Health Benefits of Fasting
Before I talk about the amazing health benefits of coconut water fast, let us consider the overall health benefits of fasting itself and why fasting has been practiced since ancient times in many cultures throughout the world.
Fasting is the oldest therapeutic treatment known to man. Over the centuries, fasting has been practiced for health, medical, psychological and spiritual reasons because the people actually experienced the benefits of fasting.
- There are many health benefits of fasting, the first one being detoxification. Fasting aids detoxification, which is a normal body process of eliminating toxins through the colon, liver, kidneys, lungs, lymph glands, and skin.
- The second health reason for fasting is healing. Fasting relieves the body of the burden of digesting and eliminating food so it can focus on healing and cleansing. Energy is diverted away from the digestive system towards metabolism and immune system, thus improving the immune system for the body’s own healing. During fasting, toxins are removed and the healing process is accelerated. The person is rejuvenated and this can assist in extended life expectancy.
Video on Coconut Water Fast
Benefits of Coconut Water Fast
Water fasts were common in ages past and are still used today. But there are certain top health reasons why you should consider coconut water fast. The cleansing and healing properties of coconut water has been relied upon for centuries in the tropics. Coconut water can be useful as an aid in detoxification to cleanse toxins out of the body and accelerate the healing process.
You may become very tired and lethargic and want to do as little as possible during water fasts. This is because water provides no nutritional support. During water fast, the body relies on stored nutrients to satisfy its needs. When the body’s nutrient stores become depleted the detoxification and healing process slows down. Where a person is sick and is already nutritionally bankrupt, continued water fasting can be detrimental.
There are many health benefits of drinking coconut water. In fact, the benefits of coconut water fast out-weighs fasting on water alone because:
- Coconut water is naturally high in essential nutrients. When freshly extracted from the coconut, coconut water is germ-free and parasites-free. Fresh coconut water is uncontaminated by bacteria, fungi, or other pathogens. The electrolyte profile of coconut is similar to human plasma. That is why Doctors working in tropical climates have often used coconut water as intravenous solutions and injected directly into the bloodstream to prevent dehydration.
- Coconut water is rich in electrolytes that are essential for maintaining proper functionality of nerves, heart and other muscles. It is high in potassium, chlorides, calcium and magnesium, with a modest amount of sodium, sugar and protein. The sugar is natural sugar. Coconut water is fat-free and low in calories.
- Coconut water contains a complex array of nutrients including trace minerals which come directly from the sea and which most other foods lack. This is because coconuts grow near the sea and the roots absorb water and nutrients from the sea which is stored in the fruit as coconut water.
- Coconut water is non-allergenic, very cleansing, a great thirst quencher and energizer. As a natural diuretic, coconut water increases urine flow. Coconut water also contains a high amount of dietary fiber that helps the body get rid of harmful toxins.
- Coconut water provides a balanced form of nourishment, containing coconut proteins, fats, carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins, all in solution in the purest distilled water. When fasting with coconut water, you remain well-nourished without having to experience the symptoms of a complete water fast, involving tiredness, lethargy, extreme loss of weight and strength, but can continue your normal life and activities.
What Others Are Saying
Coconut Water Detox: How to do a Coconut Water Fast
In coconut water fast, the only thing you consume is young coconut water, plain (filtered) water, and if you like fresh coconut meat. Try this for three days or the length of time you desire for your fast. Note that drinking too much coconut water, beyond the bowel tolerance, can also loosen the bowels as coconut water is a natural laxative.
The health benefits of coconut water fast is great compared to water fasting alone. If you want that great detox, lose weight on a coconut water fast diet, live a longer, healthier life, try coconut water detox through coconut water fast.
- The coconut water fast for detox that I write about here is for fresh young coconut directly from the tree. It is not the water from the brown mature coconut nor the white coconut milk that is obtained from the mature coconut.
- Coconut water is now packaged and sold in containers and you can easily find them on supermarket shelves. Packaged coconut water has been treated or altered with additives.
- It is recommended that you seek professional health advice before undertaking a processed coconut water fast.
More on Coconut Water
- Is Coconut Water a Laxative?
Coconut coconut water is a nutritious beverage and also a health tonic. But will drinking coconut water cause any problems? Coconut water is safe for all ages - babies at birth to old age. The only issue is it's a natural laxative. Find out more.
Brittany on October 10, 2017:
You gave me all the info I needed and the validation ! I’m going to rack up on coconuts
Rosa on May 02, 2016:
Very good information. Thank you!!
Jill Bond on October 06, 2014:
Can I use the carton coconut water for the fast?? I don't have access to fresh coconuts. Thank you for a very interesting article.
Kejanny (author) from Papua New Guinea on April 17, 2013:
Thanks Joelle (Kidscrafts). Maybe one day you can try coconut water. Regards, Kejanny
kidscrafts from Ottawa, Canada on April 15, 2013:
Very interesting hub! I never try coconut water but I love coconut milk :-)
Kejanny (author) from Papua New Guinea on April 08, 2013:
I'm glad this hub reminded you of those early island days and the nourishment that you received that has brought you a long way. Appreciate your kinds words. Best regards, Kejanny
Hawaiian Odysseus from Southeast Washington state on April 08, 2013:
I have grand-nephews in Hawai'i who thoroughly enjoy delicious coconut water. In fact, no soda pop for them!
It reminded me of my youth when Dad would use his cane knife to serve a fresh coconut up for Mom and us kids to enjoy.
Kudos to you for writing this most informative article. Voted up, awesome, interesting, and sharing!
Kejanny (author) from Papua New Guinea on April 06, 2013:
Hi Living Food, thanks for visiting this hub and commenting. It's easier if the nut's heavier, outer skin is husked so you can make a hole with a kitchen knife and drink it with straw.
LivingFood on April 05, 2013:
I'd like to try this...if only I had an easier time getting them open. Thanks for the great information. thumbs up!
Kejanny (author) from Papua New Guinea on April 03, 2013:
Hi Valene, yes coconut water and the soft meat has healing properties. I recently had operation for uterine fibroids and took only coconut water and the soft meat for 4 days after being discharged. 6 days from the operation, I was already on my feet doing normal tasks.
Valene from Missouri on January 25, 2013:
I had never heard of this, but this would be sort of cleanse I could handle, especially since you get to get the coconut meat. I think it would be very healing to your digestive track too!
Kejanny (author) from Papua New Guinea on January 17, 2013:
Thanks Monis Mas for visiting and leaving these encouraging comments.
Agnes on January 17, 2013:
I have some coconut water at home, it's been sitting in my fridge for a while now. Maybe it's time to put it into use? Thanks for a very useful and informative hub!