An Essential Part of Every Lifestyle
Introduction to Healthy Eating
It you are like most people, you probably want to be in better shape. You want to do something that will make you healthier and help you to lose weight, and at the same time, be fun. Well, a few positive habit changes will make a big difference in how you feel, look, and act. Healthy eating accompanied by exercise is the foolproof way and is the key to a healthy lifestyle!
Divide Your Plate Like This
Jumping Rope is a Simple Way to Keep Healthy
6 Simple Tips
- Resist the urge to go out and dine, and keep your fridge packed with healthy food.
- Eat whole grains and pasta, even though it may seem contradictory to losing weight.
- Buy healthy snacks in between meals that have protein and fiber.
- If you want to lose weight, track your daily intake if you think you are overeating.
- Head over to a gym every once in a while to lose pounds, don’t overindulge on vacation.
- Don’t buy excessive amounts of something you REALLY like, get single serve portions.
How to Stay Motivated
- Keep a record of your weight and loss, write it in a notebook, or on a chart. As you progress with your fitness goals, seeing that you are making progress will make you want to push on!
- Pick a picture. Yup. Choose a picture of how you would like to look after your whole weight loss goal has been reached. Don't stop until you reach that goal! But take it one step at a time, and remember that losing over 2 pounds a week, is unhealthy, and will not help in getting you used to long term habits. If you want to lose weight in a healthy fashion, doing what a size 0 model does is a very bad idea!
- Set a THESIS STATEMENT! No, not like an essay thesis statement. A personal thesis statement. Tell yourself why you want to lose weight. For example: "I want to lose weight so that I will look good in my favorite bikini." Or "I want to lose weight so that I can feel great and stay healthy."
- Think about a piece of clothing that you really love. Or something in a store that you wanted to get (i.e a tight shirt). Imagine yourself in your new sexy outfit after you lose the weight!
- Play some fun music while exercising! This is a surefire way to keep you in an upbeat mood, play something fun with a good beat during your weight loss exercise routine.
Healthy Fruit Salad
Choose Healthy Foods
Here is a list of low calorie foods, that are rich in nutrients and protein, and low in the bad saturated fats and trans fats that tend to pack on the weight and pounds
- Raisin Bran
- Scrambled Egg whites with Veggies: You'll Save: 40 calories, 100 milligrams of cholesterol, and 13 grams of fat compared with two normal scrambled eggs.
- Salad, with toasted crouton and NO dressing.
- Olive Oil (Replace your vegetable oil with Olive Oil, it's much healthier!)
- Turkey (Do not get smoked. It contains a lot of unnecessary sodium!)
- Shrimp (This food is low in Saturated Fat, and packs tons of protein!)
- Black Beans/Kidney Beans
- Yogurt (low fat/non fat) It's healthy AND delicious!
- Mixed nuts: These can be purchased at your local grocery store. Peanuts, Almonds,
Cashews, Hazelnuts, Pecans, and Pistachio nuts.
- All your basic fruits are great for weight loss, and when mixed together to create a fruit salad, they can be very delicious!
Top 10 Healthiest Foods for Weight Loss
- Dark Chocolate (Cocoa powder is rich in flavonoids, antioxidants shown to reduce "bad" LDL cholesterol and increase "good" HDL levels.)
- Salmon (Omega 3)
- Tea! (Read this article for information on the benefits of slimming tea)
- Garlic (It's a powerful disease fighter )
- Spinach (Great for eye health)
- Beans (Reduce your risk of breast cancer!)
Healthy Simple Snacks
Running is Extremely Healthy
What about Exercise?
Yes. Exercise is important. But you don't need millions of fancy workout routines to lose weight. In fact most workouts do not help you lose weight unless you are very overweight, instead they help tone your muscles and develop them, and since muscle weight more than fat, doing a toning routine might actually cause you to gain weight (but the good kind of weight). So focus instead on running. Buy a pair of quality sneakers so you do not hurt your ankles, and start off slow, on a treadmill, or around your neighborhood. Start with 10 minutes at a time and work your way up to 30; or more if you can.
Always warm up before running! Stretch for about 5 minutes. Stretch all your muscles, or otherwise you might end up getting an unpleasant ache that can last for days! Do the same after you finished running. Stretch again for 5 minutes to cool down, otherwise the blood that is rushing through your veins stops abruptly, which results in side stitches and numbness after running!
There is another great benefit to running (Even if it's just a small amount a day. Read this article about another great benefit of running!)
Or Try a Treadmill
Treadmill Workout Tips
RedElf from Canada on April 14, 2010:
Nice hub! Welcome to Hub Pages!