Brain: The Central Processing Unit of Human Body System
Welcome to this wonderful hub.
Let's first start by imagining the brain to act like a muscle! It gets stronger with every exercise. Our everyday mental task is like working, but how about a real work out?
These simple exercises highlighted below will boost your brain power, clear away the fog of forgetfulness, sharpens your brain and makes your thinking faster and your brain well enhanced.
Handling Tasks with Your Non Dominant Hand Is One of the Exercises That Sharpens Your Brain
Handling new task improves your brain capacity in younger people and has a restorative effect on mental faculties that are declining. Sharpen your brain and boost your brain power now by performing everyday activities with your non dominant hand, like putting your mouse on the other side of the keyboard.
Why does this work?
The human brain starts declining after the age of 30 especially in women with each successful pregnancy. By exercising your brain through the use of non-dominant hand, you are stimulating the opposite side of the brain and activating blood flow, which slows down the aging process and improves mental capacity. Evidence from functional brain imaging shows that the process of neuroplasticity, ( the brain's natural ability to form new connection) can be enhanced by studying new things,especially hand - eye coordinated exercise like developing the use of your non visualization mediation! Exercises like tai-chi coach people to use the right and left side of the body.Like tennis,try switching the racket to your non dominant side when playing. By doing this,you are exercising and sharpening your brain cells .
Do Things Differently: learn to write with left hand instead of the normal right hand for right handed individuals
Giving Your Brain Serious Tasks
You have to use it or lose it! you can work out your brain just like you work out your body. Mental exercises that will sharpen your brain and make it fit include doing crossword puzzle, playing chess or memorizing names, shopping list and phone numbers. Every day try to memorize a new poem and recite it back. Learn the words to a poem or a new song and repeat them back from memory. Set aside calculators and calculate manually instead. Keep challenging yourself with task that are new to you.
Whatever mental exercise you choose,the key to success is to practice every day at the same time,you are developing and activating new neural pathways and consistent cycles will help keep your brain on track thereby exercising and sharpening your brain.
Mental Exercises like Playing Chess Helps Sharpen Your Brain and Keeps It Fit
Best Chess Board
Move Your Fingers to Exercise Your Brain and Improve Its Capacity.
Many people marvel that Asian children seem so intelligent. It could be because they use their fingers more frequently. They eat with chopsticks and at one time most compute with an abacus in school and in fact some studies have been done with children who use an abacus daily, and findings shows that engaging the fingers stimulates nerve ending that go directly to the brain, and increase circulation.take advantage of this by practicing activities that use finger tips,like crocheting, knitting and other arts and craft where you are manipulating small parts you could try playing piano or a string instrument.
Here is an exercise you can do for yourself, and anywhere at anytime. Put a finger on top of the next to it,then try to stack the next finger on top of that or hold a pencil or pen between your index finger and middle finger, roll it over until its balanced between the middle finger,then again in between the ring finger and pencil, this exercise has a beneficial impact on brain health for anyone at any age, but especially for people in their 40s ,50s and beyond when signs of brain ageing starts to set in.
Why does this work?
A map of the brain shows that the nerve ending on your fingertips correspond to more areas of the brain than any other part of the body area, except perhaps the tongue and lips. Therefore exercise and movement can be useful in stimulating the neurons in the brain. The National Institute of Mental Health conducted experiments that showed finger exercise enlarged the capacity of the participant brain, increased connection between neurons, forged new neural pathways, and increased circulation to the brain... The researches concluded that finger exercise contributes significantly to brain plasticity, Increased oxygen and nutrient for the brain cells and decreased waste products that clog up the brain. Do this as often as you can and you will never regret it.
Finger Exercise by the Asians
Stimulate Brain Acquity with Self Massage
To improve concentration and memory, try this self massage that stimulates two easy acupressure point on the neck at the base of the skull. Cross your hands behind you with the palms cradling the back of your head, your thumbs in the groove on each side of the neck, and your index fingers crossing one another below the skull, just above the thumbs. Sit in the chair, learn your head back and let it rest against the pressure of your thumbs and index fingers. Slowly inhale deeply through your mouth letting your whole body relax. Do this for three to five minutes,you will increase blood flow to the brain, and at the same time relax your neck muscles which often tense up,constricting blood vessels in the areas. The idea is to improve on the rate of blood flow to the brain.This exercise sharpens the brain and makes you think faster.
Self-massage Helps Stimulate the Brain
May You Live Long,live Strong and Live Happy!!!
our everyday happiness depends solely on how healthy we are. if the motherboard (The Brain) of human system in good functioning condition, then our happiness is in full. as earlier stated, a healthy man is a happy man. Mental exercises is good and very important in human beings. it helps the young too grow richly, helps the adults to perform better and enable the old to be strong, active and articulating.
In Summary, below are some outlined simple daily activities included after series of research, practical analysis and conclusive evidence for brain enhancement:
- Maintaining all the brain enhancing exercises mentioned above.
- Routine is dangerous; learn to do new things and do old things differently.
- Switch hands and train the other hand to also perform some daily functions like teeth brushing, eating and operating the computer mouse
- practice different ways of eating; eating with chopstick, fork and even using ordinary fingers to eat without cutlery.
Because I wear my watch upside sometimes, I always think whenever I check time.
- Learn to wear your wrist watch upside down; this will lead to serious brain stimulation anything you glance to check time.
- Reading out novels and poems so loud enough as if you have a large audience listening.
- Feed your brain with good dose of omega 3 diets and vegetables
- Learn to take new routes in order to steer the brain from autopilot mode.
- Drink Coffee because it is a natural stimulant that activates the sympathetic nervous system, the part of the brain that speeds up cognitive functioning.
- Try doing things you have not done before.
- One apple a day keep the brain soaring because research has suggests that quercetin, a chemical found in apples, has neuro protective properties against cell damage.
- Challenge yourself and think creatively.
- Learn to socialize by indulging in real life skills like creative writing, playing musical instruments, traveling, camping, martial art, etc
Please, I encourage you to absorb all that have been elucidated in this article. Practice them on daily basis and you will experience great mental boost and sharpness which will improve your thinking, remembering and computing capabilities for a healthy living.
Many thanks for your reading interest in this article as I wait for your comments and testimonies.
Kindly check back in a short while for more updates.
Please share your opinion on these brain sharpening exercises
Dance to improve and train your brain
Coffee performs wonders in brain alertness
An Apple a day keeps you fit, mentally
Omega 3 diets is good for your brain
Learn new method of eating!!!
What to do to Keep the Brain Healthy at Old Age
1) Maintain favourable blood pressure and cholesterol:
- The small arteries of the brain are sensitive to elevations of blood pressure – and long term Hypertension can injure them. Several studies support the connection between blood pressure and brain health.
- Higher blood pressure correlates with poorer cognitive performance and damage to brain tissue.
- According to long term studies, the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia is more than doubled if systolic blood pressure is above 140 – 160mmHg for a long time.
- Cholesterol plays a role in the formation of amyloid beta plaques, a damage that is characteristic of Alzheimer’s disease. Please if you are above 50, and hypertensive always consult your doctor.
2) Check your Vitamin D level:
- Low levels of vitamin D are linked to cognitive impairment, and dementia in older adults, because vitamin D is involved in memory formation.
• Vitamin D is also involved in regulating glucose and calcium transport to and within the brain, and also protects cognition by reducing inflammation, and increasing availability of certain neuro transmitters.
- Get your vitamin D level checked regularly with blood test if you are above 50, and you notice random forgetfulness creeping into your life. Normal level 30 to 45ng/ml.
3) Take much of vegetables and Vitamin B12:
- If you are above 60, and start noticing confusion and depression in your life. Maintaining sufficient levels of omega-3 fatty acid DHA in the brain is an important measure for preventing neuro degenerative diseases later in life.
- Studies have shown that higher intake, higher circulating omega-3 DHA and vitamin B12 are associated with a decreased risk of Alzheimer’s disease, but let your doctor exclusively determine this.
- 20% of adults over age 60 are either insufficient or deficient of vitamin B12 – which causes problems in the brain, including confusion, depression and poor memory.
- Since your body’s ability to absorb vitamin B12 decreases with age, and the vitamin is not present in plant foods, it is wise to supplement. Ask your doctor.
4) Limit your consumption of red meat and other animal products:
- Copper and iron are essential minerals present in large amounts in red meat: these minerals accumulate in the body over time, and in excess they can harm the brain.
- Excess copper and iron contribute to oxidative stress in the brain, and are involved in amyloid-beta plaque formation in the brain which could lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
- As we age let us consume wore vegetables, beans and fruits. Stick to healthier white meat – like fish, snails, stock fish or chicken.
5) Focus on whole plant foods:
- A good rule to follow as we clock 50, is to have 90% or more of your diet in whole plant foods – meaning vegetables, fruits, legumes, beans, wheat, nuts and seeds.
- A diet higher in whole plant foods and low in red meat and dairy products was associated with 36% decrease in risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- If you are above 50 make sure your food is rich in natural healthy plant foods found in different parts of Nigeria. This is when you begin to to make amends for your youthful over-consumption-indiscretion, and your body will begin to regenerate and heal.
- At every meal, add more raw vegetables to your diet, as you age, by eating a large salad at least once a day. Add green-beans, tomatoes, paw-paw, raw onions, carrots, nuts and seed based dressings
As we clock 50, we should make conscious efforts to change our eating patterns. We should eat healthier foods.
Knowing that after half-a-century of clogging our system with junk-food, some of our organs are bound to be failing or have failed. I want you to enjoy your old age without infirmities.
© 2010 Okoli Onyedika Joseph
Have you performed any of these exercises to sharpen the brain? Kindly share with us your experiences.
Okoli Onyedika Joseph (author) from Lagos on August 01, 2017:
Thanks Seun for dropping by. Am happy you found this article educative. Please do always check back for new updates. Thanks
Seun on August 01, 2017:
Niicceeeee very educative
Okoli Onyedika Joseph (author) from Lagos on June 28, 2017:
Patricia Scott, many thanks for your comment, will surely seek out for the book you recommended. Most of us easily overlook the fact that our brain is the main central control system of our entire body and must be taken very seriously! Please always do check back for more updates.
Patricia Scott from North Central Florida on June 26, 2017:
You may wish to read Dr. Mike Dow's book, The Brain Fog. He mentions a number of important things we can do to care for our brains. Thank you for sharing this article with us...so much for us to know to keep our brains healthy. Angels are once again on the way ps