I am Lakshmi. I've completed my graduation in the stream of ECE. I love reading and like to listen more than I speak up.
What is Paleo Diet?
Paleo diet is framed based on the food habits of the stone age people before the development of agriculture. It also called a paleolithic diet and a stone-age diet. In that era, people don't know how to process, cultivate, and preserve the food. They ate, whatever they hunted and gathered around their place, and they considered it as a means of survival. There is a widespread view that this eating habit is a healthier one in the world. This diet plan includes vegetables, nuts, roots, and Meat and, it excludes dairy products, sugar, salt, preserved foods, alcohol, coffee, Grains, and pulses.No carbohydrate and no sugar is the basic concept of a paleo diet. Instead of those two, some healthy fat must be included in the diet since our body requires some source of energy for day to day activities. People prefer this diet primarily to lose weight and to stay young.
Benefits of Paleo Diet
- This diet plan strictly avoids artificial preservatives, sweetener, and additives, which are the main reason for the reduction of the good bacterias in the intestine.
- The fresh vegetables and fruits provide antioxidants, anti-inflammatory nutrients, which thereby enhance the immunity level and reduce blood pressure.
- Eating red meat and fishes gives you lots of iron content.
- Consuming excess proteins and healthy fat helps to regulate your hunger and keep you away from junk foods, which in turn helps to reduce the weight.
- This lifestyle stimulates insulin secretion in our bodies and reduces the blood sugar level. People who follow this diet plan will have less chance to get affected with diabetes, cancer, and other heart-related ailments.
Foods to Eat and Avoid
Paleo Diet is fully packed with nutrient-dense food and eliminates genetically modified foods. Its primary goal is to prevent chronic ailments by adopting the style of eating of our ancestors. Paleo foods are high in protein and fiber and low in carbohydrate and refined sugar. Avoid foods with high sodium content and increase the intake of potassium-rich foods. Avoid Dairy products, trans fats, alcohol, and sugary drinks. Consume nuts and seeds in moderate since they are high in phytic acid and increase your calorie level.
Vegetables and Fruits
Generally, Fruits and vegetables are rich sources of Vitamins, Fiber, Antioxidants, and phytochemicals. We can eat almost all vegetables and fruits like Broccoli, Carrot, Spinach, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Eggplant, Green onion, All kind of peppers, Sweet potato, yam, Avocado, Apple, Bananas, Pears, Berries, Citrus, Melons, Grapes, Mangoes, and Plums, etc. But, remember that vegetables with high starch content and fruits that are higher in fructose have low nutritional value.
According to the concept of the paleo diet, fat won't make you fat, but the carbohydrate will. Hence, Natural oils and fats are allowed in this diet plan. Oils from tree nuts and flowers are preferred to consume, whereas seed oils, vegetable oils, and processed oils are not paleo-friendly. Olive oil, Avacado oil, coconut oil, Flaxseed oil, and Macadamia oils are good to use.
Prefer eggs,grass-fed meats, lean meat, shellfish, and wild-caught fishes, which are rich in protein and omega-3 fatty acids for your diet, and avoid Highly processed meats.
Do's and Don'ts in Paleo Diet
- Do consult a physician before starting a paleo about whether it suits to your health condition.
- Do include more fat and protein to make you full and don't skip your food at any cost since it will make you more tired and exhaust.
- For a week, you could feel some discomfort while changing your way of eating, so do stick to it.
- There is no necessity to do physical exercise during this diet.
- Drink water when you feel thirst and, it also the only substitute for all the beverages and sugary drinks.
- Try different recipes with paleo-friendly products and herbs.
Know more about other Diet plans
- The Most Popular Diet Plans
As diseases are increasing day by day, people are obsessed with diet plans. Here, I am going to share some of the fad diets, which rule the world for a period.
Lakshmi (author) from Chennai on October 24, 2020:
Thank you for your kind words Ariel Laur
Ariel Laur from New York on October 24, 2020:
Lakshmi, great information and photos! Keep up the great hubs!
Lakshmi (author) from Chennai on August 18, 2020:
Hi vandna patel,Thank you for your response and it motivates me to write more.
thoughtsprocess from Navsari (India) on August 18, 2020:
Nice information. Thank you so much for sharing.
Lakshmi (author) from Chennai on August 17, 2020:
Hi Danny,Thank you for your kind comment.Yes,planning meal before starting the diet would help to bring out a good result.
Danny from India on August 17, 2020:
Though our ancestors ate everything raw, they even consumed the bacteria which were laden on it.
It is healthier in terms of nutritious content but what we follow now is less healthy, more nutritious.
Paleo diet in today's age is healthier as we know how to process it before eating.
Nice article Lakshmi.