Robert Brown is a Writer and a Blogger. He loves to write about the content that gives value to the readers. He loves humanity.
Double chins may not always signify poor health, but they can harm self-esteem and social standing. Many of us are told to keep our chins up, but it can be challenging when another one is pulling it down.
It's not impossible to reduce or get rid of your double chin, if not completely eliminate it. If you've noticed this before - in photographs and in the mirror - here's how you can make those jawlines a bit more defined. You look older and heavier than you are when you have extra fat beneath your chin.
You don't have to let your double chin frustrate you anymore. Furthermore, you can get rid of double chin with simple exercises and a healthy diet.
What Causes Double Chin ?
Understanding how the body forms a double chin may help you learn how to get rid of the double chin itself.
A double chin is caused by extra fat that develops under the chin. There are also different factors that influence the formation of double chin under the skin.
- In addition to the influence of weight gain on a double chin, an unhealthy diet that is high in calories, processed foods, and saturated fat may increase the likelihood of weight gain.
- Genetics may play a role in determining who develops a double chin. It is possible for people with a history of double chins or skin with little elasticity to develop one themselves. People with genetic history of the condition might be more susceptible to developing it themselves.
- In older people, the skin can begin to lose its elasticity, creating sagging or extra skin underneath the chin.
How to Get Rid of Double Chin - Diet
Some people find that reducing the amount of calories they consume each day may reduce the appearance of a double chin. A weight loss diet may also help to reduce the appearance of a double chin.
Some healthy eating principles are as follows:
- Consume four servings of veggies every day.
- Consume fruits every day.
- It is better to use whole grains rather than processed grains.
- Avoid eating processed meals.
- Intake lean protein Consume healthy fats like olive oil, avocados, and almonds.
- Reduce your sugar consumption.
- Exercise portion management.
- Consume low-fat dairy products.
- Fried meals should be avoided.
How to Get Rid of Double Chin - Exercise
Exercises can be a very effective way to tighten the skin and remove the fatty cells around your chin.
Exercises like these can firm up the area beneath your chin, often referred to as double chin yoga or facial yoga. Performing these exercises on a regular basis will help you gradually eliminate this bad fat.
However, this must be done slowly and regularly for best results. Simple exercises can help to reduce the appearance of a double chin. While there is very little scientific proof of their effectiveness, these exercises generally work the muscles of the neck and face.
Bottom Jaw Exercise
- Face the ceiling while tilting your head back.
- Make sure your head is turned to the right. Move your lower jaw forward.
- Release the tension after five to ten seconds
- You should repeat the process on the left as well.
- As much as you can, stick your tongue out straight ahead.
- Raise your tongue upwards and toward your nose.
- Release after holding for 10 seconds.
Exercises like this help strengthen muscles and give the neck a rest while sitting at the computer. Maintain a straight back and relaxed shoulders while doing this.
- While looking up at the ceiling, tilt your head back, then close the lips in the position you use for whistling.
- It is important to keep the lips relaxed, but tight enough that the neck contracts on both sides.
- If you're comfortable in holding this position for ten to twenty seconds, one sitting usually suffices. But try to do more repetitions in one sitting.
Keep your arms and shoulders relaxed.
- Tilt back your head to look at the ceiling while standing straight and tall.
- Extend your lips as far away from the face as possible and try to kiss the sky.
- You should feel the muscles in the neck and chin flexing and comfortable at the same time.
- Hold this position for 10 to 15 seconds before relaxing.
- Repeat the exercise as much as possible.
Despite its seemingly small purpose, chewing gum can be helpful to those trying to get rid of a double chin. Chewing gum after eating can make people feel full for a longer period of time, which makes them less likely to eat more food.
People who are trying to lose weight can reduce their diet's calories by chewing gum. Regularly chewing gum strengthens the jaw and helps you lose fat around the chin, though it won't make an immediate difference by itself. It is also a minor workout for the facial muscles.
Straight Jaw Exercise
- View the ceiling by tilting your head back.
- Feel the stretch under your chin by moving your lower jaw forward.
- Just hold your jaw for a few seconds.
- Place your head in a neutral position and relax your jaw.
Take a 9- to 10-inch ball and place it under your chin. Depending on personal preference, a ball's size can range from 5 to 10 inches. I recommend a ball that is easy to squeeze.
It is best to do the ball squeeze while seated with your back straight and your shoulders relaxed.
- Place the ball underneath your chin.
- You should press down on the ball steadily and firmly with your chin.
- In each session, this can be repeated up to 25 times.
Genetically-caused double chins will tighten up with exercise. Weight loss may not help. In these cases, your doctor will consider advanced treatments such as:
In order to get rid of your double chin faster, lipolysis treatments may be the best choice for you. There are two main methods of lipolysis for the reduction of a double chin: injection or laser.
The injection lipolysis treatment reduces the appearance of double chins by breaking down fat cells through injections at 4-6 week intervals. It is recommended that patients undergo this procedure multiple times at least once a year to achieve optimum results.
Both procedures target fat cells, but laser lipolysis does not require an incision as it uses laser energy to melt the fat. While both of these procedures tend to be painless, side effects including swelling and pain are possible.
Like injection lipolysis, mesotherapy involves injecting a solution (deoxycholic acid - commonly known as kybella) into stubborn fat cells to eliminate them.
Mesotherapy involves injecting into the mesoderm, while lipolysis involves injecting into subcutaneous fat.
With liposculpting, fat is removed from the double chin either with suction or by laser. However, it won't improve elasticity of the skin; only the fat will be removed.
As the fat cells die, your body excretes them, resulting in a more pleasing chin.
Liposculpting also treats other areas of the body, including stubborn fat in the abdomen, thighs, and back, as well as the lower chin.
If you have a double chin, you're not alone. In fact, approximately 61% of adults have a double chin at some point in their lives, according to a study performed by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
The best way to get rid of double chin is to reduce your body fat. The best way to reduce your body fat is to lose weight. It sounds simple, but is not easy to achieve. You can achieve it if you have strong determination. I hope the information in this article helps you get rid of your double chin.
This content is for informational purposes only and does not substitute for formal and individualized diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed medical professional. Do not stop or alter your current course of treatment. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.