This Is Samia Farooqi, a Registered Pakistani Physiotherapist. I would be sharing some chunks of useful information through my writing.
Well, if you talk about pregnancy from a health perspective, a lot of changes are happening inside as well as outside a woman's body. Physical changes like increasing weight, body fat, and postural misalignments are the most observable ones. Some will have mood swings, food cravings, allergies, nausea, or morning sickness. On the whole, the hormonal changes happening inside the body contributes to these changes. But the thing is how to stay healthy while experiencing all this stuff, in what way you can boost your mood and stay happy and blissful. The answer is, stay active!
Besides exercising, eating in a mindful way also helps you to stay sound and relaxed.
Exercise helps in boosting your mood, keeps your posture aligned, and of course, you feel good about you
The Do's and Don'ts of Exercise
Following are the few things that one should take care of during the exercise session:
- Start with a warm-up of 5 minutes doing stretches or with a slow walk
- Wear loose-fitted clothing including a maternity or sports bra.
- Use properly designed shoes
- Eat enough keeping in mind the amount of energy you need for the exercise
- Never exercise to the point of exhaustion, start with 15-20 minutes initially then increase the time up to 30 minutes
- Keep hydrated before, during, and after the exercise session
- Walking is the most recommended exercise
- Do not exercise in a hot and humid weather
- 30 minutes of exercise at least thrice a week is recommended by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecology
- Do not go for activities involving jerks and abdominal pressure like tennis playing and leg raise toe touch exercise
- Do not exercise if you have high-risk pregnancy like low lying placenta, recurrent miscarriages, and the tendency for vaginal bleeding
- Always consult the gynecologist before involved in any kind of exercise
Benefits of Exercise During Pregnancy
Exercise during pregnancy develops a good feeling throughout the day. It improves stamina, corrects posture, and helps to prevent discomfort like generalised fatigue and back pain
According to an article published on WebMD," Exercise and Pregnancy" (August 28 2020), Tailor exercises strengthen the pelvic, hip, and thigh muscles and can help relieve low back pain. (The March of Dimes, The University of Michigan Health Systems). https://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/exercise-during-pregnancy#091e9c5e80036744-4-8
- Tailor sit. Sit on the floor with your knees bent and ankles crossed. Lean slightly forward, and keep your back straight but relaxed. Use this position whenever possible throughout the day.
- Tailor press. Sit on the floor with your knees bent and the bottoms of your feet together. Grasp your ankles and pull your feet gently toward your body. Place your hands under your knees. Inhale. While pressing your knees down against your hands, press your hands up against your knees (counter-pressure). Hold for a count of five.
Adopting an exercise routine during pregnancy keeps a mother-to-be in a good state of mind. Exercise also eases the labor phase. After childbirth, exercise helps to heal the body and regain the shape. A specifically designed exercise program can be followed if a female is having some musculoskeletal condition during pregnancy.
This content is for informational purposes only and does not substitute for formal and individualized diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed medical professional. Do not stop or alter your current course of treatment. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2022 Samia Farooqi