I served the healthcare industry for more than 10 years, especially on herbal products. Here i am sharing my intakes to help readers.
How Does Capsicum Help In Weight Loss?
Causes of excess body fat is related to several biological disorders, primarily they are
- metabolic and
- gut health
Capsicum is a package of Antioxidant, Vitamins and vital minerals and the ideal food for those who are looking for Weight loss Supplements.
The prime mechanisms of capsicum are to
- inhibit fat generating activities by reducing metabolic disorders
- inhibit fat generating activities by improving gut health
- increase satiety and
- protect cells from disorders and oxidative stress as antioxidant
- prevent major health issues arising out from obesity.
1. Mechanism of Capsicum to Reduce Metabolic Disorders
Among various obese patients worldwide it has been found that metabolic disorder is the most common factor of their obesity.
Due to metabolic disorder fat tissues are generated and stored in cells.
Consumption of Capsicum initiates Thermogenesis and boosts metabolic process through two activities:
- First, It divides food particles to micro level so that our body can absorb easily.
- Second, lowers triglyceride.
Moreover being low calorific value and having zero cholesterol it neither puts extra load to metabolic process nor forms fat.
2. Mechanism of Capsicum in Improving Gut Health
Poor gut health promotes fat generating activities. When gut health is good lipid accumulation in undigested food particles does not happen.
Presence of Phenolic acid derives Tannins which act as an astringent which is a wound healing agent as well as it frees intestine from enteric pathogens. Thus it heals the wound as well as prevents formation of organisms responsible to generate fat cells.
3. Mechanism of Capsicum to Increase Satiety Level
Increasing satiety level is a very common way to reduce weight.
Capsicum being rich is dietary fiber reduces the frequency of food intake. Dietary fibers take long time to be digested and thus make us feel full.
Lesser frequency of food intake eliminates possibility of fat addition, moreover system tries to dissolve extra fat to balance energy level.
4. Capsicum or Bell Pepper as Anti-Oxidant
Capsicum protects cells from the effects of extra fat and oxidative stresses.
Extra fats intervene multiple biological activities, retard actions of internal antioxidants and promote external oxidants to affect body cells. Thus cells face oxidative stress.
These oxidants either deform or damage cell DNA and excessive oxidative stress may form cancerous growth.
Capsicum contains Vitamin A, C and Phenolic compound which act as strong antioxidant to neutralizes these free radicals (oxidants) and protects our cell from Oxidative stress.
5. Capsicum and 5 Major Health Complications Arising out From Obesity
Obesity disturbs the way of life and increases medical expenditure by inviting many major health complications like diabetes, joint pain, low RBC count and even cancer.
Consumption of Capsicum.is found useful to prevent these issues.
1. Capsicum for Cardio-Vascular Health
Blood fluidity: Vitamin B6 and Folate helps to balance the Homocysteine level in such a way that blood does clot faster than required time.
Clear Arterial Passage: Fiber and Lycopene lowers fat level, its stimulant property dilates blood vessels and antioxidant property hinders to form arterial plaque. Thus risk of vessel congestion is reduced.
Blood Pressure: Presence of Potassium in Capsicum helps to keep adequate blood pressure.
2. Capsicum to Control Blood Sugar Level
Since its GI ( Glycemic Index) is low, it has ability to control the secretion of insulin, which in turn lowers the blood sugar level. GI is found lowest in Green Capsicum. So Green Capsicum is beneficial for diabetic patients.
3. Capsicum in Pain Relief
Capsicum contains Capsaicin. Capsaicin restricts the transmission of pain to Spinal chord and its anti-inflammatory agent reduces swelling. Capsaicin pain relief patch is used as pain reliever in some cases like, Arthritis and Herpes.
4. Capsicum Boosts RBC Counts
Capsicum contains iron (Fe) which helps bone marrow to produce RBC and thus reduce Iron deficiency syndrome. Iron concentration is highest in Red Capsicum. So Red Capsicum produces best result.
5. Capsicum Prevents Cancerous Growth
Presence of Carotenoid Lycopene and Pectolyte are effective in reducing risk of prostate, Cervix, bladder, pancreas and lung cancer.
9 Least Known Facts of Capsicum
- Origin of Capsicum or Bell Pepper is South and Central America.
- The highest cultivated country is Peru.
- Bolivia is believed to be the country of highest consumption and uses largest variety of it.
- There are two categories set by Bolivians, Ulupicas and Arivivis. Ulupicas is small round fruit whereas Arivivis is small elongated fruit. Ulupicas- (C. Cardenasii, C. Cabelleroi landrace, C.Eximium. and C.Eshbaughii). Arivivis- (C.Baccatum, Var baccatum and C.chacoense).
- It is commonly called Shimla Mirch in India.
- Many parts of the country call it Bell pepper. In south America it is called ‘Aji’.
- It is found in three colors - Green, Yellow and Red.
- Its scientific name(s) is Capsicum annuum L., Capsicum frutescens L.
Capsicum Annum Active Constituents per 100 gm
Calcium (Ca) 18 mg
Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid 242mg
Total dietary Fiber1.5g
Iron (Fe) 1.2 mg
Vitamin B-6 0.278mg
Carotene total (alpha+ beta) 0.694 mg
Total lipid (fat) 0.2 g
Magnesium (Mg) 25mg
Vitamin A 0.059mg
Cryptoxanthin, beta 0.050 mg
Total Saturated Fatty acids 0.021g
Phosphorus (P) 46mg
Vitamin E 0.69mg
Lutein + zeaxanthin 0.725 mg
Total Unsaturated Fatty acids, (monounsaturated + polyunsaturated) 0.12g
Potassium (K) 340 mg
Vitamin K 0.0143 mg
Sodium (Na) 7mg
Usage and Dosages of Capsicum
- Raw, Boiled or Cooked with spices.
- Stuffing and salad preparations.
Clinical usage (boiled and extracts)
- Skin care,
- Pain relief balms,
- Hair care products,
- Weight loss supplement and
- Other ayurvedic or herbal medicines.
There is a lack of enough scientific studies to confirm.
To get the best out of it over boiling or cooking should be avoided, else Lutein content will be damaged.
Capsicum Side Effects
Capsicum has no lethal side effects as such, but following effects are found in very, rare occasions :
- Stomach problem, Diarrhea
- Burning sensation at heart
- Burning sensation at skin
- Persons allergic to pepper may avoid it.
Facts and figures are as per knowledge, experience of author and published reports of medical or nutritional journals.
As reaction of any food item vary from person to person, author never advise to substitute his opinion with any advice given by qualified medical professional.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.