is awesome! It will actually wake you up without scaring you half to death.)
I Need More Sleep!
I know I need to get more sleep and go to bed earlier. Most of the time I'm in bed around 11 pm. I usually wake up around 6 or 6:30am. I've been sleeping like this for years. I thought I would sleep more as I got older, but so far that hasn't happened. On this particular night the tracker shows I went to bed at 12:21 am. It took me 14 minutes to fall asleep. It shows I was awake 1x and restless 5x. A total sleep time of 6 hours and 22 minutes with an actual sleep time of 5 hours and 57 minutes.
Restless means you are moving, but not consciously awake. I remember getting up and using the bathroom once which accounts for the one time awake. The five restless times are probably me tossing and turning. I usually toss and turn like that every night unless I am completely exhausted or on vacation. For some strange reason I get the best sleep when I'm on vacation, go figure. Sometimes eight hours with only 2 or 3 restless times which I never get at home. I may have to start using my sleep logs as a good reason to get away more. I love all the features this product has, but the sleep tracker is the main reason I love my Fitbit Flex.
- Charging Your tracker battery lasts for about 5 days. To charge it, remove the tracker from the band and place it in the charger until all 5 lights are blinking. (You'll get an email when your battery is low, how kool is that.)
- Syncing When your Flex is within 20 feet of the Wireless Sync Dongle, your Flex will sync automatically with your Fitbit account. You can also sync via your smartphone if it supports Bluetooth Low Energy (4.0).
- Wearing Your Flex tracker should be placed inside the included wristband and worn on your non-dominant hand for best results. Flex is water resistant and can be worn in the shower and out in the rain.
Care and Wearing Tips
- Clean and dry the Flex regularly - particularly under the band.
- Wear your Flex band loosely enough to allow air circulation.
- Use skin care products sparingly on the areas of the wrist covered by the Flex.
- If you notice any signs of skin irritation or experience any discomfort, please discontinue use.
Fitbit Flex Features
- Track - steps, distance, calories burned and sleep
- Sync - your stats wirelessly
- See - real-time progress on your smartphone or computer
- Alarm - silent wake alarm
- Water resistant - you can wear it in the shower (but I don't)
*There is no clock on Fitbit Flex, however this does not bother me.
Fitbit Fitness Products
The Fitbit Flex Will Change Your Life
The quality of your life should be a priority. I love my Fitbit Flex. Not only does it track my activities, but it motivates me to do more. Tracking my activities and sleep are things I plan on doing for the rest of my life. The one thing you have control over in life is your body and mind. Protect them at all cost. You have to make a decision to live a healthy lifestyle, have a plan and stick to it. I'm always trying new things to make improvements to my healthy lifestyle. Some things work and some don't, but I keep improving. My greatest asset is my good health and I plan on living a long prosperous life.
Your Fitbit Flex Will Sync With ....
|iPhone 4S & 5+||Select Andriod Devices|
Samsung Galaxy S lll+
Mac OS 10.5+
all newer devices
full list at fitbit.com/devices
What Comes with Your Fitbit Flex....
Wireless USB dongle
Large and small wristbands
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Miss Monae (author) from North Carolina on January 30, 2018:
Hi Linda. You can go to fitbit.com and login. Then go to settings, then notifications. You can opt in for email and or phone notifications. I use both just in case. I'm always upset when my battery dies! Stay fit and focused.
Linda on January 30, 2018:
How do I get an email sent to me when my fitbit flex battery is running low?
Miss Monae (author) from North Carolina on July 15, 2016:
Yes Tony, I actual bought a pack of 3 today. I'm really rough with my bands, Lol.
Tony Young from California on July 15, 2016:
Whats also good about Fibit is that there are a lot of replacement bands to customize your favorite Fitbit :-)
Miss Monae (author) from North Carolina on June 08, 2015:
I am still enjoying my Fitbit Flex. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. If you are having problems I recommend resetting your device. Plug your charger into a USB port and insert your tracker. On the back of the charger you will see a tiny pinhole. Insert a paperclip into the pinhole and hold for about 3 or 4 seconds. This will reset it, but will not clear your tracking data. I hope this helps anyone having trouble.