Bedwetting is one of the most prominent problems that threaten children and expose them to severe embarrassment, and they may receive punishment for that, but it is a pathological problem that must be dealt with care. Bedwetting occurs in children as a result of psychological factors by more than 90% and it occurs due to physiological factors at a rate ranging between 5%: 10%.
The most prominent physiological reasons are:
- Problems with the muscle or wall of the bladder, in which case the child is given medication that regulates the bladder muscles to regulate the process of urination.
- In case of the active nervous bladder, the treatment requires drugs that relax the bladder muscle to inhibit its functioning, if it is not useful, it is preferable to inject the muscles with Botox for its role in paralyzing the overactivity of the bladder muscle and thus reduces its activity and helps relax it.
- The presence of congenital defects in the spine from which nerves supply the bladder, and any defects in it affect the efficiency of the functioning of the bladder, and these cases require surgical intervention.
For Bedwetting, which is a result of the presence of psychological factors, it occurs as a result of the child's feeling of continuous fear and psychological instability, and his exposure to bad dealing, whether by the parents or even by friends. And his treatment needs in the first place to deal with his Bedwetting as if it were normal and to draw his attention that this behavior is wrong and that its place is the bathroom, not the bed, and he is assisted and trained in this through:
- Avoid giving the child any sweets, citrus fruits or liquids two hours before sleeping.
- Training the child to control the urination process and follow him up after sleeping every two hours, and wake him up in case he wants to urinate and enter the bathroom.
- Prepare a schedule for the child in which the number of days he has not urinated on the bed is recorded, and rewarded for that with the things he loves.
To get rid of this problem from the basis, we must be careful in dealing with the child, and there are some guidelines that must be followed when dealing with the child, including:
- Avoid harsh reprimand for the child, no matter what the child's mistake, and deal with the situation with discussion and draw attention.
- Avoid punishing the child harshly and use wise methods by drawing his attention or denying him his favorite things.
- Rewarding the child for the good behavior he does, as well as being punished for the mistakes he committed.
- Containing the child emotionally and psychologically to relieve pressure on his nervous system, and thus be able to relieve psychological tension.
- Avoid being mocked or compared with those around him.
- Avoid threatening and punishing him permanently.
- Avoid quarrels in the presence of the child.
- Avoid watching violent or terrifying scenes.
- Avoid insulting the child in presence of others, and if his parents want to punish him, they should take him away.
© 2021 Mahmod Shazly