High Cholesterol foods
Cholesterol is a fatty substance and essential component to the human body. However, high levels of cholesterol can put people at risk of heart disease and diabetes. Always check your cholesterol level peroidically. Saturated fat is the main dietary cause of high blood cholesterol. It is found in foods from animals and some plants. Some of the foods from animals include beef, beef fat, lamb, veal, pork, lard, poultry fat, butter, cream, milk, and cheeses. Foods from plants include coconut oil, palm kernel oil, palm oil, and cocoa butter. Also avoid hydrogenated fat such as shortening and margarines. Below is a list of foods to avoid for high cholesterol.
List of foods to avoid for high cholesterol:
1. Meats: Organ meats is one of the foods to avoid for high cholesterol. Try to avoid organ meats such as liver, brain, kidneys and hearts. It contains the rich source of cholesterol. Five ounce of pork brain conatins 2000mg of cholesterol. Limit the use of beef liver, beef kidney, beef steak, ground meat, pig feet, hot dogs, sausages and bologna. Replace these with lean meats, fish, skinless chicken and turkey. Shellfish such as shrimp, oysters, clams and mussels should be avoided. They have high cholesterol levels.
2. Saturated fat oils: Avoid saturated fat oils such as butter, bacon drippings, palm oil, palm kernel oil, cocoa butter and coconut oil. Coconut oil is cholesterol free, but it is highly saturated. Instead you can use healthy oils such as canola oil and olive oil.
3. Trans fatty acids or partially hydrogenated oils: Partially hydrogenated oils found in margarines, shortenings, snack crackers, cookies and chips.
4. Milk and cheeses: Avoid whole milk, 2 percent milk, non dairy coffee creamers and whipped cream. Whipped cream contains coconut or palm oils. Instead you can use skim milk, low fat yogurt, low fat cheese and tofu. Try the limit the use of cream cheese, cheddar cheese, butter, cottage cheese and margarine.
5. Eggs: Whole eggs, and egg yolks is another top foods to avoid for high cholesterol. Instead you can use egg whites. You can make scrambled eggs and omelette using egg whites.
Books for high high cholesterol:
6. Fried foods: Avoid fried foods and fatty foods including french fries, doughnuts, fast foods fried chicken, fried tacos, and processed foods. Instead of deep frying, you can bake, boil or sauté in a pan.
7. Refined foods: Avoid refined foods found in all purpose flour, sponge cake, ice cream, jam, pastries, doughnuts, chocolates, artificial sweeteners, canned juice, cream pies, white sugar, muffins and croissants.
8. Alcohol: It is important that you try to avoid alcoholic beverages. Alcohol can make it more difficult for you to control cholesterol levels. If you choose to drink alcohol, only drink it occasionally and when your blood sugar level is well-controlled. It's a good idea to check with your doctor to be sure drinking alcohol is acceptable.
9. Others: Other foods include desserts that contain high fat content such as french vanilla ice cream, hamburgers, fried chicken, mcdonalds egg muffin, mcdonalds scrambled eggs, dunkin donuts bacon and cheese.
- Lowering your fat intake include removing the fat from meats before cooking them.
- Use egg whites instead of whole eggs
- Use skim milk and low fat dairy products instead of whole milk.
Foods to avoid while on high cholesterol:
- Foods to avoid while trying to lose weight
- Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Health Benefits of Olive oil - Benefits and Uses
theframjak from East Coast on October 22, 2012:
Thanks for the well written hub and all the great information. It's amazing and unfortunate how many foods we encounter each day that are on this list.
Personal Finance Tips on August 20, 2010:
This is a very comprehensive list. The one thing I would like to add is to consume more distilled water. This type of water is excellent in that not only are there no nutritional values or strange nutrients, it will help your body to regulate itself better. Thanks for the information.
Nora on July 22, 2010:
Everybody must know that cholesterol-rich foods are those made of animal products. This means that if you avoid taking excessive animal-derived products, you may keep your self safe from high cholesterol problems too.
Secrets of how to raise hdl cholesterol without medications.
1. Practice some light exercise
2. Keep your weight normal
3. Avoid eating saturated fats,
4. Eat at least 2 servings of foods containing soluble fibers daily
5. Beware that refined carbohydrates
Source of this info http://www.cholesterol-hdl-ldl.com/raise-hdl-chole...
taulandi on July 06, 2010:
This does not mean that you have to avoid all the above foods. But to take them just the right amount and not exceed more.
All the foods have cholesterol.
Sandy Mertens from Wisconsin, USA on May 04, 2010:
Thanks for the information.