Take Care of Your Butt
It can be round, flat, big, little, jiggly, firm, or wobbly. But no matter what it is, most of us feel that our butt could always use some improvement. Your butt can look like a masterpiece, or a blob of jello, all depending on what you do to keep it in shape.
If your slacking off on your exercise routine, your butt will tell it to the world. Take care of your butt with these easy to do butt toning exercises that can be done in the comfort of your own home. These exercises will not only tone and slim your lower body, but will help fight cellulite as well. Because extra fat equals cellulite, and that fat is just what these exercises are going to get rid of.
Here is a little tip to help you get your hiney tight in no time! If you have a desk job, or any type of job that requires a lot of sitting, you can still work your butt muscles. Just clench the muscle, and release. Try to hold as long as you can!
Keep in mind that spot training alone does not work to help you lose weight. It is to be used as a way to tone the underlying muscles. If there is a layer of fat on top of those muscles, nobody will see how toned you really are!
The Best Exercises to Improve Your Butt's Shape and Tone
- Squats - Squats are one of the BEST exercises you can do at home to tone your tush. They also target the muscles of the hips and thighs. An exercise called the chair squat is probably easiest for beginners. First you will need to get a chair. One without arms would probably be best, but you can use whatever kind is convenient. You want to start standing up with your feet apart, and in line with your hips. Squat down while keeping your back as straight as possible and your abs pulled in. Move your arms out in front of you as you go down until they are straight out. Go down until your butt lightly touches the seat of the chair. DO NOT SIT ON THE CHAIR! Just lightly touch it and squeeze your butt muscles while standing back up. You want to take this slowly to allow your muscles to really feel the workout. You are not jumping up and down, but rising in a slow and controlled motion.
- Lunges - These are also a wonderful choice when done correctly. You can do this exercise with small dumbbells or without. We will discuss how to do it without. The main reason for this is that most people just starting an exercise routine do not own dumbbells. You will start in a standing position with your hands on your hips. Stand straight and tall while keeping your head facing forward and your back straight. Take either your left or right leg and move it front of you by about 2 feet. You do not want to go much more or much less than 2 feet. Keeping your back straight, use the leg that is behind you and let it drop in a controlled motion towards the floor. Make sure that you don't actually touch the floor with your knee. Slowly push back up to your standing position. Do 10-15 repetitions with the same leg, and then switch to the other.
- Kickbacks - Lay a mat or other type of cushioning on the floor. You are going to get on your hands and knees for this exercise. Get down on all fours, keeping arms and legs placed in the same position on each side for even weight distribution. Slowly raise one leg back behind you as high as you comfortably can. Try to hold it there for a second or two before returning it to the starting position. Remember no fast motions. You don't need as much muscle control when making faster motions so that would defeat the purpose of your workout. Take your time and really get those muscles working hard. Aim for at least 10 repetitions with each leg.
- Bridge - You are again going to use the mat or whatever you used in the last excercise. Lay down on your back, with your arms laying flat against the floor beside you. Bend your knees and lift your hips off of the floor. Keep your back straight and your glutes tight. Hold this position for a few seconds and return to where you started. Try to do this 10-15 times or more.
- Toe Tap - Lay on the floor once again, with your arms beside you and palms flat. Raise your thighs until they are perpendicular to the floor. Bring your knees up and bend at a 90 degree angle. Bring down one foot and tap your toe once on the floor. Switch back and forth beetween each foot for atleast one minute. Do not strain your back with this excercise. If you feel any back pain,rl refrain from reaching your toe competely to the floor.
- Step Ups - You will need a low bench or or other object that is sturdy. Do not use anything that is too high for you to step up onto. Two feet is an ideal height. Start in a standing postition, with your hands down at your sides. Slowly step onto the bench with one foot and raise the rest of your body up onto the bench. Go back to the starting position, taking turns with each leg.
Keep At It and Never Lose Your Determination
If you push yourself to do these exercises regularly, you will be well on your way to a swimsuit worthy behind. Just keep at it, and if you feel sore, go ahead and take a day off. Sometimes your body needs a break, especially if you are just beginning. Remember that a well balanced diet is a very large part of staying fit. Eat right and do your butt exercises!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2010 Annalisa
Pait on January 01, 2015:
You write so hontesly about this. Thanks for sharing!
ellie on July 02, 2012:
im seriously so embarrassed about my butt being flat i really wanna make it bigger but i need some help!
lucy on April 27, 2012:
How many times should you do the chair squats a day?
caitlin on July 02, 2011:
i keep trying to do the toe-tap exercise but i don't feel anything on my butt! i don't know what i'm doing wrong!
Rocks on March 13, 2011:
Hai frnds am vry lean but my butt size has becum bigger i feel vry guilty..my mariage s next mnth i want to reduce my butt fast pls help me out frnds
Rachel Paxson on December 28, 2010:
We all want the butt that every guy looks at and does it a double take. I am working on getting rid of the extra junk in the trunk. What is working for me is I recently purchased a product that I have to recommend to everyone. Please check out this website. http://www.buttexercisesonline.com
loseweightmama from Maine on November 27, 2010:
Great hub - I really love squats and lunges they work wonders for your backside.
FirstStepsFitness on October 22, 2010:
Welcome to HubPages Lisaluv9784 :) Have you ever tried the BOSU ? Lots of useful information and very well illustrated ! Thank you
kb24fanatic from philippines on September 09, 2010:
Nice hub! I'll try those exercises.
Annalisa (author) from Pennsylvania on February 01, 2010:
Thank you so much for the comment! You are absolutely 100% right.Stretching is a very important part of any workout routine.I will have to go through and edit my hub,and add something about that.
Katrina Ariel from The Highlands of British Columbia, Canada on February 01, 2010:
Great hub! I especially like that, while you highlight some excellent exercises, you do mention how important it is to have a well rounded (pun intended) approach that includes eating well. Also, when doing exercises like this it's important to stretch the quads, hipflexors, hamstrings and hips after to lengthen them out so they don't get over tightened.