Health benefits of turnips:
Turnips are root vegetables . It means that the edible part of the turnip is its roots. The roots are usually round in shape and is usually whitish with little purple colour thrown in at places. Turnips are eaten raw in salads and also can be used as vegetables. The turnips are easily available all the year round but are mostly available in summer months when they come fresh. Turnips are rich source of starch just like potatoes but they are not as rich as potatoes. They have nearly a third of calories as in potatoes by weight. Both the root as well as leafs are eaten. Leaf is green in color and is much richer in vitamins and anti oxidants than the roots.
- Since they contain about 1/3 calories as that in potatoes , so they are good for those who are trying to loose weight.
- The turnips are from family of cruciferous vegetables. Thus they are a rich source of Anti oxidants and photo nutrients. These both are associated with fighting cancers and free radicals in the body. The turnips are also very rich source of glucosinolate. The glucosinolates are known to help liver in clearing out toxins, inhibit growth of tumors and fight development of cancers.
- Turnips are rich source of foliates which is a part of Vitamin B complex. The foliates are known anti inflammatory agents and known to helpful in heart diseases and prevent heart attacks. They also reduce the levels of bad cholesterols. Hence they are very good for the heart and vascular system.
- Turnips are not only rich source of anti oxidants but also a very rich source of Vitamin C, A and E. Now Vitamin C is very essential for connective tissue health and repair. Thus turnip help fighting disease like scurvy, gingivitis and is useful for the repair of skin and muscles. Vitamin A is very useful in fighting night blindness while Vitamin E is necessary for skin and give skin its glow.
- Turnips are great source of Vitamin K which is essential in clotting in bloog. Vitamin K is also excellent anti inflammatory. So Vitamin K helps in controlling blood loss from the body in event of minor injuries or cuts by helping in clotting of blood at injury site.
- Turnips are very rich source of fiber too and thus help in digestive system of the body. Since fiber is very essential to fight indigestion and constipation ,thus it is very good for the digestive system.
- Since turnips are very good source of calcium and potassium which are essential for the health and formation of the bones. This it keeps bones healthy and fights osteoporosis.
- Turnips are not only high in fiber but also very low in calories. Thus they can be helpful in effective weight loss programm. The high fiber content in the turnips promotes healthy metabolism too.
Turnips can be easily eaten in salads or cooked with other vegetables. They can also be made in to pickles and thus can be eaten in variety of ways.
Disclaimer: I am not a certified doctor or dietician.. So please check with your doctor about its medicinal use and side effects . I have only written what can be benefit of this humble food if included in diet. Thanks
Check these Hubs too
- Health Benefits of Cauliflower by Indian Chef
health benefits of cauliflower, anticancer effect of cauliflower, why eat cauliflower, medicianal use of cauliflower, uses of cauliflower, Vtiamins in cauliflower, wait loss with cauliflower, wt loss
- How To Loose Weight by Indian Chef
Dieting now days is considered bad for the body as it staves the body but doesn’t cause weight loss. Infact if a person remains hungry for long time the body goes in to famine mode that is body thinks that conditions are not favorable
- Health Benefits of Sapota
Health benefits of chiku, chiku milkshake, health benefits of sapota, sapota, chiku, vitamins in chiku, vitamins in sapota, vitamin source, indian chiku, benefits of chiku, chiku ke phayde
- Health Benefit of Peanuts
Antoxidants, Food, Health, Health Benefits, Healthy, Junk Foods, Nutrition, Nuts, Peanuts, Snack, Snack Food, Snack Foods, Snack Tips, Snacking With Weight Loss, Snacks, Snacks That Are Nutritious,
- Health Benefits of Gur
Benefits of gur, health benefits of gur, gur in anemia, Iron in gur, Jaggery , health benefits of jaggery, panela, Hakuru, rapadura,
Indian Chef (author) from New Delhi India on February 27, 2013:
Thanks Marissa for checking the Hub and comment on it.
Marissa Buhalog on February 26, 2013:
Love to eat turnips during summer for it has a cooling effect to our body when the temperature is hot.
Indian Chef (author) from New Delhi India on February 15, 2013:
Rajan Singh Jolly from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on February 14, 2013:
I like to eat raw turnips. Thanks for sharing the health benefits of my favorite vegetable. Voted up.