Many people are CHOOSING to wear a face mask and it has NOTHING to do with the coronavirus.
Tony Sky (the author) is an unofficial legal observer and news reporter of London events and protests.
"Why are you wearing a face mask?". "Do you not realise how stupid you look?", "take off your f*****g facemask". And, if looks could kill, I'd be dead!
Those were the questions and comments (abuse) I received by protesters at an anti-mask / anti-lockdown protest in London, UK, where thousands of people without face masks had rallied to oppose the government's guideline of 'locking down' and the 'mandatory wearing of face masks, calling it all a "PLAN/SCAMdemic" — created to enforce 'Marshall Law' and 'control' society.
My replies... "the coronavirus is NOT the reason why I'm wearing a mask." And, "If you were in MY shoes, I would NOT be harassing YOU for choosing to wear YOUR face mask for whatever reasons YOU choose to wear it for." Plus, my mask protects me from all the smoke flares you set off at every protest!
Also, the protesters kept shouting at everyone through megaphones about how "harmful facemasks are" (while puffing on cigarettes), but I don't tell them to stop smoking, or how stupid they are for doing so!
And, another thing is, one second they were telling me to remove my face mask, the next second they were telling the police without facemasks to put on their mask, not knowing or asking if they were exempt, or an antimasker!
Plus, what is the point of these protesters chanting "freedom, freedom, freedom (footage)" if I'm not allowed the freedom to wear a face mask!
Since 2020, when the world came under attack from the coronavirus (Covid-19), we all went under lockdown, and life dramatically changed for us all. Some have come to terms with it and accepted the government's guidelines, rules, and restrictions to help combat the virus and reduce lives by following their advice. Including the wearing of face masks.
Others, the 'anti-maskers' and 'coronavirus sceptic's' are quite happy to wear a mask depicting the image of 'Guy Fawkes' as seen in the 2005 film 'V for Vendetta' — a symbol of anti-government resistance which has become widespread among groups protesting against the government and financial institution, as well as the coronavirus sceptics who think the government's and scientists are exaggerating the severity of the virus.
The anti-vaxxers believe that the plan is to implant trackable microchips when injected with the coronavirus vaccine, and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is behind it.
Unfortunately, they are taking it out on all the people who have chosen to wear their face mask. Choosing to follow scientists and governments guidelines to keep people safe — what's so wrong with that! Many don't know or believe the conspiracies, because they are not on social media, nor the Internet. They trust the government and the "mainstream" media!
This is OUR Protest. Dear Anti-Maskers...
Why we choose to wear face masks
Aside from people respecting the scientists and governments advice and rules to wear a face mask, the following comments are the other reasons why people are choosing to wear a face mask... along the lines of...
NOTE: All the below quotes were from radio, TV, social media and personal conversations.
- "I only wear a face mask, because it's compulsory in shops and on public transport".
- "I have had pneumonia 5 times since I was 3, and I look fairly young. That is what I am more worried about."
- "I have to wear a face mask. Where else can I hide my drugs, and emergency cash!".
- "It hides some wrinkles I hate. A silver lining in every cloud."
- "I wear my mask when I cannot be bothered to put on my lipstick or be assed to remove my upper-lip, and chin hair".
- "I always wear my mask... untill I'm out if sight of my parent's who expect me to wear them".
- "I used my wife's face mask to hide the bits of tissues stuck on my face from shaving cuts."
- "I bought a pack of masks, just to keep my face warm in winter, and to stop my nose from going red"
- "I no longer have big lips."
The Centre's for Disease Control and Prevention said, we can "save 100,000 lives in the next 100 days" (in the U.S. alone), if everyone wears a mask in public.
- "Okay, so the coronavirus may be a hoax, but I am not going to trust my life on a maybe."
- "Trust me, I look MORE attractive with my mask on."
- "It makes me feel mysterious."
- "I work in a shop selling second-hand items, which can be quite dusty and I have always wanted to wear a face mask, now I can without anyone laughing or staring at me."
- "Air pollution kills thousands, so why would I not want to wear a face mask in public".
- "I have noticed people don't stare at me as much". (said by my beautiful friend).
- "With some peoples mugs (face/looks), the wearing of face masks should be mandatory."
- "Why do I wear my mask? My dog loves seeing us both muzzled, it's as simple as that"
- "The main reason I chose to wear a mask is that I knew other people were genuinely afraid of catching Covid, so wearing a mask was my way of showing them compassion".
- "I am exempt from wearing a face mask, but I started to wear it again with my nose sticking out to breathe, to stop the evil eyes and comments I was getting from people in public."
- "When I wear my mask, I often find myself feeling like the bad guy in a film or on a robbing spree."
- "My dear wife's asymptomatic, and will die from the common cold, let alone the coronavirus if she catches it, that's why she chooses to wear her mask."
- "This is one way of dealing with the police's facial recognition CCTV."
- "At least nobody can tell I'm talking to myself while I'm at work".
- "I have to wear a face mask in all public toilets"
Studies have suggested that flushing a toilet can spray viral particles around a room. A person could then be exposed to SARS-CoV-2 by breathing in floating faecal matter, or by ingesting the virus after touching contaminated surfaces. Breathing in these particles can also cause other medical problems.
- "Shoplifting is that much safer with a face mask on."
- "I’m gonna be honest, I don’t really like interacting with people, and the mask makes it much easier to avoid that".
- "I hate wearing a mask, but I wear it out of respect for people around me"
- "I 'used' to be camara shy". I could tell by their eyes they were smiling.
- "Mines to protect me from my wife's farts which have got worse since she had a curry the other night."
- "I wear a mask because my teeth are probably my biggest insecurity".
- "You've probably heard of 'body dismorphia', that clothes can conceal, welcome to face dismorphia".
- "A disposable facemask was a lot cheaper than paying for expensive dental implants. However, I still can't chew my nuts"!.
- "For personal reasons, I'd wear my mask forever if I could"
To combat this virus, no matter how deadly or not it is, the easiest thing to do is wear a face mask, or face visor.
And, when the pandemic is over and the government decides it's time to stop wearing face coverings, if people still choose to wear them, they should be allowed to, without being judged or ridiculed, because we now know why many people are choosing to wear them.
A special 'thank you' to everyone who shared their reasons.
Please stop picking on us for wearing a face mask
© 2020 Tony Sky
Comments - Discussion
Eric Dierker from Spring Valley, CA. U.S.A. on October 03, 2020:
Nicely done. I wear a mask because my wife won't let me back in our home unless I do ;-) It seems to me that many people, for whatever reason, just don't use their judgment on such matters so a straight up rule is helpful.