The Mayo Clinic defines hiccups as a "common condition that affects nearly everyone. Hiccups involve the involuntary contraction of the diaphragm — the muscle that separates your chest from your abdomen and plays an important role in breathing. Each contraction is followed by a sudden closure of your vocal cords, which produces the characteristic "hic" sound."
I have compiled a list of creative ways to get rid of those pesky hiccups. Who knows, maybe the true cure lies somewhere in this list...
Remedies: Eating, Drinking, Acrobatic, and Everything Else...
1. Drink a glass of water - hey it couldn't hurt.
2. Tip your head upside down - it will give you a new perspective on things...
3. Tip your head upside down and drink a glass of water - best of both worlds.
4. Hold your breath - but not too long.
5. Hold your breath and tip your head upside down - side effect: laughing fits from members of your family.
6. Eat a spoonful of sugar - also good for making the medicine go down I hear...
7. Plug your ears - Do not perform this remedy in public, you may attract unwanted stares from those around you...
8. Stick your tongue out - Do perform in public...
9. Get scared - Recruit some of the younger members of your family for the task...I'm sure they will be happy to oblige.
10. Spin in circles - away from breakable objects.
11. Pull on your tongue - Also perform in public, I mean if you really want it to be effective...
12. Suck on a lemon - lemon drops don't count.
13. Chew gum - hey, if that doesn't cure your hiccups, your breath will smell awesome.
14. Gargle water - Try gargling the ABCs...make it all the way to Z.
15. Place an ice bag on your chest - well...why not and give it a go...?
16. Blow air out slowly - Do this about 5 times.
17. Plug your ears and drink through a straw - No bubble blowing.
18. Eat peppermint - What? I guess the gum wasn't enough.
19. Drink something hot - Tea time!
20. Lie flat on the floor on your back - also good for meditation.
21. Eat a spoon full of honey - instead of putting honey in your tea, just down the honey, then drink your tea.
22. Down a shot of pickle juice - not for the faint of heart.
23. Drink salty water - Do this near a sink, just in case...
24. Eat a spoonful of peanut butter - Then give one to your dog, observe reaction.
25. Drink water through a napkin - It's the new and improved water filtration system! Brita doesn't have anything on this tip!
26. Breathe into your sleeve - Air filtration system!
27. Jump up and down - Do this at least 10 times... shake those hiccups out.
28. Do a handstand - Try this against a wall so you don't fall over, although the falling aspect could scare the hiccups out of you...eh your choice.
29. Eat a teaspoon of mustard - Also not for the faint of heart.
30. Splash your face with water - make sure there is a towel at the ready.
31. Pinch your nose while you drink water - Also handy for eating things that don't taste good.
32. Pinch the back of your shoulder - Who knows...
33. Burp or sneeze - If you can do this on command, I'll be impressed.
34. Do math in your head- 1+1=2+2=4+4=8...blah, blah, blah...
35. Try to cough - into your shoulder please.
36. Eat yogurt - Cure hiccups and get a healthy snack too, sounds like a winner to me.
37. Suck on ice cubes - also helps relieve an upset stomach.
38. Plug your ears and drink water at the same time - Good luck with this maneuver.
39. Freeze a metal spoon for about 5 minutes and place the spoon on your temple -Just make sure it doesn't stick to your head.
40. Start drinking from a glass and rotate the glass all the way around till you are drinking from the place you started at - Bottoms up!
HI! on May 27, 2018:
Spining in circles worked for me!
Person on May 12, 2018:
I stuck my tongue out. It worked!!!!
Wynn on May 11, 2018:
Hold your breath and plug your ears. As if you were under the sea .. until you cant take it anymore. Works
Just Me on May 09, 2018:
Blowing air out slowly work for me!! Thank you. I hate the hiccups.
Salvador on May 04, 2018:
I cured my hiccups by pinching my nose and singing boodles by ben j.
Thanks for the tips.
idunnokthxbye on January 30, 2018:
after reading everything holding my breath and plugging my ears they went away
No one on January 03, 2018:
The best thing for me is to distract myself. Also... altho it only works once and a while, I think that I WANT the hiccups to come back and then its like all they wanted to do was annoy me and it didn't work and goodbye hiccups. lol
mystery on December 17, 2017:
pinch of sugar under you tounge works best with me
laura on November 22, 2017:
these are good cures for hiccups but some of them sound gross LOL XD
Avery on October 26, 2017:
Name three animals that live under the sea trust me it works some people say it only works once in your life that part wasn't true in my case ;)
Olivia on October 25, 2017:
Nat mcd on October 25, 2017:
Drink vinegar cider vinegar best
Randomo on October 17, 2017:
I tried the drink something hot but didn't work... then my young brother drank it and went crazy and the next thing you know... MY HICCUPS ARE GONE
Randomina on October 17, 2017:
I was trying to do the handstand then before I even started... BOOM! The hiccups were gone! Guess I was a little scared.
some other random person on October 13, 2017:
i tried all of them cause i was bored and i had hiccups
lolio on September 28, 2017:
none of them worked for me except the plug your ears while drinking water one
Some random person on September 07, 2017:
:( tried but none worked
Rachel Geronimo on August 30, 2017:
I burped then sneezed and boom it was gone.
Strea on August 12, 2017:
Holy cow the math one worked!!! Wth?
Maxeca on June 28, 2017:
I love peanut butter...so I tried it and it Worked!! Now I can go back to sleep. It is 4:06 am.
Thanks to all who suggested it
lucylucky on June 26, 2017:
i did number 16 and it actually worked, thanx.
I like chocolate on May 07, 2017:
I was looking on websites about how to cure hiccups, and they made me so distracted that they went away! :-D or maybe it was all the silly methods I tried...
Layla Lola laugh on April 25, 2017:
#12 works every time thanks for the help oh I have hiccups bye
Samatha on March 28, 2017:
These are the most funnyest things in the world!
I like ice cream on February 20, 2017:
I tipped my head upside down, plugged my ears and spun in circles and my hiccups stopped. Maybe cause I was lying on my back or probably cause I wasn't thinking about them
Anonomous on October 22, 2016:
Do a pig noise while drinking Coca-Cola or other fizzy drink, may just be coincidence, but it worked for me!
D on October 07, 2016:
Another one, as gross as it may sound, is getting a sooonful of sugar and pouring vinigar on it. Usually the fear or taste of eating the vinigar gets rid of your hiccups. Sometimes it is the only thing that works for me! :)
Aubri on September 01, 2016:
Spoonful of peanut butter
GOM on August 04, 2016:
Drinking a glass of water while holding my breath always works for me.
Psychosocil on July 23, 2016:
I tried mostly all of these and didn't work. Then I drank water and it worked. SHOULD HAVE DONE UT EARLIER IT WAS GETTING ANNOYING
Shantelle on July 20, 2016:
Suck on ice cubes.. nothing else worked on me but that.
Kayla on July 04, 2016:
I did number 4 it worked In a second
Lindsey on June 29, 2016:
So I just tried this based on the content about a vagal response, and it work instantly!
Press on both sides of your neck right over your carotid arteries. Took less than thirty seconds! !
Fay on June 26, 2016:
Number 4 has always worked for me
KreiD Dent on June 15, 2016:
I made my own remedie
Samantha on June 09, 2016:
Eat some gum worked I dont have the hiccups anymore.
Alyssa on April 29, 2016:
A way I found to get rid of the hiccups really fast is plug your nose and drink anything upside-down
J.E.M on April 13, 2016:
Here is another tip, I lost my hiccups by reading these 40 tips, and i have had mine all day!! Lets hope they dont come back.....
Love the tips, they are entertaning and useful
Carlos Trevino on March 27, 2016:
Take a laxative worked for me :)
MyKynzii on March 12, 2016:
Nothing is helping and I have done all of these
Kat on March 05, 2016:
Thank god I looked this up, got hiccups four times today. Holding my breath and having my head upside down helped.
Collete on February 25, 2016:
The ice helped me
Steve on February 03, 2016:
Smoking weed or a few drags of a cig yo! Cures hiccups everytime.
Alivia on January 17, 2016:
This website made me lie on the floor covering my ears and breathing out slowly and I still have them what do I do
Nataly on January 08, 2016:
I swallowed 10 times while pinching my nose worked great
Hannah on January 02, 2016:
Eat a spoonful of peanut butter. Like, swallow a glob of peanut butter. Totally works.
Gorger889 on December 29, 2015:
The blowing out air 5 times really helped!
Mary on December 23, 2015:
Eating a spoonful of peanut butter just worked for me after 30 min of hiccups
Crystal on December 22, 2015:
A spoonful of peanut butter works every time!
Tony on December 21, 2015:
pressing a spoon (bottom up) to the roof of your mouth helps as well
Jacy on November 15, 2015:
I did number 11 and it worked! Thanks for the great ideas. My boyfriend does number 25 and it works wonders for him. Also, thanks for the laughing session :) hehe.
Tamra on November 01, 2015:
I did the math one. And it worked for me. Thanks
Addrian on October 31, 2015:
Try making yourself burp about 3 or 4 times it works for me
BossStatus on October 17, 2015:
Number 11 Worked For Me
Nightmist99 on October 17, 2015:
Plugging my ears and drinking through a straw actually worked for me!!
Ella on December 29, 2011:
failproof, stick the handle of a spoon under your tongue, and sip water from the opposite side of the glass. ^_^ you're welcome.
Erin Bower from Georgia on June 24, 2011:
There are lots of great ideas to try. Number 3 has always worked for me!
mega1 on August 27, 2010:
one more - drink the water out of the opposite side of the glass - something about the way it forces the air into your stomach displacing the bubble that caused the hiccups - it works! Great ideas here, and funny.
Holle Abee from Georgia on April 24, 2010:
Totally enjoyable hub with useful tips!
cjcarter (author) on October 26, 2009:
elvislady: Thanks for the feedback! This list was compiled from internet sources, friends, and family. Not too shabby huh? Thanks for your added tip!
elvislady from IONE, California in the USA on October 26, 2009:
Where on earth did you come up with your 40 cures. I got a laugh out of how bizzare some of them were. Here is #41 for you update list: Get a lunch size paper bag. Crinkle the top 2" in like you are wrapping a neck of a bottle. Then place you mouth inside the crumpled up part and breath
in and out. I guess it is the oxygen being used up, but it does stop the hiccups for some people. If you start to faint, please remove paper bag and go back to breathing normal.
cjcarter (author) on September 27, 2009:
Zollstock- I absolutely love the quirky, old fashioned, health remedies. Kudos to your mother-in-law!
Zollstock from Germany originally, now loving the Pacific NW on September 26, 2009:
Thanks for the laughs! Some of these weave in and out of folklore. We were told as kids to pinch our nose and swallow up to 10 times (I remember a kid passing out upon performing this. It DID cure her hiccups). My mother-in-law of Hispanic origin insists a red thread placed on the forehead will cause them to cease. Oh well ....