Amy is a beauty & skincare blogger. She has a vast knowledge about beauty & skincare remedies. She loves to guide people to look their best.
Aging is a process that non of us enjoy. We spend a lot of time and money to make our skin look young and beautiful. Humanity always tried to find 'The Fountain of Youth', but now i personally think mankind has finally found many ways to slow down the aging process.
Everybody want to stay young and beautiful, and your skin is the first indicator of your age. If we maintain a healthy lifestyle and adopt certain habits then age surely will be just numbers and you can slow down this process of aging for a longer period of time.
In this article I am going to share some foods to eat and to avoid to stay young and beautiful. (All these foods benefits and hazards have been thoroughly researched and collected from trustable resources, professionals and doctors)
Foods to Eat
Apart from other factors like good sleep, excercise and good state of mind, there are some foods which usually people do not take into consideration, but they really do help you to stay young and beautiful.
- Green Tea, this natural remedy is actually incredible. One of benefits we get from green tea is that it is full of antioxidants, which protects our body from free radicals. Free radicals are the unstable molecules formed during metabolism, the antioxidants found in green tea change the structure of these free radicals, neutralizing them and prevent their damage to our bodies. they also help in the development of collegan.
- Dark chocolate, the antioxidants found in dark chocolate are the best you can find. New researches are showing that it can reduce blood pressure, improve arterial function, elasticity and even insulin sensitivity. These special antioxidants protect your skin from sun damage and keeping your skin young and beautiful.
- Spices, do a lot more than to add flavor to your food. Cinnamon is a spice that has shown to boost collagen production, increase firmness to your skin and elasticity. Another beneficial spice is chilli pepper, they are full of capsanthin, which are helpful in age related skin changes and skin cells.
- Bone Broth, is very usefull, and many use it as medicine. You can make bone broth even at home, by cooking this, it releases many usefull components one of which is collegan. Many latest studies has found that using collagen improves skin elasticity, moisture and even firmness of your skin to keep you young and beautiful.
- Flaxseeds, have incredible health benefits. They can lower the cholestrol, reduce the blood pressure, decrease the risk of cancer and help you out in looking younger. They are also great source of Omega 3 fatty acid, and protect the skin from sun radiations and skin damage. One interesting study has shown that a women who consumed flaxseeds for 12 weeks had improved skin hyderation and smoother skin.
- Vegetables, different vegetables are full of different antioxidants, which reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, cateracts and even cancer. Many vebetable are rich in Vitamin C, which helps in the production of collagen with strong antioxidant properties. In one scientific study, the patients who took 180mg of Vitamin C per day for 5 weeks,had their skin antioxidant activity by 37%.
- Pomegranates, help in decreasing the inflammation, help prevent free radicals damage, and blood sugar level. It can protect you from skin damage caused by sun, and help repairing skin by increasing collegan production.
- Extra virgin olive oil, contains the healthiest fats on the planet. Researches have shown that it helps to prevent many age related diseases. It lowers the blood pressure, prevent metabolic syndrome, fights off cancer , the risk of heart diseases and much more. It can help your skin look young as it has 70 percent of mono unsaturated fats, which is accociated with skin elasticity and firmness.
- Fermented foods are the food which are chock full of probiotics, which are actually beneficial for your gut. There is something called the gut-skin axis, which is basically a concept that there is a conection between your gut and your skin. People who have unhealthy gut, often get inflammation and not so good quality of the skin as well. Fermented foods or probiotics can help to bring in healthy bacteria into your gut and that can result in healthier skin.
- Fatty Fish is actually the healthiest food or meat on the planet. Its meat is really an antiaging gem, as it has high quantity of Omega 3 fatty acid, which is beneficial against heart diseases, skin damage and inflammation. These good fats can moisturize your skin inside out, giving you more youthfull look.
Foods to Avoid
There are many other factors like stress, sun and smoking which speed up this aging process, but do you know apart from these thing one of the biggest contributers is bad and unhealthy food. Following are some food which you should avoid to look young;
- Sugar, is the biggest aging contributing food which causes premature aging. It interferes with elastin and collagen which are your skin's favorite proteins. When sugar is broken down it binds with collagen, and this binding with collagen cause wrinkles and sagging of the skin. It can also cause insulin spike in your blood, resulting in inflammatio, which itself is driving force of aging.
- Energy drinks, are loaded with refined sugars, acids and other harmful chemicals. They can damage your teeth and your smile will never be the same again as you will look older. They also contain high sodium and caffeine that can lead to dehydration, and when you are dehydrated your skin look older and wrinkled.
- Deep fried food Cooking food at high temperatures increases inflamatory compound known as 'Advanced glycation end products' or AGES. And AGES indeed do age you. AGES are the one of the main culprits in damaging the collagen of your skin. They encourage oxidative stress and inflamation in your body, which can speed up your aging.
- Processed meats, like solami, saussage and bacon have become a part of people's daily diet, but they can really speed up the aging process. This is due to the presence of preservatives and sulphites in these meats which are pro-inflammatory, making you look older. Processed meats are also full of trans fats. Additionally the high amount of salt in these products boost your water retention, making you look puffy.
- Fast foods, they are loaded with harmful trans fats, which cause blockages in arteries and results in the storage of fat in your body.This make your skin look stiff and dull. Trans fats also reduce the fluidity of your cells, put burden on your liver and boost inflammatory effects in your body leading to older, stiffer and more wrinkled skin.
- Vegetable Oils, like Canola and Soybean are highly processed and can lead to damage cell membranes. This speeds up the aging process and leave you with an increased risk to heart diseases. Vegetable oils are also rich in trans fats which promotes inflammation, making your skin more vulnerable to UV rays damage.
- Alcohol, effects your body's liver which is the number one detoxifying organ. When the liver is damaged or slowed in its ability to function well and flush toxins out of your system then the results as acne, wrinkles and sallowness are visible on your skin.
- Salty foods, with too much salt can lead to excess amount of sodium in your blood which in return causes water retention in your body and the skin, which can make your skin look bloated, puffy, tired and aged.
So it better to avoid these foods completely, or minimize their use. Adopt healthy eating habits to slow down the aging process and for more beautiful, youthful and younger you.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Amy Hassan