Kim is a holistic health coach and a toxic-free lifestyle consultant. She obtained her studies from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.
Wheat Grass Benefits
You may have seen or heard about the green drink. That little 2 oz cup of green juice that people are drinking at juice bars or health stores is wheat grass juice.
Many people cringe at the thought of consuming this “miracle food." Whether it’s because of its pungent taste, or its bright green color, chances are most of you have never consumed wheat grass juice. Wheat grass juice is extremely beneficial as a tonic for various ailments, specifically as an anti aging drink.
I always believed that nature has everything we need to stay healthy, vibrant, and age gracefully. If there was really a potion that slows down the aging process, this is it.
What does it mean to AGE?
According to the medical dictionary, aging is "the process of growing older. It includes a reduction in strength, endurance, speed of reaction, agility, basal metabolism, sexual activity and hearing acuity. The bones are more brittle, the skin drier and less elastic and the teeth are shed."
You can delay the aging process by eating a healthy anti aging diet and being active.
What is Wheat Grass?
Wheat grass is actually the young grass of the wheat plant, Triticum aestivum. The blades ( or leaves) are commonly juiced into a green concoction. The taste is sometimes strange to some, therefore is usually taken as a quick shot.
It's often found in juice bars and health stores, such as Whole Foods. Wheat grass can also be dried into powder and pill form for consumption.
According to Ann Wigmore in The Wheatgrass Book, many people are now drinking shots of wheatgrass to help decelerate the aging process.
Wheat grass also contains amino acids, vitamins, enzymes, and minerals that can provide many health benefits.
Where to Buy Wheatgrass
How does wheat grass help with anti aging?
Wheatgrass contains chlorophyll
- The molecular makeup of chlorophyll is very similar to hemoglobin; the substance in our blood that processes oxygen and delivers it to our cells. It supports the anti-aging theory by maintaining healthy, clean blood to sustain health and vitality.
- Similarly, chlorophyll is the lifeblood of the plant. Chlorophyll also has antioxidants and is anti inflammatory.
- People who swear by wheat grass juice as a daily tonic insist that the high concentration of chlorophyll provides the greatest anti-aging benefits. After drinking wheat grass juice, they immediately feel increased energy. In addition, they also notice better digestion, better sleep, and improved circulation.
- Wheat grass, along with fruits and green vegetables are considered alkalizing foods. According to Dr. Otto Heinrich Warburg, our body functions best when it is at the optimal pH level.
Take this quick poll!
- Skin and body rejuvenation is largely dependent on enzyme activity. Wheat grass provides the spark to ignite the cellular renewal processes.
- According to research performed by Dr. Peter Rothschild, M.D. at Smith-Kline Bio-Science in Honolulu, young grasses are excellent sources of superoxide dismutase (SOD), a powerful antioxidant and anti-aging enzyme.
- The active ingredients in wheat grass juice are capable of cleansing the blood and neutralizing toxic substances. According to Japanese scientists working with Dr. Yoshihide Hagiwara, M.D., enzymes and amino acids in young grass plants de-activated the carcinogenic and mutagenic effects of toxic chemicals including nitrogen compounds as those found in automobile exhaust.
- Wheatgrass contains such an abundance of natural, whole-food vitamins, minerals, trace elements, and enzymes that it is literally a source of energy production fuel requiring negligible energy to even digest. Because of its easy digestibility and rapid assimilation, it's a natural energy supplement whether alone or added to a protein-type supplement drink.
The recommended dosage of wheat grass juice is:
- 1 to 2 fluid ounces of fresh-squeezed wheat grass juice once a day; or
- 1 tablespoon wheat grass powder (1 to 3 times a day); or
- 7 to 10 wheat grass tablets (500 mg) a day.
What are you waiting for? Get yourself a shot of wheat grass and feel the difference!
Kim Lam (author) from California on May 29, 2013:
Hi Melissa. How funny! My pit bull loves to munch on the wheat grass too! You're right, as with any type of food claims, it's best to experiment for your self. Everyone's biochemistry is different. However one fact remains is that the health benefits of chlorophyll is usually consistent. Good luck! Thank you for stopping by! :-)
Melissa A Smith from New York on May 29, 2013:
I feed my spotted genet fresh wheat grass and he loves it, despite being a carnivore. I take powered WG sometimes. It's always hard to determine fact from fiction when 'superfoods' are advertised, but hopefully these great benefits will exist for me and him, lol.
Kim Lam (author) from California on January 03, 2013:
Icmn91- Wheat grass juice is indeed gluten free! :-)
icmn91 from Australia on December 11, 2012:
I'll have to try some for myself (assuming it's gluten free - which I've heard it is - as long as one stays away from the seeds).
Kim Lam (author) from California on September 12, 2012:
Yes, the grassy smell can be hard to get used to. Lately I've been mixing it with passion fruit juice (from my backyard), and it taste a lot better. I would suggest pouring a bit of any type of sweeter/citrus juice like orange juice, mango juice, or even pineapple juice. Thank you for voting...cheers!
visionandfocus from North York, Canada on September 12, 2012:
We actually have a jar of organic wheatgrass powder sitting on a kitchen shelf. The pungent odour is what's been putting me off. Any idea how to make a palatable drink out of the powder? Now that I know the age-defying benefits, I don't want to let it go to waste. Thanks for a very informative hub. Voted up!
Kim Lam (author) from California on September 04, 2012:
Yes, it's definitely pricey! The last time I bought one at Jamba it was around $3ish for the smaller shot. I've been juicing my own ever since lol.
Thank you all, for sharing such great comments.
YogaKat from Oahu Hawaii on September 02, 2012:
I tried a wheatgrass shot at Jamba Juice. I enjoyed the fresh taste, but never knew about itʻs anti-aging properties. It is kinda pricy at Jamba Juice, probably more economical to get a juicer you're you're gonna do daily wheatgrass shots.
Faith Reaper from southern USA on September 01, 2012:
Very interesting and insightful hub. I have never tried wheat grass or knew of its benefits, especially for anti-aging. Thanks for the helpful information. In His Love, Faith Reaper
Ann Leung from San Jose, California on August 31, 2012:
I am one of those people who have never consumed wheat grass juice. With all the anti-aging benefits you've mentioned here, I want to give it a try. How much does it cost?