Facts & Figures
- Ideal pH range for human body is 6 to 6.8
- pH less than 6.3 are considered to be more acidic.
What is Acidity?
Acid is produced in our stomach for digestion of food that we eat. These acidic liquids are important to break down food we consume, but excess & shortage of everything cause problems. When gastric glands of stomach secretes acids more than what is needed by our stomach, it leads to Acidity and Gas problems. And in case gastric glands of stomach secretes less acid and food is not broken down easily leading to indigestion can also create gas problems. It is thus suggested to If food stays in stomach for long period of time, it can also lead to gas formation and puts pressure on your muscles creating pain. It can be very uncomfortable situation for you. Secretion of less acid is commonly found in aged people.
Stomach Acid pH Scale
Lemon Juice (Normal Stomach Acid)
Normal Esophagus, Normal Small Intestines
Egg White, Sea Water, Pancreatic Juice
Great Salt Lake
Ammonia, Hair Remover
Self Acidity Test Using Litmus Paper
You can test for pH level of your body fluids (saliva or urine) by making use of litmus paper. Blue litmus turns red in acidic medium. This test can be done an hour before meal.
Know the Symptoms
- Heartburn : It usually refers to burning sensation which happens 1-4 hrs after having meal. It is due to excess secretion of acid.
- Burning Feeling in stomach & Stomach Pain
- Chest pain & Inflammation
- Muscular contractions pain
- Vomiting, Coughing & Nausea
- Respiratory Problems
- Bad breath
- Bitter taste in mouth
- Mouth ulcer
- Bumps on tongue
- Gas Formation
- Water Retention
- Low blood pressure
- Sensitivity of tooth to acidic fruits
- Loss of Appetite and discomfort
- Hair loss
- Problems in esophagus and throat, change of voice
What do you think?
Know the Cause
- Overeating : It can lead to delay in emptying stomach.
- Eating quickly without chewing properly
Improper Diet : Excess of following create acidity problems :
- Fried Food
- Fatty Food like Chocolate
- Junk food
- Spicy food
- Vitamin C
- Side effect of some Medicines
- Excessive exposure to sun and heat
- Stress, Anger
- Lying down just after eating
- Improper sleep
- Not Eating on time, delaying meal, change in lifestyle
- Intestinal gas
- Lack of exercise
- Swallowed air E.g. while eating chew gum
Prevention is better than cure. Know the causes of acidity and avoid them is first step towards preventing acidity.
- Drink plenty of water : Water can help in regulating acidity of stomach.
- Eat food daily at same time. Do not delay Meals.
- Eat food slowly. Do not watch television or get distracted while having meal, it can lead to overeating and less chewing of food.
- Chew well before taking food in.
- Perform meditation, yoga and other stress relieving activities.
- Do regular exercise. Keep work life balance.
- Sleep on left side of your stomach and get a comfortable pillow.
- Eat fibrous food, light foods, green vegetables, low fat food.
- Make sure you wear good fabric comfortable cloth.
- Avoid excess of food that cause acidity. (Refer List above) E.g. Junk food, spicy food.
- Avoid smoking & alcohol : It can lead to prolonged heartburn and increase in stomach acid.
- Do not drink a lot of water while having meal.
- Avoid overeating.
- Avoid carbonated drinks.
- Do not do heavy exercise just after your meal.
- Instead of taking heavy meals, its better to eat 4-5 small meals as it helps in better digestion.
Cure (Home Remedies) for Acidity Problem
- In case of heartburn, avoid laying on your back. You can instead lie on your stomach for sometime applying little pressure on your stomach.
- Drink lemon + honey water early morning empty stomach daily. It helps in keeping you away from fat too.
Eat / Drink :
- Mixture of milk and Custard powder.
- Mix Baking Soda with water and drink it to get relief from heartburn related symptoms.
- Cold Milk : It has potential of absorbing excess acid.
- Coconut water : Drink it at least 4 times a day to get relief from heartburn and acidity.
- Basil Leaves (Tulsi) : Eat 4-5 tulsi after every meal. It promotes digestion, reduce formation of gas and has anti-ulcer properties and many more benefits too.
- Banana : It has high pH value which can help in neutralizing excess acid. High fiber in bananas help in better digestion. It also promotes production of more mucous by stomach lining which protects stomach from damage by acidity. Overripe bananas are more effective in curing acidity.
- Aniseed (Saunf) : It helps in improving digestion ability and has anti-ulcer properties too. It is widely used as mouth freshener. You can boil saunf in a cup of water and keep it overnight. Next day strain water, mix it with honey and drink at least three times throughout the day.
- Caraway seeds (Jeera) : It gives relief from gas formation. It promotes saliva formation which helps in digestion improving metabolism. You can mix 1 tbsp jeera in a glass of water then warm and drink it at least two times a day.
- Cardamom (Elaichi) : It has sweet taste and cooling properties. It helps in digestion and soothing stomach.
- Clove : It also promotes saliva formation which helps in digestion improving metabolism. You can mix clove powder with cardamom powder and eat it after every meal. You can even keep a clove piece in mouth and suck it slowly. Clove has many other benefits too.
- Mint Leaves (pudina) : Chew Mint to soothe your stomach. It can help in promoting digestion. Mint leaves are also known for curing bad breath & garnishing foods. You can make mint leaf water by boiling some chopped mint leaves in water. Drink this water to get relief.
- Ginger : It helps in breaking down proteins, protects against ulcer and absorption of essential nutrients. You can chew a piece of ginger or make a ginger jaggery paste. You can have this paste after every meal.
- Amla : Eat amla daily to be far away from acidity. You can get amla powder and have a teaspoon of it per day or you can even get amla candy in different flavors.
- Almonds : Eat almonds to get relief from acidity.
- Asafoetida (Hing) : Mix a pinch of hing in a glass of warm water. Drink this mixture every morning to stay away from gas problems.
- Black pepper : It promotes production of saliva and prevent acidity. You can have buttermilk with black pepper to help curing indigestion. You can make ginger, jaggery, black pepper paste too.
- Apple Cider Vinegar : You can drink the mixture of 1-2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar or even white vinegar in a cup of water. You can even mix 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with honey and have it before meal to avoid acidity.
- Cabbage Juice
Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasan)
Padma Asana (Lotus Posture)
Yoga Poses for Curing Acidity
- Salamba Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand), Chagrin Yoga's Pose of the Month for October 2010 - Y
Chagrin Yoga instructor, Kristen Shick demonstrates Shoulder Stand or Salamba Sarvangasana. Shoulder Stand is Chagrin Yoga's Pose of the Month for October 2010.
- Lotus Posture - how to master it - YouTube
For more advanced students only: Aruna shows you how to get into the full lotus posture. She first shows two preliminary exercises, then she shows how to put...
- Peacock Pose or Mayurasana, Advanced Yoga - YouTube
http://www.EkhartYoga.com Olav Aarts shows us how to get into Peacock Pose or Mayurasana. We are delighted to introduce you to Olav, a new member of the Ekha...
- YOGA FOR BEGINNERS - Yoga Asanas Exercise, Vajrasana - YouTube
Yoga asanas exercise, Vajrasana. This yoga practice brings success to the Yogis. One of the very few asanas, which can be done immediately after having a mea...
© 2014 livehightech
vivek on February 20, 2016:
I really like your article. Found it useful.
livehightech (author) from Delhi, India on April 02, 2014:
Thank you Akshay for liking this article :)
akshay on April 02, 2014:
Awesome article every one must read