If your heels are cracked, you're probably embarrassed about walking barefoot. You may also be in pain. Here's a quick and easy solution that'll heal your heels within a week.
You Will Need:
- Hydrogen peroxide
- A plastic bin
- Chapstick, or a similar lipbalm
- A foot file (not a pumice stone or a callus shaver)
- Add about a quarter cup of peroxide and enough warm water to cover your feet in the bin.
- Soak your feet in the bin for about 20 minutes.
- The peroxide will clean the cracks in your heels so they can heal properly.
- The hot water will soften the callus and get rid of debris.
- Get in the shower or bathtub.
- Take your shower or bath so your feet have time to get wetter and warmer.
- Wet the foot file and run it on the bar of soap (alternatively, put a little liquid soap on it).
- File the rough edges of your heels cracks and calluses with the soapy foot file.
- Don't file off the whole callus or the weaker skin underneath may crack.
- After your shower, dry off and apply lip balm to the callus and crack area.
- Wear flip flops for a while so the lip balm does not wear off too quickly.
- Apply lip balm after the shower
- You should start to see improvement after about a week.
- If your heel cracks again, repeat the peroxide soak to clean the crack.
- Lose weight if you need to. Heels crack under pressure on the heel pad.
- Wear closed-heeled shoes. They keep the heel pad from spreading and cracking.
- Eat healthy fats to keep your skin supple.
- After the cracking stops, file your heels with soap in the bath every time you wash. This will keep the heel from slowly redeveloping a callus.
Important Note for Diabetics
If you are a diabetic, please consult with your doctor about heel fissures. They need to be kept scrupulously clean, and you should wear sock and closed-toed shoes. Do not neglect foot health!