Benazir Marjan has been completed her second Masters in English Language and Linguistics from University of Liberal Arts, Bangladesh.
Covid-19 and Child Psychology
COVID-19 is a total disaster for the whole world. Education, job, economy, trade, business all just hampered to a great extent due to this issue. Life losses put some families in ocean of sadness. Some lost their income person, some lost their beloved ones. People went just out of track in both financial and mental way. This crisis is also suffering the kids and students in a significant way. Their regular school time, classes are not taking place. They are not able to go for play. Being confined in home for long time, children went out of their regular activities which put their health condition in a threat.
A child needs a healthy environment to grow up. His childhood upbringing will ensure his best teenage and adulthood. Therefore, it is exceptionally important to secure a fit environment for our child’s rearing. Due to Covid-19 lock down policy, kids are already started suffering through out the whole world. The specific five facts are describing bellow:
1. Due to home quarantine effect, kids have been suffering from depression and anxiety. As they are staying away from their regular life for a long time, it is making their mind dull and gloomy inside. They are loosing their self stimulation and motivation. Parents are getting worried about to handle their child in this exceptional and unpredictable situation. In most of the cases, children are disturbing their parents enormously as they are not getting the full taste of their previous life style alike before the pandemic. Lonely kids are getting dissatisfied due to sudden distance from their friends and peers, therefore feeling thwarted inside. For this reason, they are having strong psychological effect.
2. Breathing oxygen from open and green sphere is also important for a good health. Fresh air helps to send plenty of oxygen through the blood and allows our lungs to work at full capacity. Hence, this COVID-19 lock down is really depriving our kids from intake of natural air and hampering their all over physical and mental development.
3. As they are passing their time more on indoor gaming specially with different electronic devices like (tablets, mobiles, computers, i pads and notebooks etc), their manual labour is going down. They are doing less physical activities and excercises. This is how they are suffering from improper blood circulation in their brain and body. Due to less hard work, they are not getting tired and not having enough sleep. Brain regions have significantly higher blood flow during active sleep than during quiet sleep. Also lack of adequate sleep may cause erratic behaviour, poor cognitive functioning and performance (forgetfulness, making mistakes and slower thinking than normal). All of these are related to a child’s psychological issue.
4. Children aged 5 or 6 months who were just at the beginning stage of this lock down situation Just suffered in a tremendous way. As they got stuck at home right at the time of exploring the outside of their home, now they are scaring of outside world. Even some of them just start crying when their parents take them away from home after a long time. They are not interested to get in touch with new persons due to the situation. Their development of regular social behaviour got slow moving which is a significant psychological threat of this quarantine.
5. The study of the children are just affecting in weighty way. Being tight at home, they are loosing their concentration over studies due to lack of proper classes and also due to clear understanding. Even though online classes are taking place, but it cannot replace the virtual class and teacher-student communication at all. Therefore, students are mentally going down having in their mind about the inappropriate learning due to COVID-19 pandemic condition.
This COVID-19 pandemic has been fallen a strong negative effect in all aspect of our lives. It’s effect on child persona is just beyond any explication. Only parents of kids can realize how much hard it has become to handle their youngsters in this unforeseeable situation. As we know that an idle brain is devil’s workshop, therefore, these adolescents are just going out of their track. Even though it is the hardest job for parents to centralize them as much as possible so that it will be easy to make full recover once the pandemic will be over.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Benazir Marjan