Synthroid is a medicine used to treat hypothyroidism. It is also known as levothyroxine. It improve the symptoms of thyroid deficiency such as slow speech, weight gain, hair loss, dry skin and lack of energy. It also helps to treat different types of goiter (enlarged thyroid gland). Tell your doctor if you have thyroid disorder, diabetes, anemia, coronary heart disease, history of blood clots, adrenal problems and pituitary problems. Seek medical emergency immediately if you have any allergic reaction such as hives, difficulty breathing and swelling in any parts of your body. It is important you take this medicine with 8 ounce glass of water. Take this medicine 30 minutes before eating. Read the label first before taking the medicine. This medicine may take weeks before your body start responding. The side effects of synthroid include headache, nervousness, hot flashes, changes in menstrual cycles, sweating and fever. Taking this medicine for long periods of time may lead to osteoporosis. Here are the foods to avoid while taking Synthroid.
List of foods to avoid while taking Synthroid:
1. Avoid goitrogenic foods: Foods that contain goitrogens may suppress thyroid function by inhibiting iodine uptake which is a important nutrient for hormone production. Iodine is a trace mineral and is found in diary, meats and small amounts in fruits and vegetables. Goitrogens also called as thyroid inhibiting foods. It depress thyroid function and stimulate the growth of thyroid.
Avoid eating raw cruciferous vegetables if you have hypothyoidism. Instead you can cook these vegetables before consuming. Some of them include cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, mustard greens, kale, turnips, rape seed (canola oil) and collard. Other goitrogenic compounds present in small quantities include pine nuts, millet, peanuts, peaches, sweet potatoes, radishes, cassava root and strawberries. These are mildly goitrogenic and you can take in small amounts. You can start eating these healthy vegetables once your thyroid problems gets better.
2. Soy products: Soy is another food to avoid while taking Synthroid. It is better to eliminate unfermented soy products when you take synthroid. Some of the unfermented soy products include soy nuts, soybean oil, soy cheese, soy protein, edamame, soy infant formula, soy milk, soy icecream, soy sprouts , tofu and soy beans. You can take fermented soy products in small amounts when you take synthroid. Fermented soy products include tempeh, miso and soy sauce. Soy products are also goitrogenic and suppress thyroid function. Soy is found in many packaged food products. Read the labels carefully when you buy any foods from the grocery store.
3. Avoid chlorine and fluoride when you take synthroid. Chlorine and fluoride block iodine receptors in the thyroid gland. Chlorine is found in tape water. Fluoride is found in toothpaste and tape water. You can use spring water and steam distilled water. Read the label when you buy toothpaste. You can buy natural toothpaste, because it is fluoride free.
4. Eating high amounts of fiber can interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone. Some of the high fiber foods include cooked black beans and lentils.
5. Drugs: Avoid taking these drugs before 4 hours or after 4 hours when you take synthroid. Some of them include calcium carbonate (caltrate, citracal), sucralfate, ferrous sulfate iron supplement and sodium polystyrene sulfonate (Kionex). Ask your doctor first.
6. Avoid antacids and cholesterol lowering drugs: Avoid antacids that contains aluminium and magnesium including amphojel, gaviscon, riopan, rulox and tums. Cholesterol lowering drugs such as cholestyramine and colestipol.
Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over the counter medications you take. This includes vitamins, herbal products and minerals. Avoid changing brands or changing to a generic version without consulting your doctor.
Connie on June 18, 2015:
Ive been on Syn for 25_ish years. I definetly notice when i consume any if tge above
New to me is floride/chlorine..ahaaa. I have gained 40 lbs after moving. I can smell the chlorine in the water. And since i started making my own toorhpaste i can breathe so much better.
I always ck with my Pharmacist b4 taking ant OTC stuff as they have the training.
Kathryn Blackwood on August 30, 2014:
My doctor never told me to avoid these foods either. No walnuts? That hurts. No black beans? I hope you're kidding me.
Yes, the guy whose wife has "porked up" is an idiot. Sure glad he doesn't belong to me.
Lisa from Central USA on July 24, 2014:
The doctor never said one word about avoiding these thank you
page peale on May 23, 2014:
I eat most of the foods listed and I eat them raw .This will be hard to stop doing.Just so glad I don't have the husband that said his wife has PORKED UP,what an ass.
connienclt on December 03, 2013:
Thank you ! I can't agree with you more. I am on synthroid and I had some symptoms after eating the foods you listed. Now I feel better because I know which foods to avoid.
Kathyd on July 10, 2013:
I take snythroid firs thing when I wake up
Late afternoon I like to cook my Kale steamed for 3 to 5 min.only is
this alright thanks Kathy
jessica Hubschman on April 08, 2013:
Judt want to know if I can eat bread
stanleyreese from Alabama on April 27, 2012:
Thanks. My wife is on synthroid and has porked up considerably over the last few years. I think I know why now.
LaDena Campbell from Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Near Oz... on April 27, 2012:
Most of the foods you list to avoid eating while on synthroid will be very for me...I think they are mostly disgusting! :)
Healing Herbalist from The Hamlet of Effingham on April 27, 2012:
Actually, you can eat broccoli, kale, and the others, if you cook them well. It is the raw veg that is unhealthy. Soy does not bother everyone taking Synthroid. It has never bothered me.