I am a massage therapist with 15 years of experience. I am especially interested in crystals, energy healing, numerology, and wellness.
Why Is It so Important to Ground Yourself?
The simple explanation is that it reconnects us with the balance and harmonic energies of the Earth. Once connected we have clearer thinking without as much disturbance and can make more sound decisions. Our level of empathy and sensitivity to our surroundings and others increases which naturally allows ego like behaviors that are less desirable to dissipate.
Domestication is a word synonymous these days with proper, well-behaved, and civilized but some common side effects of domestication include anxiety, scatter-brain, nervousness, fear of outdoors, cabin-fever, agitation, and aggressive behavior. To be more grounded doesn't mean we have to give up domestication and become wildlings again. Creating a more holistic approach to living could be the cure or just remembering to get outside more and do things in nature, like gardening or playing sports outdoors especially if it means getting a little dirty.
We can also look to Merriam-Webster Dictionary for another simple definition for grounded.
adjective ground· ed | \ ˈgrau̇n-dəd \
Definition of grounded
: mentally and emotionally stable: admirably sensible, realistic, and unpretentious remains grounded despite all the praise and attention
8 Signs You are Not Grounded
If you are not grounded, you are vulnerable to being the product of your environment. It is like being blown in the wind. You are affected by whatever the mood is around you. Being grounded is like being a giant oak tree versus one of its leaves blowing at the will of the wind.
Here are a few signs that you are not grounded:
- High anxiety
- Strong impulse to hoard
- Feeling unfocused or takes you a long time to finish a project
- Moodiness or standoffish
- Difficulty communicating
- Your level of empathy for others is weaker than usual
- Highly impatient
Where to Begin - 3 Easy Tips
If the idea of having to get grounded is new to you or it's been a long time since you have reconnected to nature then this list may be for you. For most their level of groundedness isn't severe and they do a pretty good job of maintaining the balance, however, I'm not sure if you can be too grounded. This list is great for those on the severe end of the spectrum and feel out of sorts but is great for everyone because being connected and also conscious is extremely important. Being conscious of our level of empathy towards others, our ability to focus, our own level of anxiety and breaking points are good things to understand about ourselves. Making it a point to do something with purpose is a good first step to taking back the reigns of your life and adding some balance and control. So while reading this list of 3 tips to getting grounded remember to do so with the intention of getting grounded. The more detail and effort you put in, the more you get out of it and hopefully lots more sanity and calmness you will experience in your life. On a side note, prayer isn't one of the mentioned tips but it is one I believe in fully. Prayer is but a focused meditation in my opinion. I believe the more focused and detailed you are in your daily prayer or meditation practices the better results you experience in your now focused life.
3 Tips to Get Grounded Again
- Nature - Being in nature is not only naturally curing to stress but brings your energetic body back to center, calming your central nervous system. The moist fresh air naturally increases your desire to breath deeper which is a very good thing to do if you want to be more centered and grounded. Breathing deep is naturally calming just like a good yawn. One good tip for bedtime is to walk outside barefoot in the grass 10 minutes before you are ready to sleep. Intentionally doing this on a regular basis will begin to tell your mind that it's time to calm down from the busy day and should increase restfulness while sleeping. You can think of it as a 10-minute meditation. Remember not all meditation has to be legs crossed on the floor or blanking your mind. Walking the dog can also be a form of meditation which usually takes place outside in nature.
- Food and Drinks - Indulging in your physical senses especially by eating and drinking reminds you instantly that you are flesh and are of the Earth and need the Earth to replenish. The Earth is the grounding source involved in providing sustenance and life. Try to skip the caffeine if you are wanting to calm and be more centered and go for more Earthy teas. You can find many teas that are advertised on their boxes as Root chakra blends or grounding tea blends. You can also try juicing focusing on fruits, veggies, and roots. Eating foods that are directly from the ground help to have a more grounded like energy and to stay on first base and simple with your eating habits.
- Meditation or Focused Feeling - This method for grounding can be done almost anywhere and can sometimes only take a moment to get yourself centered again. It is important to bring our awareness inward remembering we are physical and whole. Bring your awareness inside to a part of your body such as your hands. Breathe and draw the breath in your lungs and focus. Imagine the breath moving toward your hands. Next, try alternating the breathing to one hand or the other. You can experiment and use other parts of your body or all parts until you feel grounded into the present moment.
Tools and Activities For Grounding
Earthy Teas especially Root Chakra Blends
Fruit and Vegetale Smoothies
Outdoor Activities such as walking the dog or enjoying quiet time outside before bed
Natural places such as Forrest, waterfalls produce negative ions which are very good for our health and getting grounded
Burying Feet in Sand or Dirt
How to Stay Grounded
Now being grounded and present to the moment, try to stay aware of your thoughts. For a while remain conscious of every thought and pay special attention to thoughts of worry or ones that cause anxiety and bring yourself back to only present concerns that matter at the moment. The simplest thought that matters at this moment is breathing.
Now that you have the idea of thinking in the present begin using your present time wisely by thinking present thoughts that will benefit your emotional health. Think now in the present that it feels good to smile, to relax, to breath deep, to be happy. Do this actively not passively. Worrying is like praying for more of the same, while actively thinking it feels good to be relaxed and to smile does the opposite. You do want to be happy, don't you?
17 seconds, that is the time believed to attract energy in harmony with your thoughts. Think of that for a moment. In only 17 seconds is it possible to go from happy to angry. For most of us, it may not even take that long. By conjuring a thought and feeling that grounds you, the time it takes to bring your awareness back to your more grounded center becomes less and less.
Inspirational Poem Earthing by Melissa Amber
Blessed are the feet
meaning pulsing through
the forest floor.
Blessed are the feet
the moistened soil,
the ground cover,
Blessed are the feet,
Blessed are the feet
breathing with Mother Earth,
beckoning her acceptance,
Blessed are the feet
celebrating being felt,
re*birthing their spirit.
Blessed are the feet
walking their truth,
dancing their purpose,
their sacred path
Poem: Earthing Author Melissa Amber Melissa Amber is an Intuitive Empath, Empowerment Mentor and Certified Wholistic Health Coach.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Maurice Glaude
Maurice Glaude (author) from Mobile, AL on November 06, 2019:
Thank you so much Manatita It's nice to have you grace my comments.
manatita44 from london on October 29, 2019:
A very holistic article and an excellent poem too, which relates very well.
You pics on grounding up top is invigorating, like new life. Yes, grounding is necessary. I hear they teach this in Kabbala. Great!