Orthodontic devices are used to straighten the teeth or reposition the teeth. Sometimes they can be used to adjust underlying bone. The ideal age for starting orthodontic treatment is between ages 3 to 12 years. Teeth can be moved by removable appliances or by fixed braces. Dental braces are fitted by an orthodontist or a dentist.
Types of braces:
- Stainless steel braces
- Ceramic braces
- Gold braces
- Lingual braces
- Invisalign dental braces
Below you will find some of the foods you can't eat with braces.
List of foods to avoid with braces:
1. Hard foods: Anything that is hard cannot be chewed with braces on. It can break brackets, loose bands or bend wires. Some of the hard foods include ice, pizza crusts, baby back ribs, corn on the cob, hard tacos, peanut brittel, bagels, french bread crust or rolls, dried fruits, chips such as tortilla chips and cheetos, chicken wings and popcorn. Other foods include veggies and fruits such as carrots and apples. You can eat these foods if you cut into bite sized pieces or fully cooked. Otherwise you can avoid these foods altogether. Also remove stones from fruit (peaches and plums) before biting on them.
2. Sticky foods: Some of the sticky foods include sugar daddies, toffee, tootie rolls, gummy bears, caramels, licorice, starburst, bubble gum such as plain gum and bubblegum candies.These foods can get caught between brackets and wires.
3. Sugary foods: Sugary foods such as ice cream, cake, jelly, chocolates, doughnuts, jam, jaggery, pie, maple syrup, artificial sweetners, cream, cookies, and desserts should be avoided with braces. These foods can feed the bacteria and damage your teeth. If you do eat sugary foods once in a while, make sure to brush your teeth after eating.
4. Acidic foods: You should also avoid acidic foods with braces such as lemons and sodas.
5. Sodas and energy drinks: Avoid soft drinks such as coke and fanta. Also energy drinks such as red bull has full of sugar which can cause your teeth to decay quickly.
Do not bite on pen, pencils, and finger nails as they break parts of your braces. It is important to check with your doctor for bent or loose wires and brackets. In case of loose wire or bent, call your doctor's office immediately to arrange an appointment for repair.
- Foods you can't eat when pregnant
Here's is a list from raw meats to papayas that you should avoid during pregnancy like...
- Foods you can eat with diabetes
Foods such as bitter gourd, cinnamon, onion and garlic is good to lower the blood sugar...
Kevin on February 21, 2017:
I find this type stupid because I am 15 years old with braces and this is literally telling me I can't eat anything I grew up with. I guess it's helpful but it's nothing I can't just a call up my orthodontist and ask about. I wanted to know what sweets I couldn't eat and this website is telling me I can't eat soft nor hard sweets, contradictory to what other websites I went on, saying I can eat things such as doughnuts, chocolate(without nuts) and even more as long as I brush afterwords. Follow this and you won't live a life you would like.
McKay on May 26, 2013:
Tacos,,soda and candy. Three of my favorite things. Damn..!
Lachlan on April 22, 2013:
Getting braces today
kiera on January 31, 2013:
thanks cause i am getting braces
hina on October 08, 2012:
i m getting braces soon thnnx infromation,,,,,
;) on July 12, 2012:
thanks i ganna get braces soon and i wanted to know what u couldn't eat dang it im ganna miss the candy the most.......
dontworryaboutit on June 28, 2012:
Thanks I am getting braces soon.........
hehe on June 13, 2012:
im getting mine soon ahh im gonna die u cant eat anything good
Musmus on June 13, 2012:
Dear god im gonna die of starvation....... But thanks for the info!:)
brace face babe on May 13, 2012:
can't eat any thing !!!
ovais on April 29, 2012:
Thanks it was really helpful because I have braces and I want to know what not to eat.
:) :D on April 25, 2012:
Thanks Im getting braces 2morro but I don't want to wait till then to c what I can and can't eat!!!!
riki on April 08, 2012:
what is left to eat!!!
Brooke on February 03, 2012:
This was useful thanks a lot I am getting them on ere.
alexis on November 11, 2011:
thanks for that it i going to help me a lot because ive got to get braces soon so thanks a lot bye
skyler on August 08, 2011:
This was really helpful thx!!!