Aldactone is a diuretic medication used to treat high blood pressure. It is also used to treat congestive heart failure, kidney disorder, liver diseases, low potassium levels or hypokalemia and elevated blood levels of the hormone aldosterone. If you take this medicine for heart failure, your health care provider carefully monitor your blood potassium levels. The clinical name of the drug is spironolactone. This medicine come under the brand names such as Spiroton, Spiractin, Novo-Spirotone and Berlactone. Some of the side effects of Aldactone include tiredness, increased urination, upset stomach, difficulty breathing, skin rashes and itching. Other side effects include irregular heart beat, confusion and abnormal enlargement of one or both breasts in men.
Do not forget to tell your health care provider about all the medications, particularly potassium containing drugs, drugs for high blood pressure, digoxin, lithium and sandimmune. Also tell your doctor if you take these medicines on a regular basis such as cold medicines, narcotic pain medicine, allergy medicine, muscle relaxers, sleeping pills, depression and medicine for seizures. This can cause side effects of Aldactone. Here are some of the foods to avoid while taking Aldactone.
List of foods to avoid while taking Aldactone:
1. Avoid foods high in potassium: Avoid foods high in potassium while you take Aldactone. Some of the high potassium fruits include bananas, raisins, prunes, oranges, papaya, cantaloupe, avocados, honey dew, melons, mangoes and kiwis. High potassium vegetables include tomatoes, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, brussel sprouts and asparagus. Taking too much potassium containing foods may decrease the effect of Aldactone.
Meats high in potassium: Fishes high in potassium include cod, trout, salmon, tuna and canned fishes. Avoid beef, pork and chicken while taking Aldactone. These meats are hard to digest. Also avoid salt substitutes and low sodium milk products. Salt substitutes may use potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. These products may cause your potassium levels to reach higher than normal.
High potasssium drinks: Avoid canned drinks and drinks such as prune jucie, orange juice, tomato juice and carrot juice. Taking too much liquid is dangerous while you take this medicine. Talk to your health care provider first.
2. Nuts and diary: Avoid nuts such as almonds, brazil nuts and peanuts while you take Aldactone. Potassium is also found in fresh milk and yogurt.
3. Herbs: Avoid herb products such as dandelion, juniper, cleavers, horsetail and gravel root when you take Spironolactone.
4. Iodine and magnesium: Reduce the salt intake in your diet. Too much of salt can cause your body to retain water and make this medicine to work less effective. While you take this medicine, use only 300mg of magnesium per day. Ask your doctor about how much magnesium you can consume every day.
5. Alcohol: Avoid drinking alcohol when taking this medication. Alcohol may increase the side effects including muscle pain, numbness, irregular heart beat, upset stomach, drowsiness and shallow breathing.. Talk to your doctor first.
6. Others: Avoid becoming dehydrated or overheated while you do exercise. Ask your health care provider about how much liquids you must drink.
How to use Aldactone: Take this medicine as directed by your doctor. If you miss your dose, and it is time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and go back to your normal schedule. Do not take two doses at once.
Guidelines for Aldactone:
Check your weight at the same time every day. Call your doctor right away if you gain more than 2 pounds in one week.
Jeremy Leckington from United States on August 23, 2012:
Because of the effects that spironolactone has on hormones, Doctors are using it off-label for the treatment of acne. Great article : )